Christ's return

I've read the New Testament, particularly the Gospels, several times and it's always struck me that Jesus himself predicts the coming of the Kingdom of God within his life time. It seems that at some later point in his ministry, when he realized he might be killed for his preaching, he changed his tune and predicted that the Kingdom of God would come very soon after his death, within the life time of his disciples. It didn't happen, and his followers soon began inventing reasons why it didn't happen. The reasons are still being invented today.

Critics of Christianity have pointed out, particularly in the last 200 years, that Jesus appears to have been wrong in his prediction of the coming of the Kingdom of God, which I'm assuming includes his second coming. I agree that it appears that Jesus was wrong, so I don't believe that Jesus will return to Earth. Christians have had to defend against this charge of Jesus being wrong. There's one school of eschatological thought call Preterism that tries to explain Jesus words of the imminent arrival of the Kingdom by saying that all the events predicted in the Gospels happened after his death up to 70 CE.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by LadyShea
Couple of points here if ya don't mind

Rising_Suns and other Christians...correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Bible state (or at least indicate) that when Jesus comes again it will be in his full power as Lord? Being born and raised as a human again does not sound familiar to me as part of the second coming scenario.

The idea of my Christ going to be born again in the flesh is even new to me.  As far as I know, there are two other beliefs. 

The first one is the "rapture" depicted in the movie "Left Behind" where Christ will come back to pick up the Christians (where the dead will rise first and the living will join them in the cloud...2nd return) and then come back the third time to judge the world.

The other belief is...Christ will come back one more time to judge the world (no rapture specificly).  This idea is fairly new to me.  You can get more info: http://truthleftbehind.tripod.com

And as of the belief He will be born again in the flesh, I remember the Lord warning me not to believe rumors concerning Him being somewhere (in the house, room, wilderness, etc) where I can go and search (false prophets, etc). 

hope this helps :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Rising_Suns, I guess you havn't been to a real physics class have you.

Actually, I'm a 5th year mechanical engineering student at Georgia Tech...so yeah, i have taken 1 or 2 physics classes. :)

hey DLyte,

Good info.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Rising_Suns
Actually, I'm a 5th year mechanical engineering student at Georgia Tech...so yeah, i have taken 1 or 2 physics classes. :)

hey DLyte,

Good info.

Hey thats good, But i have also taken physics classes, and i am going to be a astophysicsist, But if you have taken physicis classes then you know that A god that is all knowing and powerfull, and heaven, and hell.

Breaks the laws of physics and is impossible, Science has proven that evolution is real, and the only proof of god is in the bible, where a few old guys sat down one day and made up some stories and gave them away as truth. There is no evidence of god. I believe in what science has found and i believe in science as the future of the human species.

Upvote 0

Messenger

Simplicity of Life
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟17,227.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by seesaw
Hey thats good, But i have also taken physics classes, and i am going to be a astophysicsist, But if you have taken physicis classes then you know that A god that is all knowing and powerfull, and heaven, and hell.

Breaks the laws of physics and is impossible, Science has proven that evolution is real, and the only proof of god is in the bible, where a few old guys sat down one day and made up some stories and gave them away as truth. There is no evidence of god. I believe in what science has found and i believe in science as the future of the human species.

Scientist continue to study because they are not All-Knowing. Science has not proven evolution otherwise it would be fact and no further research would need to be done. Science can help us to understand and find answers but science isn't the Answer. Science is man...God is ALL KNOWING. Putting Science before God is putting Man before God and that is wrong! Please further your studies because evolution is not Proven.

Love and God Bless.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by seesaw
Hey thats good, But i have also taken physics classes, and i am going to be a astophysicsist, But if you have taken physicis classes then you know that A god that is all knowing and powerfull, and heaven, and hell. Breaks the laws of physics and is impossible

What nonsense! That's like saying that, if you've read the Civilization III manual a few times, you will realize that no unit in the game can save and restore, so obviously, the player doesn't exist.

Physics tells you, at most, about the stuff *IN* the universe. It can't answer the question "what's outside the box?".

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by seebs
What nonsense! That's like saying that, if you've read the Civilization III manual a few times, you will realize that no unit in the game can save and restore, so obviously, the player doesn't exist.

Physics tells you, at most, about the stuff *IN* the universe. It can't answer the question "what's outside the box?".

HUH there isn't anything out side the universe.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Messenger
Scientist continue to study because they are not All-Knowing. Science has not proven evolution otherwise it would be fact and no further research would need to be done. Science can help us to understand and find answers but science isn't the Answer. Science is man...God is ALL KNOWING. Putting Science before God is putting Man before God and that is wrong! Please further your studies because evolution is not Proven.

Love and God Bless.

There is more facts for evolution, than for god. And evolution is proven just do some reading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Hey thats good, But i have also taken physics classes, and i am going to be a astophysicsist, But if you have taken physicis classes then you know that A god that is all knowing and powerfull, and heaven, and hell. Breaks the laws of physics and is impossible

Science has proven that evolution is real, and the only proof of god is in the bible, where a few old guys sat down one day and made up some stories and gave them away as truth. There is no evidence of god. I believe in what science has found and i believe in science as the future of the human species.

Who says that God breaks the laws of physics? Science doesn't say that "God doesn't exist". It just can't prove it either way. I belive in science too you know....See, you have to rely on other means outside science, like trying to do good in this world, trying to help people, trying to pray to God, trying to read your bible...these are all first steps you need to take before you can ever be convinced without a shadow of a doubt that God is very real. If you begin to make an effort, God will make an effort with you and you will then see all the proof you need, in your heart and in your life experiences.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Rising_Suns
Who says that God breaks the laws of physics? Science doesn't say that "God doesn't exist". It just can't prove it either way. I belive in science too you know....See, you have to rely on other means outside science, like trying to do good in this world, trying to help people, trying to pray to God, trying to read your bible...these are all first steps you need to take before you can ever be convinced without a shadow of a doubt that God is very real. If you begin to make an effort, God will make an effort with you and you will then see all the proof you need, in your heart and in your life experiences.

But I have done that. I do do good (not enough) and I do try to help people (not enough). I have tried praying and I do read the Bible.

Nothing. Why? Oh, I know - I am not sincere enough. Catch twenty-two.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
David,

If you are already convinced that God doesn't exist, then you will never be open to the chance that He does, no matter how much you try. I'm not saying that you do though.... Just don't give up. Persist on.

Try going to church services as often as you can..try making friends in the church...try participating in activities in the church...talk to people about the questions you have...be open to the possibility that God does exist, and observe from a non-biased standpoint. Seek and you will find....the key is though, you must truly seek.....not a half-hearted seek...not a "ok i looked both ways before i crossed the road, now i know the road map of New York City" type thing...ok bad analogy. But you get the point. God is talking to you, you just have to listen.

Sometimes it takes great tradgedies to change a person out of his old ways and make them better and stronger...don't wait around till this happens...act now before you really get slapped upside the head. The day may come when the walls of your life will come crashing down on you...everything will be lost and you will be in total despair..If anyone ever reaches this point, this is when God will really make the effort to be there and comfort you through it all. You can gain great faith through your worst times in life because it is then that God really goes out of His way to help you. But don't wait for this to happen..you can change now and avoid all the horror and despair......

Think of God as a father, and us as His son....when a son is in trouble and needs help, his father will come help him. When a son is leading his life with ease, the father will let his son on his own a little more because he knows he doesn't need to baby his son anymore as he grows up....and the father expects more of his son as he grows as well....Keep this in mind when reflecting on who God is. :)

Upvote 0