Christ's kingdom fulfills David's kingdom =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd share something you guys might enjoy =)

Scripture explicitly teaches that Christ's kingdom fulfills the Davidic Kingdom. (Ps 89:35-37; Isa 9:6-7; Acts 2:25,30; Luke 1:32-33,69-73).  So based on Augustine's statement that the old testament is in the new and vice versa we can come to an interesting conclusion:  What we see in David's kingdom, we should see in Christ's kingdom =)

Here's what I mean:

1)  Solomon's coronation upon David's Throne in 1 Kings 1:17,28-48 and Christ's coronation upon David's Throne in Matthew 21:1-17/Mark 11:1-11/Luke 19:28-38/John 12:1-16 are parallel by design!! (well almost) :p

2)  In the Davidic kingdom, Eliakim was appointed as a prime minister and so he was given authority (Is 22:21) as well as the keys of the kingdom (Is 22:22).  Eliakim was also to be called a, "father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem" (Is 22:21).  Likewise, St Peter is given the keys of the kingdom (Matt 16:19) and now we see that the Pope is called 'Father' =)

3)  In the Davidic kingdom, every king had a 'queen mother' (2 Kings 3:10, 2 Chr 15:16).  Solomon's queen mother was Bathsheba.  And scripture says something amazing about her in 2 King 16:17-19:

16 Now I have one request to make of you. Do not refuse me."
"You may make it," she said. 

17 So he continued, "Please ask King Solomon-he will not refuse you-to give me Abishag the Shunammite as my wife." 

18 "Very well," Bathsheba replied, "I will speak to the king for you."

19 When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king's mother, and she sat down at his right hand.

So what do we know?  Verses 16-18 tell us that Bathsheba 'interceded' (well sorta).  And verse 19 tells us that Solomon highly exalted her, made a throne for her and even bowed down to her!! :)

As for Jesus we know this much:  Since Jesus is the King of the Kingdom, then his 'queen mother' most naturally must be Mary :) And Catholics all agree that Mary does 'intercession'.  Maybe this has to do with why she said, "They have no more wine" (John 2:3).  On top of that scripture says that Jesus came to fulfill the law (Matt 5:17), which means Jesus fulfilled 'honor your mother' (Ex 20:12).  And as Hahn would point out:  Since Christ honored Mary, we should do the same.  Why?  Because we're called to imitate Christ.  And since Mary became a mother to us at the command of Christ (John 19:26, see also Rev 12:17), we should love her, simply because God commands we love our mothers (Ex 20:12) =)

This is neat stuff! =)

God bless!

-Jason

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Hoonbaba:

I love the OT info you found about Mary being the Queen Mother.

Doesn't it just blow you away when non-Catholics say that all the stuff about Mary is just a "man-made invention" by the Catholic Church? And these are the very same folks that accuse Catholics of not being "Bible-believing Christians"!!!!

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Yea, it's kinda ironic, especially with the protestant doctrine of 'sola scripture' LOL! =)

Anyway, everything that Hahn says about Mary is incredible.  One thing he said that absolutely too me by surprise was when he said:  Mary ultimately points to her son!  In fact scripture quotes Mary, "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior" (Luke 1:46-47) If anything, this defends the Catholic understanding of Mary! =)

Also I noticed something:  If the Father can raise up 'good children', then ultimately the Father gets the glory, not the children! =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Here's some more "interesting stuff."

2 Samuel 6:1-11 (ESV)
David again gathered all the chosen men of Israel, thirty thousand. [2] And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from Baale-judah to bring up from there the ark of God, which is called by the name of the Lord of hosts who sits enthroned on the cherubim. [3] And they carried the ark of God on a new cart and brought it out of the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. And Uzzah and Ahio, the sons of Abinadab, were driving the new cart, [4] with the ark of God, and Ahio went before the ark.
[5] And David and all the house of Israel were making merry before the Lord, with songs and lyres and harps and tambourines and castanets and cymbals. [6] And when they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah put out his hand to the ark of God and took hold of it, for the oxen stumbled. [7] And the anger of the Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and God struck him down there because of his error, and he died there beside the ark of God. [8] And David was angry because the Lord had burst forth against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-uzzah, to this day. [9] And David was afraid of the Lord that day, and he said, "How can the ark of the Lord come to me?" [10] So David was not willing to take the ark of the Lord into the city of David. But David took it aside to the house of Obed-edom the Gittite. [11] And the ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-edom the Gittite three months, and the Lord blessed Obed-edom and all his household.

Luke 1:39-56 (ESV)
In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, [40] and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. [41] And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, [42] and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! [43] And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [44] For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. [45] And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord."
[46] And Mary said,
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
[47] and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
[48] for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
[49] for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
[50] And his mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation.
[51] He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
[52] he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
[53] he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent empty away.
[54] He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
[55] as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever."
[56] And Mary remained with her about three months and returned to her home.

Recognizing the parallels in these two stories, it becomes much easier to understand the following:

Rev. 11:19-12:6 (ESV)
Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail.
[12:1] And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. [2] She was pregnant and was crying out in birth pains and the agony of giving birth. [3] And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. [4] His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it. [5] She gave birth to a male child, one who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron, but her child was caught up to God and to his throne, [6] and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she is to be nourished for 1,260 days.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.