Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if I am using the term correctly, but characters, and people places and things "likened" or considered related to Christ and what and who Christ is (God), in people of the Bible, their stories, and places and things, especially in parables...?

We hear how Melchizedek, Joseph, Issac and many, many others, even female Characters, like Esther, are kinda "like Christ" or how each one tells a story or aspect of Christ's story, or the "mind of Christ (God)...

We would have to know them all and excatly how they were all related in relation to Christ to really "know him" or have the mind of Christ...

So, what are some...?, And can we figure this out...? Remember, it's not just people, but also places/regions, and things, like a plant or tree, (animals also) as told in parables...

Care to start on this enourmous expedition...?

Got any starters...?

God Bless!

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if this changes the intent of the thread, but a Christophany is a pre-incarnate (or even a post-incarnate) manifestation of Christ. I think what you're talking about in the OP are "types" of Christ, and you're right - there certainly are a lot of them!

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Y
I don't know if this changes the intent of the thread, but a Christophany is a pre-incarnate (or even a post-incarnate) manifestation of Christ. I think what you're talking about in the OP are "types" of Christ, and you're right - there certainly are a lot of them!
Yes, in my understanding, a christophany or theophany is an appearance of God/Christ in human form.
eg.
God walking and talking with Adam in the garden of Eden.
The Captain of the Host of the Lord appearing to Joshua just before the battle of Jericho.
The three angels appearing to Abraham just before the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. One of those angels is addressed as Lord and Judge of all the earth. ie. Christ.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Care to start on this enourmous expedition...?

Got any starters...?
As someone said, there are a lot of types of Christ in the OT.
I will name just a few of the ones I have noticed.
The Tree of Life
The Ark of Noah
Isaac
Joseph
The High Priest's outfit in Exodus 28
The Tree that made the bitter waters sweet in Exodus 15
Joshua
Boaz, Grandfather of David
David
Elisha,
some of the miracles Elisha performed could be considered types as well.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As someone said, there are a lot of types of Christ in the OT.
I will name just a few of the ones I have noticed.
The Tree of Life
The Ark of Noah
Isaac
Joseph
The High Priest's outfit in Exodus 28
The Tree that made the bitter waters sweet in Exodus 15
Joshua
Boaz, Grandfather of David
David
Elisha,
some of the miracles Elisha performed could be considered types as well.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
These are all wonderful studies. Truly we can speak of "Christ in all the Scriptures".

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
These are all wonderful studies. Truly we can speak of "Christ in all the Scriptures".
Beyond the scriptures, in every form of life, possibly even non-life there is in existence, or that ever has existed, or will exist in the future... God/Christ is all and every story... There are aspects of him that can be seen in all of everything... That is how great God is, and what one would have to be to be "God"...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Beyond the scriptures, in every form of life, possibly even non-life there is in existence, or that ever has existed, or will exist in the future... God/Christ is all and every story... There are aspects of him that can be seen in all of everything... That is how great God is, and what one would have to be to be "God"...

God Bless!
This is why we humans can see God in almost anything, or aspects of God (and us) in almost anything, like the life of an ant, or just in things we see or are exposed to from day to day... The story of God is very, very great and endless...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

V37

Feb 9, 2018
West Yorkshire
✟19,534.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, theophany/huiophany (a.k.a. Christophany) is about either God or God the son (huios) appearing in human form. The former is in such places as Eden & Daniel 7. The OT speaks of an angel of Yahweh who so identified as Yahweh that some have suggested a theophany or huiophany: I’m not sure that we should be sure on such.

The main (or only) huiophany was God’s son becoming one of us with us—incarnation. And because he did so, we can know what’s called Christification (and theosis in the East), being transformed into Christ’s likeness, who alone is in God’s true likeness (Adam’s likeness was as an Alpha Level to Christ’s Omega Level of God’s Image/Likeness).

You are right about types of Christ including (thus exceeding) humans. Eg Jhn.2:21 spoke about the holy temple as having been a type (a hitherto useful and also prophetic shadow) of the true (alēthinos) temple, God’s son himself tabernacled (templed: NIV’s ‘dwelling’) among us by incarnation: Jhn.1:14.

Upvote 0