Aug 24, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So that time of the year is upon us again, the time for families to get together and catch up on the previous years activities.

My question is, how does Jehovah feel about this annual celebration, and should we really care what he thinks anyway?

Your thoughts.....

Richard.

The traditional celebration has made his house a 'house of merchandise'. Greedy merchants hang out their wares at this time of the year, taking advantage of those who mistakenly believe that it is a christian duty to celebrate this holiday. Golden calves in the shape of tinsel laden evergreen trees are a 'must' in every household lest one be labeled as 'Scrooge'.

Too many people only see Jesus once a year, and then as a tiny, helpless babe, instead of the mighty conquering Saviour that he really is.

For the most part, I don't think God is pleased with the traditonal celebration of Christmas.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question is, how does Jehovah feel about this annual celebration, and should we really care what he thinks anyway?
Indifferent as always. If anything, He would want us to celebrate the birth of Jesus everyday.

Of course we should care.

Upvote 0

Ratiocination

Apr 28, 2004
London
✟4,702.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
Indifferent as always. If anything, He would want us to celebrate the birth of Jesus everyday.

Of course we should care.
Agreed, the birth of our savior is something to be celebrated, and everyday we should celebrate this gift from God. My question though was a little more specific.

How would you go about celebrating this gift?

Richard..

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2011
Talequah, OK
✟7,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
So that time of the year is upon us again, the time for families to get together and catch up on the previous years activities.

Your thoughts.....

Richard.

:) Pretty much every pagan god/man god was born on December 25th. Not a big secret. I think God wants man to celebrate Christmas every day. Help the poor, treat others with grace, give generously, all that. Not sure why we limit it to once a year....:)

Upvote 0

Ratiocination

Apr 28, 2004
London
✟4,702.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
:) Pretty much every pagan god/man god was born on December 25th. Not a big secret. I think God wants man to celebrate Christmas every day. Help the poor, treat others with grace, give generously, all that. Not sure why we limit it to once a year....:)
True the guise of Christmas should be celebrated every day.

How do you feel about observing a day as a religious celebration [like Christmas] when there is no scriptural support for it... Does this make it a false religious practice which appears is condemned in the bible?

For example...
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Exodus 32 5 When Aaron got to see this, he went to building an altar before it. Finally Aaron called out and said: “There is a festival to Jehovah tomorrow.” 6 So on the next day they were early in rising, and they began offering up burnt offerings and presenting communion sacrifices. After that the people sat down to eat and drink. Then they got up to have a good time.[/FONT]
…[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]10 So now let me be, that my anger may blaze against them and I may exterminate them, and let me make you into a great nation.”[/FONT]

It appears that the Israelites had been tainted with the Egyptian idolatrous practice of calf worship, they gave it a disguise by calling it 'a day to Jehovah', yet, Jehovah made clear his feelings on the matter saying it was something he had not commanded them to do.
Is Christmas the exact same thing?

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Matthew 7:20-27) Really, then, by their fruits YOU will recognize those [men]. 21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness. 24 “Therefore everyone that hears these sayings of mine and does them will be likened to a discreet man, who built his house upon the rock-mass. 25 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and lashed against that house, but it did not cave in, for it had been founded upon the rock-mass. 26 Furthermore, everyone hearing these sayings of mine and not doing them will be likened to a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand. 27 And the rain poured down and the floods came and the winds blew and struck against that house and it caved in, and its collapse was great.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Notice how this portion of text is referring to those that have a measure of faith in Jesus as their Lord, Why? Because otherwise they would not call him Lord. Here its talking about professed Christians seemingly doing the will of the Lord but missing the mark of his high standards. This goes beyond our excepted failings as imperfect men, and requires our complete attention to not get involved in celebrations or festivals that he has not commanded us to observe, even if they have a resemblance of Christianity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Matthew 23:27) “Woe to YOU, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because YOU resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men’s bones and of every sort of uncleanness.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Christmas may also appear beautiful, but inside it's full of pagan practices and symbolisms, something detestable to Jehovah![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Matthew 7:13-14) “Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](Luke 13:24) “Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door, because many, I tell YOU, will seek to get in but will not be able,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](1 Peter 4:18) “And if the righteous [man] is being saved with difficulty, where will the ungodly [man] and the sinner make a showing?”[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DanielGillan

Feb 1, 2006
✟15,156.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I celebrate in unending ways, recognising Gods creation, singing, dancing, working, eating, learning, drinking, basically I try to praise God in all my actions.
Gentiles are not under the same laws as the Jews, and God is very strict with the Jewish race, because, they have been chosen. Chosen to glorify God.
Christmas probably entertains God greatly.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Gentiles are not under the same laws as the Jews, and God is very strict with the Jewish race, because, they have been chosen.

Not so - well, at least for believing Gentiles:

"One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you." Ex 12:49

"Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own county: for I am the LORD your God." Lev 24:22

"Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people" Isa 56:6,7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The traditional celebration has made his house a 'house of merchandise'. Greedy merchants hang out their wares at this time of the year, taking advantage of those who mistakenly believe that it is a christian duty to celebrate this holiday. Golden calves in the shape of tinsel laden evergreen trees are a 'must' in every household lest one be labeled as 'Scrooge'.

Too many people only see Jesus once a year, and then as a tiny, helpless babe, instead of the mighty conquering Saviour that he really is.

For the most part, I don't think God is pleased with the traditonal celebration of Christmas.

I think you are confusing "traditional" with "modern"...

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts.....

Richard.

I understand that JW's don't celebrate Christmas (true meaning or otherwise), birthdays, etc. because they aren't in the Bible.

So why don't you celebrate the Feasts:

Passover
Unleavened Bread
Firstfruits
the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost)
the Feast of Trumpets
the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur)
the Feast of Booths (Tabernacles or Ingathering)

Upvote 0

Conor B

Jun 8, 2008
Tucson Arizona
✟7,753.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For myself though I am grateful beyond words that Yeshua was born I don't know specifically WHEN He was born so I personally don't observe any particular birthday for Him. Instead I try to be grateful for His incarnation EVERY day of the year.

I also like to observe the feast days and additionally Hanukkah and Purim, with those my year is just about complete!

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
For myself though I am grateful beyond words that Yeshua was born I don't know specifically WHEN He was born so I personally don't observe any particular birthday for Him. Instead I try to be grateful for His incarnation EVERY day of the year.

I also like to observe the feast days and additionally Hanukkah and Purim, with those my year is just about complete!

Amein!

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
did Jesus say to pound square pegs into round holes?

he said, come, follow me, do the right thing, that God might bless you, which will draw others to Him....

don't cop out and gripe at those who are different you are too lazy to show them the light... they do not have eyes that see or ears that hear, or a heart that can understand... as far as they know, they are doing what they believe is right in their eyes....wanna make a difference...

show them peace, prosperity, and love...
give God some room to work in them via you.. James chapter 2

Upvote 0