Results are only viewable after voting.

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a child, my family always had a real tree. I'm the next to youngest and, as we all got older and started leaving home, my father toyed with the idea of getting a fake tree. I made him a deal: for as long as I lived in that house we would have a real tree...but vacuuming the needles and keeping it watered would be MY responsibility. Oddly enough, although my dad was never the "let's make a deal" type, he went for this, so my parents never got a fake tree until after I moved out.

However, my first apartment after I got married was not conducive to having a tree, and when we finally moved into a place that was, my FIL gave us a fake tree...so we used it.

Now we're back at a point where we don't have room for a tree.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always wanted a real tree, but I'm too worried it'll bug my allergies and then I'll have wasted a lot of time and money for nothing. So I stick with artificial (I don't like calling them 'fake'!).

Can I pose a follow-up question? Do you guys prefer the newer trees that are pre-lit and even pre-decorated? I don't! Decorating the tree is 99% of the fun! Putting up our Christmas tree is an all-afternoon affair. We put on Christmas music, make hot chocolate, dance and sing around the room, make a big mess with all the ornaments and lights; I wouldn't trade that for anything!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
growing up we always had a real tree but now that I live on my own I get a fake one. Too much work for one person. I do miss having a real tree though. I love the smell. I just get a candle now that resembles the pine smell and burn it during Christmas, almost as good as the real thing.

Upvote 0

Dzhessika

Lovin' God's beautiful handiwork!
Jul 12, 2004
Vancouver,Washington
✟16,213.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yay Thanks for all the replies!

We get a real tree as well , my dad and I usually go out into the woods and search and search until we spot just the right one , I love it ! Last year I was so excited I finally found the one to come home to my mom saying , "that's a charlie brown tree" :( she finally loved it after it was decorated.This year we're going to a tree farm I think the woods in this area don't have many good trees to pick from.But I just love the smell of a fresh cut tree and going to get it !Yeah i'm allergic but its worth it for a few months!We do have small fake artifical ones for decorations or outside ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Can I pose a follow-up question? Do you guys prefer the newer trees that are pre-lit and even pre-decorated? I don't! Decorating the tree is 99% of the fun! Putting up our Christmas tree is an all-afternoon affair. We put on Christmas music, make hot chocolate, dance and sing around the room, make a big mess with all the ornaments and lights; I wouldn't trade that for anything!

I like the pre-lit ones. I don't think I'd want a pre-decorated one, though, because I'd want my own ornaments on it. I really like the Hallmark type ornaments, that are like little sculptures, rather than just shiny balls on the tree.

...I must admit that the new fiber optic artificial trees are beautiful.

I love the fiber optic ones. My last Christmas tree (that I had for several years, but died on me early this year) was a fiber optic artificial tree. I was so excited when a co-worker brought her's to work and asked me if I wanted it.

To answer the OP, I prefer artificial trees. They don't shed, I'm kind of paranoid about real trees and fires, and most of my adult life I've lived in apartments that didn't allow real trees. Plus, I like the ease of having a tree stored and not having to go out (in what may be wicked cold) to buy one and do all of the work to get it set up (and I don't mean decorating). Oh, I also like the money savings from not buying a new tree every year.

Maybe this is silly, but I feel a little sad when I see all of the dead trees by the road. They were all beautiful growing out of the ground and we pull them up just to decorate them for a short time, before kicking them to the curb.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We're students, it's also an all girl house. We have a fake, pink tree. Tackier than a bag full of camels in hats but who cares, it's pink and sparkly. If you're going to go fake might as well go the whole hog.

Having said that we have been offered a free real tree, one of the rejects apparently. Should've been thinned out with the rest of the imperfect individuals but somehow a few were missed so the very nice forester men have said we can have one. Don't know where it's going to go though ...

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
word

real trees FTW, all you fake tree people out there sniff glue

k
o
f

Sniff, sniff, hooray.

gainsniffsniff.jpg

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When we have a place where we can do a tree again, if we can't go real, I wouldn't mind getting one with the lights...but NOT pre-decorated.

I also don't like "perfect", theme trees, either all one color or all matching ornaments. My WH and I have been collecting ornaments over the years and it's quite an eclectic assortment. We DO have a quirk: no Santas and no "commercial" ornaments (Charlie Brown, Garfield, etc.). We have ones that look like toys and dolls and animals and instruments and bells and a whole bunch of others.

Since we can't do a tree right now, we have 3 Nativity scenes: one of white porcelain that my mother gave us, one of plastic-canvas-needlepoint - all stand-up figures - that I made, and one VeggieTales (the only "commercial" Christmas thing we have). When we set them up, we purposely leave the Baby Jesus out until Christmas morning.

Upvote 0