Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm feeling nostalgic (again), so what's your favorite Christmas special (TV/movie) and why?
Five for me:

A Christmas Carol (1951, Brian Desmond-Hurst) starring Alastair Sims - a wonderful story with a wonderful message and excellent acting
Scrooge (1970, Ronald Neame) starring Albert Finney - a wonderful story with wonderful music
It’s a Wonderful Life (1946, Frank Capra) starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed - a heartwarming story
Jingle All the Way (1996, Brian Levant) starring Arnold Schwarzeneggar - a great tale of familial love
Miracle on 34th Street (1947, George Searon) starring Edward Gwen and Maureen O’Hara - a wonderful story of faith and hope

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My favorite is the new Ducktales episode, "Last Christmas!" which aired earlier this month (You can see it for free in the Disney Now app or at watchcartoononline.com). Much like the entire theme of the series, it's all about the importance of family.

Here's the intro:

It was an original and very emotional story with so many nostalgic references from the comics, original 1980s series, Mickey's Christmas Carol, and Ducktales video games.

Some minor spoilers below:

We find out that Scrooge McDuck doesn't hate Christmas; it's an act (except for despising Santa). With some revisionist history while referencing Dickens' A Christmas Carol and the 1983 Mickey's Christmas Carol, we learn that the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future originally mistook Scrooge McDuck for Ebenezer Scrooge. Since then, Scrooge pretends to hate Christmas so he has an excuse to privately hang out with the three ghost friends, traveling in time and reliving favorite Christmas parties.

The reboot of Jiminy Cricket is voiced by Jack McBrayer who is awesome. Among many other roles, he was the voice of Wander in the other Disney show, Wander Over Yonder.

In this series, Huey, Dewey, and Louie spend much of the first season trying to find out what happened to their mother, Della Duck, who is presumed to be dead after disappearing 10 years prior. Towards of the end of the season there was a weekend-ruining, gut-wrenching reveal of her fate. Bambi's mom had nothing on this story. So in this episode, Dewey secretly tags along on the time traveling adventure to meet his mother. And we get to see her alive and well as a kid.

We also see her twin, Donald Duck as an aloof, long haired, flannel wearing grunge kid (which was totally me in the 90s).

The nephews now have their own distinct voices from 3 different voice actors, whereas in the past, Russi Taylor traditionally provided all of their voices. She reprises that distinct voice for young Donald, a much welcomed tribute.

We get to see Scrooge's butler, Duckworth alive and well, too, which is neat because we found out in the first season that he died. His ghost still haunts the mansion out of loyalty to Scrooge.

Originally, Donald's lost twin sister was named Dumbella but it changed to Della and we find out it's just because Dumbella was the name Donald teased her with sometimes.

We get to see Scrooge "pogo bounce" with his cane on a monster's head just like the game mechanic in the Ducktales video games on the NES.

We find out Launchpad is probably Jewish (he wears a menorah sweater).

And just when you think everything is wrapped up nicely and everything is resolved, there's another gut-crushing scene at the very end.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" -- the 1966 TV version containing only Dr. Seuss' text plus a couple of songs, not any of this new stuff. Second choice is "A Charlie Brown Christmas". As a kid, it amazed me that they were allowed to recite from the Gospel of Luke on TV; usually religion on TV is blandly generic so that it doesn't offend anyone.

For something much sillier, "The Year Without a Santa Claus" is a really dumb story, but I love the Heat Miser and Snow Miser songs. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,154,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Charlie Brown Christmas special.

South Park, Simpsons, Futurama, Beavis And Butthead Christmas themed episodes.

I remember being really intrigued and disturbed by the Frosty The Snowman cartoon (think he shouted "happy birthday" when he came to life"..) where he needed to travel somewhere colder or he'd melt to death.. lol..

Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0