Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else listen to "Christmas music" during Advent? The presenter at last night's meeting basically made it sound as if it is completely wrong to listen to any Christmas music during Advent. I'm not talking about at Mass, but listening to it on the radio and such.

I feel like some sort of unwashed heathen now for enjoying "Here Comes Santa Claus" and "White Christmas", but I have no plans of stopping....

Lynn

Veteran
Feb 14, 2002
Ogden, UT
Visit site
✟10,696.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
our group goes caroling every year on the sunday before Christmas, we've done it for years and years. Well a few years ago, one of the sisters at church said that we shouldn't carol until after Christmas so we decided to do that. NEVER AGAIN! we had doors slammed in our faces, people turned lights out on us etc.

We'll just keep enjoying carols during advent, thank you

blessings and jingle bells to you all, lynn

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone else listen to "Christmas music" during Advent? The presenter at last night's meeting basically made it sound as if it is completely wrong to listen to any Christmas music during Advent. I'm not talking about at Mass, but listening to it on the radio and such.

I feel like some sort of unwashed heathen now for enjoying "Here Comes Santa Claus" and "White Christmas", but I have no plans of stopping....
WHY ON EARTH did he say it would be wrong???

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
WHY ON EARTH did he say it would be wrong???
Because of the penitential nature of Advent and how Christmas carols are for after the birth of Jesus - not before. Of course, she didn't get into the secular nature of much of the Christmas music on the radio, but she alluded to it.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
These discussions tend to usually have an axis that missed what I see as the real point, to some degree. It's not necessarily about one side that wants real strict rules, and the other side that doesn't give a flip (Though there are probably some folks that feel as they do for those reasons, granted). What, to me, this issue is fundamentally about, is doing things in the best time and the best place.

So, to me, what one has to think about, in my view, is what is the ideal way to do things in terms of timing, that is: What creates most the best experience on a spiritual level and also on a more secular level? Honestly, I look at it, and I think it's more enjoyable to do it in the traditional Catholic way, and creates a more magical spiritual overtone to the holidays.

Here's some of my reasoning:

1. Advent offers a time of anticipation that is missing from the current way Christmas is celebrated. Right now, Christmas is foisted on people before Thanksgiving, sometimes even in October, before you even start to really look forward to it. With Advent, excitement builds and Christmas is welcome and something to be excited about when it finally arrives.

2. Having Christmas Day followed by 11 more days of Christmas is I think very in tune with the human condition -- we built to the holiday and have a day of big celebration when it is finally here, then we keep on celebrating to a lesser degree (Because we've had the big one) for a reasonable period of time in the days that follow, eat the leftovers, enjoy the decorations and some songs but still get back somewhat to our usual routine, etc.. Right now, secularly, we do the reverse, get sickened by an early onslaught we didn't have time to look forward to so that by the "big day" December 25th, we don't really care much and want to get it over with, and then tear everything down as quickly as possible thereafter -- Radio stations start playing Christmas music in early or mid-November or earlier and then stop on a dime sometimes as early as the evening of December 25th! The way that society does Christmas now just gets people sick of it before the time they are supposed to be most excited, and lasts too long to sustain for most people, and then it is over completely in a puff of smoke and people drag their trees to the curb. Building anticipation and then having 12 days with the biggest first gets people excited at the proper time and tones down on "holiday fatigue" and doesn't end things in a sudden jolt that's a shock to the system.

Just my 2 cents. And since the American dollar is weak right now in the global economic market, that's probably only a penny where many forum members reside. ;)

Upvote 0

princess_ballet

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Because of the penitential nature of Advent and how Christmas carols are for after the birth of Jesus - not before. Of course, she didn't get into the secular nature of much of the Christmas music on the radio, but she alluded to it.
Can I just point out that...Jesus is already born?

In fact, he died on the cross and rose again.

So, its not like you're singing it before his birth...because we're 2000+ years after his birth.

Uh, yeah.

Talk about a fundamentalist. Are you sure she isn't Protestant?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MissBabylon

hetaere
Nov 22, 2007
Rome
✟8,438.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I looooove Advent music, and I listen to a lot of it (Telemann has composed amazing Advent music). But I also listen to Christmas music already - mostly classical stuff, mostly baroque - I listened to Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium yesterday. But I'm someone who listens to Easter music pretty much the whole year, so I don't play according to the rules anyway.

Music is music, and you can listen to Christmas songs in July if you feel like it!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.