Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
So it's that season again, Christmas. As an MJ, I dont condone all the pagan festivities. I was sent a viral Christmas Flash mob video (very easy to find on youtube) and I told my husband about it and he said 'yeah I saw that, it's dumb' and I asked him why and he said cuz it had to do with Christmas. I know Messiah wasnt born on Dec 25th, but all the songs shown in the video had to do with Jesus and I really give them credit for not being afraid to try to glorify God in a mall rather than the usual ho-ho-ho santa songs.

This brings me to where I've been the last weeks. We dont go to a church anywhere and we have 0 fellowship unless it's hanging out every so often with people, but we dont have spiritual fellowship and haven't for a looong time. I asked my husband when we will and he said maybe there will be an MJ congregation when we move (which that is totally up in the air anyways, we dont know anything in regards to where/when). It just seems he writes off anything that disagrees with our view and I feel really like we're becoming solitary isolationists and it honestly scares me. I find I dont even know what I believe anymore because I feel so cut off from people. I like my Christian family and would like to have more Christian friends. We are all somewhere different in our walk with God. But to be honest, I felt closer to God in my younger years than I do now. I just feel confused and frustrated and like I said - cut off.

I married my husband knowing we wouldnt be THE most popular people in the world, especially when asked about our beliefs (embracing Torah). But I never meant to be cut off from other believers in Messiah Y'shua. My growth feels stunted right now because of the lack of fellowship. I want to join a ladies bible study somewhere locally because I'm so desperate for fellowship and I know I'm going to feel even more confused and lonely when my husband deploys.

Back to Christmas, I dont wish to celebrate Christmas but it just seems that my husband and I are separating ourselves from people too much. There's nobody really close to me who I trust that I can talk to about these things. My husband goes on an annual FB antiCHristmas rant and I went along with it the first few years. Now I dont even want to speak divisive talk anymore because I'm tired of feeling and making myself isolated from people, I want to connect to people - people who love God from all walks of life and understanding of HIs Word. No one is perfect, no one has it all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: ContraMundum

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This sums up my views on the matter: "Don't look down on those who have a different understanding of the Scriptures than you. Just because you know God has given you understanding on a particular matter; they may revelation and understanding on something else that you don't yet know. Pride not only blinds us to our own faults but also stunts our growth."

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I know the first time he deployed, I did join a womens bible study and yes he knew about it. He wasnt against it. I wanted to be part of fellowship together when he got back and we did do that for a while and it was great. But that group fell apart for reasons that were no one's fault. We joined another group and church hopped for a while again and ended up just giving up. And I'm not okay with that. To me, imperfect doctrine but people who truly love the LORD is better than no fellowship at all. But I wanted it to be with my husband, not just alone. But obviously I'll have to do things on my own when he's gone again, but I wanted to be established somewhere before he left. That hasnt happened and likely wont now that he'll be gone in a few short months.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Praying for fellowhsip to not only reveal itself - but for there to be real relationship/growth, as I've been with others where you're at - and it's often unecessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

issa

pray for the peace of Jerusalem
Sep 21, 2004
Ortigas
✟20,936.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
the bible doesnt really want us to call anyone a fool. got convicted of that.

fellowship is impt but being alone w God also has its merits. it is a spiritual discipline that can help us grow stronger - when we have no one else to rely on but Him. missionaries in far flung places can grow immeasurably in their faith. it all depends on how you view your situation.

but im very much for Messianics sharing about what we believe little by little to the Body. why keep it from them? they are still family. we gotta fight the divisions in the Body of Christ because those are from the enemy. fight it with love!

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Back to the christmas thing, is it okay to even like Christmas music? I mean the ones that have songs like Oh HOly Night and O Come o Come Emmanuel and Mary Did You Know etc? My husband doesnt want ANYTHING to do with CHristmas one iota. Even at the mention of the fact I like outdoor lights on in winter and summer (I think its pretty) he says even summer lights on the deck remind him of Christmas so he doesnt like it.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
We were hoping to have a small group in our home, but that hasnt happened. It's a vicious cycle because how else are we going to meet people unless we go to church? We were a part of a small group that we liked, the leaders were a lot like us (not messianic, but very much like us in other ways/beliefs) but they moved away to follow the call of God on their lives and the group fell apart. We tried another group of young adults, and it was merely an extention of Sunday service. Nothing more and no real discussion even. It was always just 'yeah thats good [lets move on]' kinda thing, so we quit. We've invited people in our home for different feasts and such, but we have no close fellowhsip with anyone. DH has a friend from up North, but thats just phone calls. I dont have anyone whom I feel spiritually close to or trust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hypshark

Sep 4, 2012
Indiana
✟15,630.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Back to the christmas thing, is it okay to even like Christmas music? I mean the ones that have songs like Oh HOly Night and O Come o Come Emmanuel and Mary Did You Know etc? My husband doesnt want ANYTHING to do with CHristmas one iota. Even at the mention of the fact I like outdoor lights on in winter and summer (I think its pretty) he says even summer lights on the deck remind him of Christmas so he doesnt like it.

If you listen or sing to glorify Hashem for sending Messiah, I don't believe it to be a problem. I actually just wrote a "nativity story" song myself...(working on copyright at the moment)...but shouldn't we listen to that all year?

follow-up question (off on a tangent), has the majority of the Christian church compartmentalized the thanking of G-d for Messiah to only occur during a one-month period?

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Thats another thing, I'll be ALL alone in my little world as an MJ because DH is deploying soon. I'm afraid I'll just fall apart and turn into ca sera sera.

I guess like Passover is the time we MJs look at Y'shua as the pesach lamb, mainstream Christians look at Christmas as the time to celebrate His birth corporately, which I guess is better than never at all.

Upvote 0