Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I own two homes in which I let family live in the other. My old neighbors Mike and Angie are Lutheran but I have never seen them go to church. We had a Lutheran sister drive by Mike and Angie's and then stopped by to give my dad some kind of present and an invitation to church, which will start regular services again in May. I commented that I did not know Mike and Angie were Lutheran. My dad commented that they were "Christmas-Easter Lutheran" in which you may see them in church a few times in a year.

Christmas-Easter Lutherans.... Normally professional type good people who you don't see in church a whole lot.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know these people as good people and I have been to that church and like the sanctuary and the way they do communion (which is a lot more than those tiny wafer/grape juice packs). It is surprising that they do not attend church more often. A whole lot of Americans I believe are that way.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it kind of spans across religions and denominations. There are probably still places in the USA, smaller towns and such, that most of the population attends Sunday services every week. However, overall most Americans that do attend a church tend to attend on those two holy days, they are the biggest days after all. The same is seen in Judaism with people coming for the High Holy Days only and not on a normal Sabbath. It is also seen in Islam during Ramadan.

When I was a practicing Catholic the church would be rather well attended every Sunday, but on these holy days the church would be bursting at the seams, requiring outside speakers and additional space in the fellowship building to be used.

It is a similar story at my current Lutheran parish. These two holy days have the most attendance by far. It would be wonderful to get people coming more often, but at least they are still enough of "believers" to attend these two days. It is also a great influx of needed cash for the church at these dates, especially in times like these.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know these people as good people and I have been to that church and like the sanctuary and the way they do communion (which is a lot more than those tiny wafer/grape juice packs). It is surprising that they do not attend church more often. A whole lot of Americans I believe are that way.
My husband only goes to church with me on Christmas, and now Easter. I just can’t get him to go. He grew up as a fire and brimstone Baptist with a pastor that would scream and yell and his face would turn beat red. They had to go to church 3 times a week. Even though my LCMS now, and before that my Catholic Church, was nothing like this, he’s over it. At least for now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My hubby’s dad now goes to a different type of Christian church, no more of that screaming and stuff. His brother stayed away from church for many years but now goes to a ND one. I was away from church years too and have returned. I thought that when he saw his brother and I go, he’d go too,but so far, nope.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My hubby’s dad now goes to a different type of Christian church, no more of that screaming and stuff. His brother stayed away from church for many years but now goes to a ND one. I was away from church years too and have returned. I thought that when he saw his brother and I go, he’d go too,but so far, nope.
Well, it's never too late if someone is still breathing. And...also, we can read the very encouraging things Paul said in 1rst Corinthians chapter 7 too, about how one spouse might help bring about the salvation of the other!

Upvote 0

KagomeShuko

Wretched Sinner/Belovèd Child of God/Church Nerd
Sep 6, 2004
Lake Charles, LA
Visit site
✟22,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This happens in ALL Christian denominations. These people are often called C-E Christians or C&E Christians.

It's not supposed to be a title or honor, though. Of course, we still love them and are glad they come.

Haven't you ever realized that congregations are much fuller on those two holidays?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This happens in ALL Christian denominations. These people are often called C-E Christians or C&E Christians.

It's not supposed to be a title or honor, though. Of course, we still love them and are glad they come.

Haven't you ever realized that congregations are much fuller on those two holidays?
Yes, I have. They’re also called Creaster Christians.

Upvote 0