The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
As sorry as the visible church is today, a majority do not even believe a large part of the Bible. They accept science over the Bible in areas of creation and many have concocted their own salvation plan, accepting gay preachers/priest among other problems.
And you expect this church to decide on celebrations, that would be about right and really fits well with the contemporary church.

I am sure it was the 12 Apostles/Disciples who were given charge. They were the ones who were able to heal, etc...

Disciples outside of he 12 did not have that ability

Believing the Earth to be spherical, which is not incompatible with Scriptural doctrine, or other scientific principles which Christianity is the only religion not to contradict, is not akin to condoning homosexual clergy or gay marriage. The former is intelligent exegesis, whereas the latter is blasphemy against the Holy Sacraments.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Believing the Earth to be spherical, which is not incompatible with Scriptural doctrine, or other scientific principles which Christianity is the only religion not to contradict, is not akin to condoning homosexual clergy or gay marriage. The former is intelligent exegesis, whereas the latter is blasphemy against the Holy Sacraments.

Just take a look at the spies That were sent to the promise land. They did not believe God's word/promise and not only did they not believe it they also gave a false report about the land, so see how they ended up.

So taking the Bible and not believing God's given word about His creation and not only not believing it. But not believing it because of science. When in many areas of the Bible it is plainly stated in direct contrast to what science states. So many who are christian (or at least identify as such) are taking science over the word of God concerning God's creation.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Just take a look at the spies That were sent to the promise land. They did not believe God's word/promise and not only did they not believe it they also gave a false report about the land, so see how they ended up.

So taking the Bible and not believing God's given word about His creation and not only not believing it. But not believing it because of science. When in many areas of the Bible it is plainly stated in direct contrast to what science states. So many who are christian (or at least identify as such) are taking science over the word of God concerning God's creation.

I recently compiled a blog post using the Christian Forums blogging system addressing this issue, to spare having to type repeatedly the same answers. I hope you read it: The Startling Accuracy Of Genesis

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Also, Scripture does not contradict the idea of a spherical Earth, and throughout history, all Christian historical figures we are aware of prior to the 19th century believed the world was round.

If you discover your interpretation of the Bible is contradicted by observations, that means your interpretation is in error, not the Bible and not Science.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well we have very different views about this, i really see no place to meet in the middle.
You mean you disagree with Sacred Scripture?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Please tell how [doing any] below Glorifies Christ?

Whether therefore ye eat [being glutton]
glutton | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

or drink [a drunkard]
drunkard | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

" I got drunk good, Lord here's to your glory?

or whatsoever ye do [like abominations]
abomination | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

"I am a thief, to your glory?
a thief | YouVersion Search | The Bible App

Those verses does not say you can do anything, and God
would be proud of you, just give him credit or glory.
-

For I have given you an example,
that ye should do as I have done to you.
John 13:15 (KJV), Luke 4:16, Acts 17:2
Nobody is saying you have to celebrate by eating too much or drinking too much. We can still celebrate with a meal and a glass of wine, right?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Refuting something does not make it the truth.
But it is true that Jesus was born, died and rose from the dead. Shouldn't we celebrate his birth and his sacrifice for us?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As sorry as the visible church is today, a majority do not even believe a large part of the Bible. They accept science over the Bible in areas of creation and many have concocted their own salvation plan, accepting gay preachers/priest among other problems.
And you expect this church to decide on celebrations, that would be about right and really fits well with the contemporary church.

I am sure it was the 12 Apostles/Disciples who were given charge. They were the ones who were able to heal, etc...

Disciples outside of he 12 did not have that ability
That humanity is in a sorry state has been true since Adam and Eve. And when you say a majority don't believe the Bible, I have to agree, but that doesn't mean the faith is not true. John 6, Matthew 16:18-20, and the 7 books removed, come to mind, regarding the majority not believing the Bible...And in a Church with a celibate priesthood, any form of sexual expression is an abomination. And you're agreeing with me about Christ giving his apostles their authority, which includes their charge to appoint successors, which is what Catholicism is built on.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Also, Scripture does not contradict the idea of a spherical Earth, and throughout history, all Christian historical figures we are aware of prior to the 19th century believed the world was round.

If you discover your interpretation of the Bible is contradicted by observations, that means your interpretation is in error, not the Bible and not Science.
Exactly. @The Liturgist, are you familiar with a documentary called "Is Genesis History?" The visit sites around the world and show how the interpretation of the sedimentary composition can be interpreted correctly or incorrectly. Very fascinating.

• Informative
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I recently compiled a blog post using the Christian Forums blogging system addressing this issue, to spare having to type repeatedly the same answers. I hope you read it: The Startling Accuracy Of Genesis

You are too far into science to see what God is saying through the Bibles. There really is no point to discuss this any further. I am not going to try to change your view and you certainly will not change mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But it is true that Jesus was born, died and rose from the dead.
Shouldn't we celebrate his birth and his sacrifice for us?

The bible tells us to keep " The Lords Passover,
and the Days of unleavened bread. The bible also
warns about keeping traditions of men, which Easter
and Christmas are. Should we not follow Christ?

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody is saying you have to celebrate by eating too much or drinking too much. We can still celebrate with a meal and a glass of wine, right?

The poster I replied to said
"anything done unto the Lord glorifies him."

The verses he posted did not say this, as I pointed out.
You can not do anything you want, and expect God to be happy.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I celebrate Pascha and Christogena. You dont celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord and God?

“if Christ is risen, nothing else matters. And if Christ is not risen—nothing else matters.” - Dr. Jaroslav Pelikan

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟404,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I celebrate Pascha and Christogena. You dont celebrate
the Resurrection of our Lord and God?

The Lords Passover is on the 14th of the first month,
on Gods calendar. Christ told us to remember his death,
and to keep the feast of unleavened bread in the N.T..

Jesus did, and the Apostles keep Gods Holydays after his death.

It is mans tradition to celebrate his birth and resurrection,
on a man made calendar of heathen origins, while also
forgetting what the bible tells us to do on this subject.

The Hebrew word pasach referred to the Passover, now changed
to something in other languages then what the bible says.
I have no idea what Christogena entails, or is for.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
You are too far into science to see what God is saying through the Bibles. There really is no point to discuss this any further. I am not going to try to change your view and you certainly will not change mine.

Well the thing is I have had the pleasure of high altitude flight in my younger days on a certain famous aircraft noted for its unusually high service ceiling, and have seen the curvature of the Earth, and I did also once go on an adventure cruise to Antarctica, and I have a collection of old airline timetables from a few decades back when services from South Africa to Argentina and Argentina and Chile were still available, and from South Africa and East Africa to Perth. So its not so much science as a case of the obvious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Faith and science are not opposed. Without one, the other makes no sense.

• Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,020.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We follow those who Christ vested with the authority to bind and loose.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,020.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You are absolutely right that you will not change our minds. You are unable to produce any model of a flat earth that corresponds to what we can actually observe, such as the flight times between the southern continents. What you insist we must believe in is a physical impossibility.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Celebrating the birth and death of our Lord are not traditions of men. The dates, possibly. But even those are not totally traditional.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The poster I replied to said
"anything done unto the Lord glorifies him."

The verses he posted did not say this, as I pointed out.
You can not do anything you want, and expect God to be happy.
I don't believe you are doing anything unto the Lord if you're getting drunk or stuffing food in your face, personally.
I agree with you, you can't do anything you want and say it's in the name of God, and expect God to be happy. But what I'm saying is that honoring our Lord's entrance into humanity and his sacrifice are good things, when done properly.
I have been to public gatherings, such as luaus, where the emcee will announce that there's a wedding party, and when you glance over, the bride, groom, and the party are all drunk. Celebrating a wedding should be a happy occasion, not one for drunken revelry. There are proper and improper ways to honor.

• Agree
Upvote 0