Christians: what are your views on dancing?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry. It is a very old joke making fun of certain protestant denominations who thought that false purity was more important than truth.

So dancing is fine as long as no one enjoys it!

You'll get it but for those here that do not that is also a very old joke about religion usually Christianity.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dancing is wrong.
Where in Scripture does it say dancing is wrong?

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might" (2 Samuel 6:14)

"And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances." (Exodus 15:20)

Upvote 0

John100

Jul 14, 2019
Sofia
✟3,540.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where in Scripture does it say dancing is wrong?

"And David danced before the LORD with all his might" (2 Samuel 6:14)

"And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances." (Exodus 15:20)

I mean dancing between man and woman.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Do you think dancing is acceptable from a biblical perspective, and if so, what kind of dancing and within what limits?

Do you think modern forms of dance such as ballet and tap are acceptable or not?

Do you think that dancing with an opposite sex umarried partner (such as pas de deux in ballet) is wrong or not and why? Do you think that dancing with opposite sex partners should only be between husband or wife, or not?
I think it's obvious, meaning if it would cause an eyebrow to raise something is pushing a limit, if onlookers think nothing of it it's probably innocent dancing. Yeah I think it's pretty obvious when it's a dance, and when it becomes a sexy dance.

Ok is sexy dance ok? If you want to argue that doing a sexy dance in public is bad to do as a Christian that's one thing, but if you start arguing that just dancing period is bad I think you're really starting to place a straight jacket on yourself. I just wouldn't wanna dirty dance in public period, even if I was an atheist lol.

The question of dancing with someone else's partner, etc, will be very individualized based on the situation IMO. I could see not being bothered if a certain person danced with my partner that even involved touching (not slow/controlled touching, but something like square dance touching would be fine), yet being bothered if a different person even did one of those 5 feet away no touching dances with my partner. Like the level of trust I have for the person.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just to put your question into a perspective.

2 Sam. 6:14
And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

I know, that is not what your asking about but, he was dancing.

Something like Ballet is performing being considered to be part of the arts.

Whereas, poll dancing is just exhibitionism with a totally different purpose in mind.

As far as someone dancing with someone who is not their spouse, then you begin to get into the realm of Legalism.

Keep in mind.

1 Cor. 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient:

This means, does it profit you, does it lift you up Mentally, Emotionally, Spiritually.

all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

This means, does it profit you, does it build you up Mentally, Emotionally, Spiritually will you derive any benefit from doing it, is it enjoyable?

I know what I have said can be
misconstrued by some people to mean all sorts of things, but I have answered your question in the spirit with which you asked it.

(Edited out)

Don't worry about it, don't put that burden on yourself, you will not go to Hell if you dance.

Rom. 14:8
For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Rom. 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Be Blessed in Christ.

Thank you for your reply.

You said: "you will not go to Hell if you dance."

May I ask if mean if one has ALSO repented of their sins and received the Lord Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour? (By the way, since your profile states you are a Christian, I assume you also believe dancing should be done in a way that glorifies God by the Lord Jesus Christ, and in a biblical and appropriate manner.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is an old tale that the Free Church of Scotland, a very strict Presbyterian denomination, were strongly opposed to sexual intercourse on the grounds it might lead to dancing. :)

Did that particular church end up going extinct?

Upvote 0