Christians: what are your views on dancing?

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you can dance -- dancing is ok.
No dirty dancing.

An (occasional) cigar or (short drink) is also OK.

Might be a sin for me might not be for you.
I don't drink for that reason.
Wife has her one glass of daily wine.
I never drank like that (one glass).
M-Bob

Thank you for sharing your opinions.

Personally I do not want to smoke ever in my lifetime because it is bad for health.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As long as you're not dancing provocatively or dancing naked, you should be good.

This is okay, then?
giphy.gif

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I do not want to smoke ever in my lifetime because it is bad for health.

You have made a good decision.

Dancing won't hurt you.

It mentions David in The Bible dancing.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's wrong with dancing naked?
I think this may be a sarcastic question, but I do see something very problematic with someone of a female gender dancing naked with someone else, especially with someone of the opposite sex.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love to dance and have received no direction or conviction on the subject. But if you feel uncomfortable the first step is prayer followed by scripture. If the Holy Spirit is addressing the issue His directive will be clear.

But legalism is not the Lord’s domain. Most begin with good intentions taken to excess that lead to strife and burdens later.

The prohibitions I’ve received from the Lord have a specific purpose. If dancing is leading you to sin in your thoughts that’s one thing. But if it hinges on a specific dance I’d question its root.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do see something very problematic with someone of a female gender dancing naked with someone else, especially with someone of the opposite sex.

That definitely might lead one to sin.
Best to stay away from sticky places.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with dancing if it is done in a way that doesn’t provoke lust. Big differences between ballroom dancing, country dancing, ballet, enjoying yourself at a celebration - and a girl swinging her hips in a revealing dress with a micro skirt. Dancing is an art form, like painting or theatre, and artists can create masterpieces or inappropriate content.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Do you think dancing is acceptable from a biblical perspective, and if so, what kind of dancing and within what limits?

Do you think modern forms of dance such as ballet and tap are acceptable or not?

Do you think that dancing with an opposite sex umarried partner (such as pas de deux in ballet) is wrong or not and why? Do you think that dancing with opposite sex partners should only be between husband or wife, or not?

It's dancing. Of course it's fine.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the replies. Do you think things such as pas de deux in ballet or wrong or not, especially between unmarried partners?

What do you think about this Bible verse: 1 Corinthians 7:1: "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman"?

Here's some context and clarification:

"Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: 'It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.' But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."

Note that "it is good for a man not to have sexual relations" is in quotes, because it seems Paul is addressing a topic which some in Corinth had wrote to him about, so this statement comes from a piece of correspondence from Corinth to Paul, and which Paul is now addressing.

Paul encourages that sexual intimacy occur within the confines of a committed, loving, married relationship. That's all this text is saying.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A great tap number from Swing Time, by Fred and Ginger. How can anyone think this is immoral?

This is off-topic a bit. It's a solo dance scene from Singin' In The Rain. I'm posting it because it's such an amazing technical performance by Donald O'Connor. Even if you don't like dance, his athleticism is incredible.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think dancing is acceptable from a biblical perspective, and if so, what kind of dancing and within what limits?

Do you think modern forms of dance such as ballet and tap are acceptable or not?

Do you think that dancing with an opposite sex umarried partner (such as pas de deux in ballet) is wrong or not and why? Do you think that dancing with opposite sex partners should only be between husband or wife, or not?
Nothing wrong with dancing in and of itself. No Bible verses condemn dancing as a general practice.

Nothing inherently wrong with social dancing, partnered or not, either. Again, nothing in Scripture condemns that. There's a range of what can be done within that context. Think of a scale between 1 and 10. 1 is completely platonic, and 10 is reserved for strip clubs. Be more towards 1 in a social context. Whether 5 or 6 is the line of what's acceptable or not, it's hard to articulate - if people within the community for that particular style of dance will either ask questions or wink and nod, then it probably is going to be sinful.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that dancing is wrong. The same sentiment is held to by ultra-conservative Muslims, apparently.

Although belly dancing originated in middle eastern Muslim countries as entertainment for men. IIRC, in Turkey and Morroco, it can still be pretty suggestive. Though maybe not so much in Saudi.

Upvote 0