St. Petersburg
✟27,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi all. Seeking your thoughts and input.
A friend asked me about tithing the other day so I made a video about it.

Thoughts? Do you Tithe? Why? Why not?
Should Christians Pay Tithes? | What Is Tithe According To The Bible?

Attachments

• 74EF414A-D1C9-48B7-BE86-801A34EE7DA0.png
    74EF414A-D1C9-48B7-BE86-801A34EE7DA0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are unlimited blessings from Tithing. Even financial benefits.
I've seen a financial analysis of this. People spend about 30% of
their income "discretionary" or by choice. People who put God first
spend less money on restaurant food and beer, wine, etc. You when
Tithing you can end up with up to 20% more savings, after tithing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is not a lotto machine or a Keeno screen.
God is spirit and has no use for our money. Only church organizations have use for it and this is why they invoke the tithing scripture.

Tithing a tenth of thy crops may have been a tenet 4,000 years ago but Jesus had a different gig. His attitude is basically that money is a thing of this world and that we ought not be overly concerned with it. We should give to all who ask, lend without expecting repayment, and give to the government all they wish to steal from us.

I think that tithing is a way of forcing us to deal with the fact that we are giving our money away and getting nothing but a tax write off in return.
I think it is a minor way to try and devalue money in our minds. I believe it is supposed to condition us to sense the joy of giving. Of losing so someone else can gain.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I think God sees it differently than you do then. The Tithe means a Tenth of our income. Where you Tithe is up to you. There are a lot of great Christian organizations out there doing the Lords work.

7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return?

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There's no command for Christians to "tithe", tithing was part of the Torah given Israel as part of the national covenant God established with them.

Christians, however, are called to be generous givers--we should give and give freely; not of some minimum out of mechanical obligation, but rather out of love for our neighbor.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A 10% monetary tithe is nowhere mandated in Scripture. Church organizations often abuse this, even saying a person is "robbing God" if they do not give that obligatory 10%. That is forcing people to give, almost threatening them. Scripture says otherwise. Churches should not have a mandatory tithe.

7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. - 2 Corinthians 9:7

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

One good example of this is:

But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira, his wife, sold a possession, and kept back part of the price, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land? While you kept it, didn't it remain your own? After it was sold, wasn't it in your power? How is it that you have conceived this thing in your heart? You haven't lied to men, but to God."
Acts 5:1-4

People are free to keep their property, but it was common that disciples shared what they had. I believe, if you love others, you share things and help others. But that is different thing than collect vast treasures for the Church leaders.

And actually, it is interesting that in the early writings of Christians (The Didache), it is said:

If he asks for money, he is a false prophet… … But whoever says in the Spirit, Give me money, or something else, you shall not listen to him. But if he tells you to give for others' sake who are in need, let no one judge him.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html

I think that is great teaching. And I think it is good, if you help those who are in need, near you. But you don’t have to do so. You are free and I hope you do good things with your money. Unfortunately church leaders often seem to forget that and collect treasures for themselves.

Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consume, and where thieves don't break through and steal;

Matt. 6:19-20

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Did you ask the Father in heaven about this?

Did you find the answer from Him, in line with all His Word ?

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Since 1991 I have had difficulty fitting into any specific denomination all that well so a high percentage of my tithes I tithe to my wife...... who I do feel is a missionary...... sent from Ecuador to here in Canada.

My wife is one of the best exorcists that I know...... and I have a rather wild story behind that that I give the foundation to in my blog:

It is a seriously bad idea to get angry with God.... | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Did you ask the Father in heaven about this?

Did you find the answer from Him, in line with all His Word ?

I have watched several of madluvofficial's videos....... and in my opinion he is going through a wide open door...... with a level of humility and with a sense of humor that is going to attract many, many many young people to Messiah Yeshua - Jesus.

In my judgment.... madluvofficial is playing major, major, major league.......... when it comes to outreach and evangelism.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Wow.... awesome job!

I wasn't sure if audio would work where I am at.... but it did.... so I watched your video you really did do an awesome job! I do mean AWESOME JOB!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The tithe was a tax imposed on the Hebrews for the support of the Levites. There were also other taxes. Figure about 30% in all. Then above that was considered giveing.

True.... the second tithe was used to finance trips to Jerusalem for the Festival of Sukkot / Tabernacles and Passover in the Spring and Pentecost a little later. The third tithe seems to only have been paid in the third and sixth year of a seven year cycle. It was a form of welfare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Redd5

Jul 25, 2016
Massachusetts
✟17,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m blown away when Christians cite Malachi, Deut, Lev, Num as if it applies to Christians. Jesus himself calls tithing a less important matter of the law (which we obviously are not under) But that scripture is cited by pro tithing teachers as Jesus saying Christians should tithe... I’m just really interested in why and how pro tithers come to their conclusions. I don’t mean that to be antagonistic, I really don’t. I’m genuinely perplexed in how one can say “we are not under the law” and then cite the law and all of its consequences as why Christians should tithe.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you don't love God enough to do as He asks, then you are free to do so. Those things from the OT that are not required of us are clearly defined and easily discerned if you know and understand the Character of God.

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Ew. I’m not seeing where God asks Christians to tithe... but whatever floats your boat. Praise the Lord!
In the OT it was more or less commanded. Under law and such. But after Jesus church leaders just slide it forward as the way to finance organised congregations. We are under no obligation to do so. Paul does say the one treading out the grain does need to eat. I used to tithe precisely one tenth plus of my finances. I.am working my way back to that practice slowly as my circumstances totaly changed. Its a good thing. One thing Im trying to do also is tithe in tangables. For example our church building and parsonage both neede painting. So I purchased a power washer for the church and cleaned, prepped and painted the parsonages’ exterior. I feel we as a congregation should be able to subsist apart from “the world”. That includes some emergency supplies. My kids tease Im getting ready for “zombie apocalypse”. But look at Joseph in Egypt. Did Puerto Rico see it coming? Thats my titheing in tangebles theory. And I always like to give to our benevolent fund. We should always have resources on hand to help a sister or brother in need. That was brought out my first year being a Christian. I lost my wallet with 1 & 1/2 mos rent. The members of that church sat me down w/ thier check book the next sunday and asked my “how much did you lose?” That was 25yrs ago & in another state but as a freshly divorced single parent underemployed new believer I was blown away. I will never forget that. Thats how we are to do it as Christians today. Hope thats not too corny sounding but it really happened and corny is great. Just give freely.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you want to be
Bound by old testament legalistic giving, give God about 30 percent.
New Testament giving principles: God Loves an cheerful giver who is guided by the spirit according to the needs of the church

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0