Christians, rebuke TS Issac as it approaches Florida.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,054.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is: Jesus can rebuke storms because he is God, right?
Nothing there indicates that WE regular people can rebuke the weather, right?

John 14:12-14 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
John 14:12-14 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Then its clearly no one believes in him.
Who has repeated his miracles and done even greater?

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As a pagan, I must say this all sounds like an awfully pagan thing to do, controlling the weather. Whatever you say, "his will be done" many pagans will say the same thing in weather rituals to bring rain or whatever they are asking for or want.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Paganistic thinking is that many gods control the weather. Monotheistic thinking is that there is one true God who controls all things, and the weather is just one small thing. Regardless, I stand by it. The thread is titled "CHRISTIANS, rebuke TS Isaac...", and IMHO would have better fit in the Christians-only area anyway. My desire is that the Lord's will be done through TS/Hurricane Isaac, since there are millions affected/potentially affected, and there is no possible way I could ever fathom and sort through doing what's best for all 20 million of them. That is in God's league, though. If non-Christians don't agree, fine. This is not a sales pitch for God.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That may work if enough people believe, and are truly faithful. You would have to get people whose faith wouldn't be shaken by the incredible hauteur, and hackneyed displays of disdain and sarcasm many people express for Christian faith.

Given that the GOP has already postponed its convention because of the hurricane, I'd say faith is pretty low.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Paganistic thinking is that many gods control the weather. Monotheistic thinking is that there is one true God who controls all things, and the weather is just one small thing. Regardless, I stand by it. The thread is titled "CHRISTIANS, rebuke TS Isaac...", and IMHO would have better fit in the Christians-only area anyway. My desire is that the Lord's will be done through TS/Hurricane Isaac, since there are millions affected/potentially affected, and there is no possible way I could ever fathom and sort through doing what's best for all 20 million of them. That is in God's league, though. If non-Christians don't agree, fine. This is not a sales pitch for God.

It has nothing to do with Christian vs. non-Christian--God does not directly control the weather. He doesn't send rain here, a drought there, a tornado to Tornado Alley, or a hurricane to the Gulf.

Weather happens due to the laws of physics--heat, pressure, moisture. He set up those laws to work in a certain way. Sometimes, they'll produce crippling droughts. Sometimes, tornadoes. Sometimes, nourishing rain. He doesn't poke His finger into the system He designed very often, and certainly not to "do what's best for twenty-million people".

Want to pray about the storm? Go ahead. Maybe He'll change things to spare some particularly faithful person. More likely, though, the storm will still hit right about where we predicted with about the same strength we predicted.

Instead, pray that He'll send strength and comfort to those in its path. That prayer is much more likely to be answered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Paganistic thinking is that many gods control the weather. Monotheistic thinking is that there is one true God who controls all things, and the weather is just one small thing.

Typical -- God controls all things; Christans control* God.

*true, "manipulate" would be a better word here, but allow me a bit of poetic license.

Regardless, I stand by it. The thread is titled "CHRISTIANS, rebuke TS Isaac...", and IMHO would have better fit in the Christians-only area anyway.

Not sure if they'd tell you any different.

My desire is that the Lord's will be done through TS/Hurricane Isaac, since there are millions affected/potentially affected, and there is no possible way I could ever fathom and sort through doing what's best for all 20 million of them. That is in God's league, though.

Our point is that if it's God's will that Isaac steamroller over the Southern U.S., no amount of rebuking is going to change that. Agreed?

Christians would probably be better off praying for understanding God's reasons for Isaac -- whatever it ends up doing.

If non-Christians don't agree, fine. This is not a sales pitch for God.

Fair enough.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

That strikes this skeptic as a pretty fine distinction.

Storms give every appearance of working according to understandable mechanistic principles. This is why we grow in in our ability to predict the behavior of storms by the careful observation and analysis of meteorological phenomena, which would be a perfect waste if time if they were being jerked around at the obscure whim of one or more supernatural beings. That is why I feel free to joke about wanting them to go one direction or the other, no matter how large they are. Nothing I say or think will effect them whatsoever. One statement as to my desires is as absurd as the next.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
God does not directly control the weather.

I suppose--in the same way that Lee Iacocca did not directly control the assembly lines. But all he has to do is say they stop rolling, and they stop rolling. Now...if Lee Iacocca happens to be your dad, then you have some pull with him. But you still have to respect what he does, because he is dealing with layoffs, market projections, law conformance, internal politics...while you are dealing with tricycles, barbie dolls, and Sega Genesis.

Kinda like that.

Upvote 0

Matelot

Aug 26, 2012
✟194.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I suppose--in the same way that Lee Iacocca did not directly control the assembly lines. But all he has to do is say they stop rolling, and they stop rolling. Now...if Lee Iacocca happens to be your dad, then you have some pull with him. But you still have to respect what he does, because he is dealing with layoffs, market projections, law conformance, internal politics...while you are dealing with tricycles, barbie dolls, and Sega Genesis.

Kinda like that.

I wanted to find fault in such an apparently dubious comparison with the former prez of Chrysler and God, but you actually made a good analogy. Not that I believe in Lee Iacocca mind you.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Job was very faithful, and a holy man of God. He prayed for the well-being and safety of his children before the left for a party on that fateful day, yet they still died. Even though it was not Job's will for any of his children to perish (or to lose any of his wealth, health, or friends,) God's will trumped Job's will. Likewise, many prophets and men of God desperately prayed for ways out of situations - many times in the most extreme form (death by God.) Yet, God had other plans.
But it all turned out ok after God won His bet with the devil - Job got a new wife and new children and even more wealth.:amen:

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But it all turned out ok after God won His bet with the devil - Job got a new wife and new children and even more wealth.:amen:

What devil? I don't see anything in the Book of Job that shows any animosity between God and this particular angel.

You can't even really call it a "bet" since there was nothing wagered -- it was more like God allowed his servant to make Job suffer in order to prove a point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sooooo... when your husband and kids are all wiped out in some disaster, it won't matter--everything will turn out ok? Seriously?

Upvote 0