Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
€47m building will feature a church, a mosque and a synagogue all linked to a central meeting space

On the site of a church torn down by East Germany’s communist rulers, a new place of worship is set to rise that will bring Christians, Jews and Muslims under one roof – and it has already been dubbed a “churmosquagogue”.

The foundation stone of the House of One in Berlin will be laid at a ceremony on 27 May, marking the end of 10 years of planning and the beginning of an estimated four years of construction, and symbolising a new venture in interfaith cooperation and dialogue. The €47m building, designed by Berlin architects Kuehn Malvezzi, will incorporate a church, a mosque and a synagogue linked to a central meeting space. People of other faiths and denominations, and those of no faith, will be invited to events and discussions in the large hall.

“The idea is pretty simple,” said Roland Stolte, a Christian theologian who helped start the project. “We wanted to build a house of prayer and learning, where these three religions could co-exist while each retaining their own identity.”

Andreas Nachama, a rabbi who is turning the vision into reality in partnership with a pastor and imam, said: “There are many different ways to God, and each is a good way.” In the House of One, Christians, Muslims and Jews would worship separately, but would visit each other for religious holidays, commemorations and celebrations, he added.

“It is more than a symbol. It is the start of a new era where we show there is no hate between us.”

Continued below.
Christians, Muslims and Jews to share faith centre in Berlin

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“There are many different ways to God, and each is a good way.”

Christians don't believe this, and neither do Muslims. Don't know about Jews, but I find it dubious at best.

Sure it's fine to talk, but not okay to water down the truth of God into something meaningless and not of God.

I'm sure its something the world will love though...

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see why this could not work, even if one doesn't assume the "There are many different ways to God, and each is a good way" premise. If they are preserving their separate identities, then the joint worship would need to reflect that in some way, while allowing for a single gathering. Surely, they all claim the God of Abraham. Is that enough common ground? Perhaps, it could work without denying the differences? I don't know.

Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
€47m building will feature a church, a mosque and a synagogue all linked to a central meeting space

On the site of a church torn down by East Germany’s communist rulers, a new place of worship is set to rise that will bring Christians, Jews and Muslims under one roof – and it has already been dubbed a “churmosquagogue”.

The foundation stone of the House of One in Berlin will be laid at a ceremony on 27 May, marking the end of 10 years of planning and the beginning of an estimated four years of construction, and symbolising a new venture in interfaith cooperation and dialogue. The €47m building, designed by Berlin architects Kuehn Malvezzi, will incorporate a church, a mosque and a synagogue linked to a central meeting space. People of other faiths and denominations, and those of no faith, will be invited to events and discussions in the large hall.

“The idea is pretty simple,” said Roland Stolte, a Christian theologian who helped start the project. “We wanted to build a house of prayer and learning, where these three religions could co-exist while each retaining their own identity.”

Andreas Nachama, a rabbi who is turning the vision into reality in partnership with a pastor and imam, said: “There are many different ways to God, and each is a good way.” In the House of One, Christians, Muslims and Jews would worship separately, but would visit each other for religious holidays, commemorations and celebrations, he added.

“It is more than a symbol. It is the start of a new era where we show there is no hate between us.”

Continued below.
Things can be pretty hopeless and violent in europe, having a symbol of co-operation regardless of differences is not a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Christians don't believe this, and neither do Muslims. Don't know about Jews, but I find it dubious at best.

Sure it's fine to talk, but not okay to water down the truth of God into something meaningless and not of God.

I'm sure its something the world will love though...
Jews believe that people of all faiths who abide by the Noahide laws, the laws that God gave to Noah, will have a place in Heaven.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I don't see why this could not work, even if one doesn't assume the "There are many different ways to God, and each is a good way" premise. If they are preserving their separate identities, then the joint worship would need to reflect that in some way, while allowing for a single gathering. Surely, they all claim the God of Abraham. Is that enough common ground? Perhaps, it could work without denying the differences? I don't know.
Yes, they do indeed all worship the God of Abraham. We can only hope that this kind of setting might lead to a greater understanding of each other and an increased tolerance of each other.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Surely, they all claim the God of Abraham. Is that enough common ground? Perhaps, it could work without denying the differences? I don't know.
full
(I am pretty sure that you are describing Baha'i Faith...)

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
No, they do not all worship the God of Abraham.
I understand the grounds for your statement. I will only say that all three claim to worship the God of Abraham and the Vatican II teachings would seem to indicate that the Catholic Church now holds that all three do worship the God of Abraham.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not only an aesthetic abomination but a theological one as well. I'm going to guess any Christian prayers uttered in this building will omit prayers to Christ as God, how else could the Muslims tolerate such a project?

Yes, they do indeed all worship the God of Abraham. We can only hope that this kind of setting might lead to a greater understanding of each other and an increased tolerance of each other.

It can only lead to apathy towards religious matters in the public arena and the decline of Christianity even more so in Germany.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

As a former Muslim I do disagree... I worship a clearly different God now than I did as a practicing Muslim

I know it sounds nice to say. And it's certainly kind anyway, but it's not true, and as Christians we should be grounded in the truth, and speak it to others.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Continued below.

Great idea. What better way is there to share out faith? They will see our love and joy in Christ. Imagine how many will change because of that positive representation of the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's not only an aesthetic abomination but a theological one as well. I'm going to guess any Christian prayers uttered in this building will omit prayers to Christ as God, how else could the Muslims tolerate such a project?

It can only lead to apathy towards religious matters in the public arena and the decline of Christianity even more so in Germany.

Or it is a forum through which the love of Christ can be revealed to those who have never considered it. Why would the prayers omit Christ? Each religion as their own place. There's just a single meeting area.

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Or it is a forum through which the love of Christ can be revealed to those who have never considered it. Why would the prayers omit Christ? Each religion as their own place. There's just a single meeting area.

I think what he is getting at, is the de-facto result of many inter-faith projects often ends with Islam and Muslims being treated as the "First among equals" and any theological conflict always seems to favour the Islamic world view.

However I know plenty of Turks, Kurds and Albanians who identify as Muslim who have no qualms with Christians proclaiming Christ as the Son and the crucified one. However I find a lot of people of Pakistani and Arab heritage who identify as Muslim, who seem to dislike the notion of Christians proclaiming Christ as the Crucified Son of God. Of course this anecdotal and based on my personal experience and people I Know or have crossed paths with, I cannot speak for everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think what he is getting at, is the de-facto result of many inter-faith projects often ends with Islam and Muslims being treated as the "First among equals" and any theological conflict always seems to favour the Islamic world view.

However I know plenty of Turks, Kurds and Albanians who identify as Muslim who have no qualms with Christians proclaiming Christ as the Son and the crucified one. However I find a lot of people of Pakistani and Arab heritage who identify as Muslim, who seem to dislike the notion of Christians proclaiming Christ as the Crucified Son of God. Of course this anecdotal and based on my personal experience and people I Know or have crossed paths with, I cannot speak for everyone.

That has not been my experience. Whenever I have worked on a project with multiple faith groups, all have been very respectful towards each other. In some cases, a camaraderie developed. It's a beautiful thing to see groups that once warred with one another working together for a common good.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

To be more welcoming and accepting of Muslims. Otherwise, insistence on the idea that Jesus is God would offend Muslim commitments to their doctrine of the oneness of God. Why do you want to offend Muslims with Christian prayers?

How is this an expression of the love of Christ? This is toleration of false ideas, Judaism and Islam in the name of political correctness.

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
To be more welcoming and accepting of Muslims. Otherwise, insistence on the idea that Jesus is God would offend Muslim commitments to their doctrine of the oneness of God. Why do you want to offend Muslims with Christian prayers?

How is this an expression of the love of Christ? This is toleration of false ideas, Judaism and Islam in the name of political correctness.

Except no one stated that would be done...

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,873.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except no one stated that would be done...
And why shouldn't it be done if the goal is tolerance, unity and understanding? Muslims have a very strict idea concerning Monotheism. To them to worship Jesus is an abomination, he is after all merely a Prophet of the most high (PBUH) and to give him worship which is due only to God is shirk. The worst thing imaginable.

Do you want to offend Muslims? Do you think the German Christians in this place of cultural and religious understanding have any right to insist on their Christian worship?

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And why shouldn't it be done if the goal is tolerance, unity and understanding? Muslims have a very strict idea concerning Monotheism. To them to worship Jesus is an abomination, he is after all merely a Prophet of the most high (PBUH) and to give him worship which is due only to God is shirk. The worst thing imaginable.

Do you want to offend Muslims? Do you think the German Christians in this place of cultural and religious understanding have any right to insist on their Christian worship?

The point of the space is that all three can practice their beliefs without infringing on the beliefs of the other.

Upvote 0