cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
One time, I was in a little church and the pastor let me share and I spoke about having a personal relationship with Jesus. It wasn't just about 'going to church' but having a relationship with Him. It just went over people's heads and when the pastor got up, he continued about 'getting people in church', not bringing them to christ.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Another thing, that is sad if there are 'christians' going around, not sure of their own salvation---as if His dying on the Cross was all in vain. I can't see the Father wanting His children to go around unsure of their own salvation. I'm sorry but that is wrong. Jesus came that we might have LIFE!!! HIS Word word says, that any one who comes to Him, He will surely not cast out(Sorry but I don't have the verse site with me right now.) HE came to bring us LIFE, not religion! And to me, there are people in churches, who are living religion, not LIFE, and if they aren't sure if they're gonna make it, then, they probably doesn't know about the Plan of Salvation.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
If they're unsure of their salvation, then they also don't know the Word!!! By the way, the one woman who made that comment about "Lord let me in your Kingdom" when on the operation table, lives down the street from me. I won't feel uncomfortable around her because she's not like the other woman(the one with long hair and dress) with the weird religious vibes. I'm planning to give my neighbor some scriptures, etc, but not around the religious woman. Lara

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I still believe you need to tolerate other interpretations and understand that your personal beliefs are not shared by the vast majority of Christians. A good book about the Orhtodox Christian understanding of salvation is "Are You Saved? The Orthodox Christian Process of Salvation" by Barbara Pappas.

A good article on the Catholic understanding of salvation can be found here: http://www.catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

A nice summation of the belief can be found at the end of the article:

Q: "Are you Saved?"

A: "As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

The Roman Catholic Church is by far the biggest branch of Christianity, with like a billion members. Orthodox Christians number upwards of 300 million worldwide. That's a lot of Christians who are "wrong" by your standards.

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

angelbaby2

Jan 23, 2004
✟136.00
Faith
Christian
There are going to be people like that most any where. I mean you can't go by what you hear from a few people. I am a christian and I have a wonderful relationship with the Lord and I have a wonderful church. Maybe you need to go to another church or maybe back up north with the ones that you are so sure are gooood christian people.
I mean you have made if well known here that you don't care for the south. I was born and raised in the south and it is my home and if you don't like it leave it!

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Prepare yourself for a shock!. I'm not from the North! I was born in Fort Worth,TX! I've only been up north a few times(Illinois for Cornerstone christian music festival) and the only time I've been to New York City was just in the airport getting off one plane and on another on my way on a trip to the HolyLand, Israel! I spent much of my childhood, either in Fort Worth, Texas or out in New Mexico which I grew to love. I've lived in Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Texas, and now Arkansas, but never lived up north! love, Lara

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
I'm originally from MS (raised in First Baptist Church of Jackson, MS) and I now live in Connecticut (just moved this past summer). It seems from my own observations that people everywhere are spiritually starved for Christ, churched and non-churched. I think religion is a lot more out in the open in the south than it is where I live now, but people I know in *both* regions pay empty lip service to Christian principles and doctrine (and even profess Christ as lord of their lives) and yet continue to be racist, sexist, homophobic (in the sense of *hating* all homosexuals without wanting to help them know Christ), and elitist. We are all humans and fall short of God's glory--and it ain't just the south in this one.

Upvote 0

movin_on_up

An American in Italy
Jan 26, 2004
Naples, Italy
✟210.00
Faith
Christian
Cherokee, in a few posts back, you mentioned your frustration at not having Christian coffee shops where all people could feel welcome. Perhaps that is a ministry/vocation for you? You seem to feel passionately about issues so rather than be frustrated and angry, why not use your passion to make the changes you mention?

As for 'genuine' Christianity in the West (AZ), you should know that statistically the West is the most unchurched in the US. Thus, the on-fire Christians you meet in church are on fire because they are in the minority every day of their lives.

I'm in Wash. where less than 3% of the population attends church. It would be refreshing to live somewhere where stating you're a Christian isn't met with suspicion or ridicule -- or an immediate reply of "that's not for me."

I can't address other parts of the country I'm not familiar with, but I do know this -- the Lord directs us to forgive others, esp our brothers/sisters in Christ. Rather than view other Christians with anger, disgust and scorn, why not forgive and move on to do the work the Lord has put in front of you?

In His love,
Kathy

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
It's not about me holding unforgiveness against the church, I have to express my feelings of 'religion' and religious bondage in the church system. Don't I have a right to do say, even without fear of being rebuked for something like holding unforgiveness?? Without intimidation!! To be honest, I'm very embarrassed by the type of 'christianity' that's represented in the south. That's not what I want to represent to those who don't know Christ. Yet, I also know, that I have the gift of intercession and I constantly bring this up to the Lord on a regular basis. I know that Abba's been taking me thru a process of healing and deliverence these past few years. I feel frustration because I can't socialize well, especially in certain christian gatherings(the kind I really love, Native Christian and others) because I feel overwhelmed with everything that's going on around me and I feel weighed down with social anxiety which I try to shake off, I come agains the spirit of anxiety but it is there, etc. I often feel like I'm on the outside, looking in of what's going on. As if the Lord has me on the outskirts for some reason. I get tired at gatherings. I find myself a lot of time at home with my cats, living a reclusive life somewhat(not totally because I am around others), I make pine needle baskets, learning my guitar and taking a class, Native American Literature. I get worn down having to talk to a lot of people in town, I don't feel comfortable with them unless they are female. I don't think I'm the type to open up a coffee shop in Eureka Springs, and besides, I don't have the money. I'll have to get some liked minded people to do it with me if I was, and it is probably expensive to get a place on that street. I live 2 and half hours away. Here in Mt. View where I live, it's mostly senior citizens, not very many hippies, but I have considered opening my home for a home group and have us worship Abba with the drum, etc. This town is mostly traditional(old hymns, southern gospel) type town and the one church that is the more 'cutting edge' is still too traditional for my taste. I don't know how to describe it but I don't relate well with certain people--try as I might, it's as if I can't get thru and be a part of them, etc. I'm always on the outskirts looking in, except with certain people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Walk in Faith

New Found Glory
Feb 9, 2004
✟257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LuxPerpetua said:
I'm originally from MS (raised in First Baptist Church of Jackson, MS) and I now live in Connecticut (just moved this past summer). It seems from my own observations that people everywhere are spiritually starved for Christ, churched and non-churched. I think religion is a lot more out in the open in the south than it is where I live now, but people I know in *both* regions pay empty lip service to Christian principles and doctrine (and even profess Christ as lord of their lives) and yet continue to be racist, sexist, homophobic (in the sense of *hating* all homosexuals without wanting to help them know Christ), and elitist. We are all humans and fall short of God's glory--and it ain't just the south in this one.

I agree. ;)

Upvote 0

n2wolves

Sep 4, 2003
Tennessee
✟15,600.00
Faith
Non-Denom
cherokeehippie said:
Prepare yourself for a shock!. I'm not from the North! I was born in Fort Worth,TX! I've only been up north a few times(Illinois for Cornerstone christian music festival) and the only time I've been to New York City was just in the airport getting off one plane and on another on my way on a trip to the HolyLand, Israel! I spent much of my childhood, either in Fort Worth, Texas or out in New Mexico which I grew to love. I've lived in Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Texas, and now Arkansas, but never lived up north! love, Lara
Hope the fall from that high horse your on isn't so high.....can't believe you've made the assumtions you've posted on the basis of living in only 3 southern states....and i'm sure you've attended every church in those three states haven't you......

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Okay, I confess, I have been a real jerk and I ask everyone's forgiveness. I did not act in love. Abba convicted me that what I did was not love or of His character and His Heart for the South and people of the south. Yes, I very much have things I love about the south. Lightning bugs, bluegrass and blues music, my cherokee ancestors lived in the south, it's wonderful living in the south where it doesn't snow several feet or get snowed in several days like they do in the north. And many other things that I'm probably not aware of, since I've never lived up north in New York, etc. I acted out of zeal that I should have let Abba fixed in my life. Forgive me. Lara

Upvote 0

DixieBelle

Veteran
Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
✟8,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Cherokee: Apology accepted...by me anyway. A lot of times its not so much what folks have to say, its how it comes across and that's the biggest problem I've had with what your posts in the past. Even though we here may not agree on a lot of things, there's still no reason we can't accept the fact that we have differing opinions, be friendly and get along, so I hope that's what all of us can do. :hug: Just keep your chin up and look for the positives...it won't make the negatives disappear, but things will sure seem a lot brighter!

God bless you! :wave:

Upvote 0