cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I have a question! How come compared to other parts of the country, christianity in the south has to be so religious instead of real in the Lord?. I mean, I grew up in Texas, spent my first years as a Believer at a traditional baptist church, then when I went off to college in Arizona, and got involved with christian fellowships on campus and in the area, found that that it was more geniune and real compared to back in the south. It just seems to me that christians are more religious than geniune in their relationship with the Lord in the south. Either that, or there is just a bunch of people in church in the south who aren't really saved but just go to church cause it's tradition. It shocks me that there are still those types who think the drum is of the devil, etc--especially in the sticks in Arkansas.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of "Christianity" in the south is traditon; I call it "cultural Christianity". The south is part of the bible belt. Church was very integrated into society of the south in the past and those traditions follow into today. For example if you ask my brother if he is a Christian , he will say yes because he belongs to a church/goes to church, but he really doesn't practice Christianity in his everyday life and has never asked Jesus into his heart. This is typical of a lot of people in the south and I find it sad. Many go to church, go through the rituals and traditions because it's what they or their family has always done but don't really know Christ. Sorta like a Sunday morning Christianity. It's hard to witness to my family and friends that do this. On one hand it's good because people are open to you talking about Jesus, but on the other hand it's hard because they think they are a Christian. And my family thinks i'm a fanatic because I don't just want to put on a show for Sunday morning, but try to live it the rest of the week. does that make sense?

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Yes, it's so sad it has to be this way. I've been living here in a little Ozark town for 3 yrs now, and one time I was at this little church. The pastor let me get up and share a bit--I can't remember exactly what I did that night, either sang a song or share, but I remember I mention having a personal relationship with Jesus, not just going to church. It was as if it went over people's heads. And the pastor when he got up to speak, spoke of 'getting people in church', no mention was made of having a personal relationship with Christ. Then, I have a great-aunt, she married my grandmother's brother. She's from Arkansas---I realize that she is the perfect example of someone who is religious, but don't know the Lord. We clash. We don't fight, we just clash. I notice that I tend to want to get as far from "cultural christianity" as possible. I'm very different. I'm a hippyish christian.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nope , no one said that. This isn't stereo typing, it's reality of the south. That doesn't mean that everyone you come in contact with is like that, but it does exist in great numbers. And I can't judge anyone's heart, but I can see the fruit or lack of. And I hope that many people who think like that will realized that Christ loves them and that just going to church every week doesn't save you, my family included.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I agree with Mina! Arkansas people are far from stupid. Abba has an awesome plan for the people of Arkansas, just like He does for New Mexico and everywhere. I believe, though, that there are territorial strongholds in regions and there's a territorial spirit in Arkansas that's keeping out the fullness and blessings the Lord has for the Body of Christ in Arkansas. We got to find out what it is. I believe that it has to do with racism and injustice done on the land--The Trail of Tears went thru Arkansas, as well as other states in the southeast. I've been around the country in different places--and to put it bluntly, churches in Arkansas are set in the 'medieval days'. Not just Arkansas, but most parts of the Southeast. I live in Stone County. I felt the Lord tell me that Stone county is an area of stony hearts. It might take a crushing of the stony hearts to bring the new thing Abba wants. Whats really interesting, if you take North, East, and West--the first letters of those directions come out NEW. And bring the NEW to Arkansas and the rest of the Southeast--the body of christ in the SE needs to be open to the NEW from the Body of Christ from the North, East and West! There's a famine on the land! Not physical but spiritual! The land mourns because of sin of bloodshed, etc on it. I feel the land mourning in the Ozarks--it's all over, not just the Ozarks. Read 2 Samuel 21 about the famine in the land because of Saul breaking of covenant Israel had with the gibeonites(Joshua 9 explains it). Saul killed gibeonites out of zeal for Israel, but when he did so, he broke the treaty Israel had with the Gibeonites. How much so , the broken treaties with Native Americans!! So I think there's a spiritual famine in the land!

Upvote 0

Ric

1 John 5:13
Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
cherokeehippie said:
I have a question! How come compared to other parts of the country, christianity in the south has to be so religious instead of real in the Lord?. I mean, I grew up in Texas, spent my first years as a Believer at a traditional baptist church, then when I went off to college in Arizona, and got involved with christian fellowships on campus and in the area, found that that it was more geniune and real compared to back in the south. It just seems to me that christians are more religious than geniune in their relationship with the Lord in the south. Either that, or there is just a bunch of people in church in the south who aren't really saved but just go to church cause it's tradition. It shocks me that there are still those types who think the drum is of the devil, etc--especially in the sticks in Arkansas.
I have heard the opposite!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cherokeehippie said:
I agree with Mina! Arkansas people are far from stupid. Abba has an awesome plan for the people of Arkansas, just like He does for New Mexico and everywhere. I believe, though, that there are territorial strongholds in regions and there's a territorial spirit in Arkansas that's keeping out the fullness and blessings the Lord has for the Body of Christ in Arkansas. We got to find out what it is. I believe that it has to do with racism and injustice done on the land--The Trail of Tears went thru Arkansas, as well as other states in the southeast. I've been around the country in different places--and to put it bluntly, churches in Arkansas are set in the 'medieval days'. Not just Arkansas, but most parts of the Southeast. I live in Stone County. I felt the Lord tell me that Stone county is an area of stony hearts. It might take a crushing of the stony hearts to bring the new thing Abba wants. Whats really interesting, if you take North, East, and West--the first letters of those directions come out NEW. And bring the NEW to Arkansas and the rest of the Southeast--the body of christ in the SE needs to be open to the NEW from the Body of Christ from the North, East and West! There's a famine on the land! Not physical but spiritual! The land mourns because of sin of bloodshed, etc on it. I feel the land mourning in the Ozarks--it's all over, not just the Ozarks. Read 2 Samuel 21 about the famine in the land because of Saul breaking of covenant Israel had with the gibeonites(Joshua 9 explains it). Saul killed gibeonites out of zeal for Israel, but when he did so, he broke the treaty Israel had with the Gibeonites. How much so , the broken treaties with Native Americans!! So I think there's a spiritual famine in the land!
I live in Washington County. Most hippies I know live in Carroll County, particularly in and around Eureka Springs. How's this for a blanket statment: All hippies are dopers. Nice huh? Kind of like, "and to put it bluntly, churches in Arkansas are set in the 'medieval days'."

We're no longer bound by the Law. Christ freed us from it. The Gospel is a call to repentance and profession of Christ as Lord and Savior. I'm not worried about getting punished for slavery or lynchings or the Jim Crow laws. I had nothing to do with it. I reject the works of the Devil. I also didn't have anything to do with the harsh treatment of the Native Americans. But I am obligated to raise my children not to repeat the mistakes of the past. And thankfully, I was raised in a loving, Christian home where I see all equally. I will raise my children the same. As far as the land mourning thing you wrote, well I'm not into New Agism. Vengenance is the Lord's, He alone will repay.

Oh and no thanks to your offer or idea or whatever it is to bring the NEW to Arkansas. Thankfully, the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church is present, preaching the same Gospel Christ preached 2000 years ago.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mina said:
nope , no one said that. This isn't stereo typing, it's reality of the south. That doesn't mean that everyone you come in contact with is like that, but it does exist in great numbers. And I can't judge anyone's heart, but I can see the fruit or lack of. And I hope that many people who think like that will realized that Christ loves them and that just going to church every week doesn't save you, my family included.
In order for you to prove this, you would have to know what is in people's hearts. You would have to conduct some gigantic sociological study and then aided by a miracle from God, you would be able to know the contents of one's heart. You know not what you talk about.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Photini said:
What is a hippyish christian?
Well I can't speak for cherokeehippie but outside of Fayetteville in the last five years or so ago, there was a hippie church that tried, unsuccessfully, to let the state of Arkansas allow them to smoke dope during church services. A few of the leaders of the church ended up getting arrested and all. I don't know if they moved or just ceased to 'worship' but haven't heard anything out of them since......

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jukesk9 said:
In order for you to prove this, you would have to know what is in people's hearts. You would have to conduct some gigantic sociological study and then aided by a miracle from God, you would be able to know the contents of one's heart. You know not what you talk about.

I know what I talk about because I grew up in those attitudes. Before I came to know Christ, I went to a church where my sunday school teachers said that being good was the way to get to heaven I don't remember anything being said about asking Christ in your heart. I have lived this and I live around it. I just said I can't judge anyone's hearts, but as Christians we can tell if someone is following the Lord by their actions and words. Not every person in the south is like this but it is very present. It's not my job to go out and judge mass groups of people, but I do know this attitude is real and present in the south and I do want to be equipped to point people to Jesus no matter who I run into. I know older people who go to church week after week after week and always have since they were young, but they have no relationship with Christ and are very open about that, and when you start talking to them about having a relationship with Christ they say you are fanatical. This is a very real attitude present in my area. I've been to different churches in my state when I was in college and high school and seen the very same thing. I've talked with people from other areas of the south where they have witnessed the same things also. I think it's good to know what you will encounter in your area so that you know what to do when you meet up with it. I want people to come to know Christ. If you turn a blind eye to it, these people will slip through the cracks.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mina said:
I know what I talk about
No, you don't. It is impossible to make such a sweeping statement and be right about that.

because I grew up in those attitudes.
You might be right about a small amount of people you knew/know, but again, you can't apply that to everyone in the South, southeast, or Arkansas.

Before I came to know Christ, I went to a church where my sunday school teachers said that being good was the way to get to heaven
Then that particular place taught in error.

I don't remember anything being said about asking Christ in your heart.
That's because Scripture doesn't say that. Asking Jesus into your heart along with the Sinner's Prayer and the Altar Call are late 19th Century inventions by American Fundamentalists.

Not every person in the south is like this but it is very present.
This could be said about the entire world.

It's not my job to go out and judge mass groups of people,
Thank God.

but I do know this attitude is real and present in the south
Then you must've racked up a lot of mileage. How many churches have you spent time in throughout the South? How many Southern States have you spent a significant amount of time in? This is an amazing claim you make.

and I do want to be equipped to point people to Jesus no matter who I run into.
That's good.

I know older people who go to church week after week after week and always have since they were young, but they have no relationship with Christ and are very open about that, and when you start talking to them about having a relationship with Christ they say you are fanatical. This is a very real attitude present in my area.
Exactly. Your area. And it is limited to the few people you have talked to. My parish priest quite often speaks about the necessity of having an intimate relationship with Jesus. Just yesterday in the Confessional, he was telling me that God is calling for a closer relationship with me. It's wonderful to hear how much Jesus loves us. I proudly proclaim Jesus as my Lord and Savior. My heart is on fire for Him.

I've been to different churches in my state when I was in college and high school and seen the very same thing. I've talked with people from other areas of the south where they have witnessed the same things also.
9,000 people go to my parish. I know a handful of them. It would take a very long time for me to interview each one of the 9,000 and ask them about their relationship with Jesus. At each of these churches you visited, did you stop each person before or after church and ask them if they knew Jesus? You know what? If you did that to me, I'd probably think you were a little nutty. I'd probably think you were fanatical. And you'd judge me and write me off saying, "there's another lost soul" when in fact, you judged in error because I do believe in Christ and have a personal relationship with Him. I want no stranger to come up and bother me when I'm worshipping the Lord. They know not the content of my heart.

I think it's good to know what you will encounter in your area so that you know what to do when you meet up with it. I want people to come to know Christ. If you turn a blind eye to it, these people will slip through the cracks.
And you must be careful with the way you evangelize because you could turn folks away from Christ if you're too zealous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. It seems you just want to fight. As for judging hearts, you sure are trying to judge mine. I'll continue witnessing to people. And I think the holy spirit and God has to be in charge of helping you witness, so i listen pretty closely to Him not y ou. If you want to stand by and keep Jesus from people, I'm very sorry for you. There are many many unsaved people in the church in the south. And if you can't admit that then you are decieved.

BTW why do you think i hang out at the church door and ask every person if they are saved? That was pretty assumptive and wrong. How do you witness to people? You start a relationship with them or are already in a relationship with them and you witness with your life and then with words. I do ask people I care about if they know Jesus, but sometimes they even state that they don't know Him and are amazed that they have been in church so long and never know about how to have a relationship with him. We are all called to share. You get to know people when you share Jesus with them. I don't even know why you are mad over this. It's about sharing Jesus with others and if you aren't doing that then you should start. And if sharing Jesus makes you mad, then that's wrong.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I think I better make myself a little more clear when I talk about the Lord bringing the new to Arkansas from the north, East and West. I'm not talking about New age stuff. I'm talking about new wineskins of the Spirit! Also, many in arkansas and rest of the SE are not open to new things---just the old(old wineskins) There's nothing wrong with old things, I love some of the old gospel songs such as Farther Along, wayfaring Stranger, etc, but they still think of new contemporary styles music as sinful, etc. In other words, there's not much Vineyard type worship here. To many christians around here, what's radically new to them is some of type of music on TBN. Yuck! This one church I know, listens only to ...I can't remember her name, Rita? A worship musican from Australia. I'm into Vineyard worship, Jonathan Maracle, (Native American style worship music to the LORD) and Enter the Worship Circle CD's that Waterdeep and 100 portraits did. I call myself a christian hippie, because I don't fit the traditional mode of christian here. And I don't, yes, I eat organic, dress in tiedye, and I love to drum to Abba, but I don't do pot or worship new age religions, etc.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I think it will really have to take some radical shaking of some kind to wake up the dead in the churches in the SE. I think Abba will have to bring real christians out of the dead churches into a totally new thing--so new, that those who think they're christians or who are traditional, etc will persecute the new and consider it sinful. I remember when Jesus said that there will be those who will persecute and kill us and really think they are doing God's will. It was the religious folk who wanted the LORD out of the way. It will be the same for us as radical Believers, it won't be the new agers or gays 'killing us' it will be the religious pharisees of today!!! Every time I go to Eureka Springs, I get angry because Eureka(For those of you who don't know, there's a Passion Play and a christian park on the outskirts of Eureka Springs and tourists come to that each year. In contrast, in downtown historical Eureka Springs is where artists, New Agers and gays live and have shops) is a perfect example of the traditional church living side by side with the New agers, but they hardly do anything or reach out to the New age community. They just stay in their only little traditional churchy world and look down their noses at the new agers and gays, not wanting to love or be a witness to them. I think there should be something like a christian alternative coffeeshop or something like that in downtown Eureka with a hippie style ministry to the people there. But there's none at all:( I always pray for Abba to send one to Eureka--I pray for seedplanters and harvesters in His Field!! The harvest is plentyful but the laborers are few!)

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
Oh, I had to mention this as well, yesterday I went to Little Rock, to stock up on organic health food at "Wild Oats@" When I was putting my groceries in the back of my cruiser, a woman came out and put her groceries up in her car which was next to mine. We made a few comments to each other. She must have thought I wasn't saved, because I was dressed in tie dye, and long Indian braids, she handed me a paper from her church, inviting me to her church. Now there's nothing wrong with that per say, but I just knew she probably thought, because I wasn't dressed in a traditional maternal southern belle way of dress, that I 'needed to be invited to church'.

Upvote 0

cherokeehippie

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2003
somewhere in the Ozarks
Visit site
✟19,793.00
Faith
Messianic
I got to meet some distant cousins on one side of my family this past summer--I went to a family reunion. I found that not only my gr-gr-grandfather, but his brother also were methodist ministers on the frontier. Back in those days, methodists weren't like they are today--they were on fire for the Lord. I read my gr-gr-grandfather's brother's obituary and it said that he would preach til he was hoarsed and would stay all night to get people saved. Back then, they had what was called the mourner's bench where those lost and who knew it would seek after the Lord. There was one lady who married another great-uncle of mine, she used to be mean, but then had a death experience and saw the gates of hell and was radically saved thru that experience. A cousin told me that story. He said afterwards, she was always the one shouting the loudest and dancing the aisles afterwards(those who are forgiven the most, loves the most!) This cousin said he missed how it was a long time ago and comments on how they don't shout anymore in church.

Upvote 0