• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Christians in the Military

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by SCOTT DIAMOND, Apr 12, 2019.

1. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+10,864
    Christian
    Private
    The scripture says what the swords were for, it wasnt for self defense. God delivered the apostles from harm. So they needed no swords for protection.

2. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+4,721
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I don’t feel at liberty to make a judgment call for others given the severity of what it entails. This is something we must take to God and reconcile within ourselves.

However, in my sphere of influence it is not an option. I don’t believe in knowingly making myself subject to authority whose philosophy and hands are known to shift. Nor am I willing to compromise myself or loved ones for a greater cause.

3. FIRESTORM314

FIRESTORM314 Well-Known Member Supporter

+377
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    I'd be more concerned if there were no Christians in the Military.

Bullying, pecking orders and brutality can happen if there is no-one to set standards. Just think if your commander is a bit of a thug - won't that behaviour sweep. through the ranks?

If you are looking for a few good men who stay within decent boundaries then why not recruit Christians?

Acts 10
    At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, 2 a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.

I think we can all be thankfull for those who gave their lives in the war for freedom and democracy.

This is what our Commander said to us

This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

God Bless.

4. SCOTT DIAMOND

SCOTT DIAMOND New Member

+1
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    Thanks for your thoughtful and balanced reply. In asking my question, I was asking for biblical evidence for a particular position (we all have opinions but whether or not they are supported in the bible is another matter). I think the discussion of the Roman soldier does address that. Clearly there are still differing opinions so I guess it is an ongoing debate of how clear the message is. I certainly agree that this issue is complex and nuanced.

I'm not a Christian myself. I'm not a pacifist. I'm in debt to all that have so honorably served in our country's military. But I also appreciate the point about a just war. Personally, I think it is healthy to question the moral and/or religious aspect of our actions. Thanks.