W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But the apostles are not "living by the sword". Jesus is commanding them in Luke 22:36 to purchase swords. What other purpose would those swords be used? Furthermore, Matthew 26:52 doesn't forbid people to "live by the sword", it is a warning that those who do should expect to "die by the sword". Contextually to the discussion this would mean, "Do not serve the military unless you are willing to risk your life in service to the military."
The scripture says what the swords were for, it wasnt for self defense. God delivered the apostles from harm. So they needed no swords for protection.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t feel at liberty to make a judgment call for others given the severity of what it entails. This is something we must take to God and reconcile within ourselves.

However, in my sphere of influence it is not an option. I don’t believe in knowingly making myself subject to authority whose philosophy and hands are known to shift. Nor am I willing to compromise myself or loved ones for a greater cause.

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m not a Christian but I’ve had a question about the Christian faith for years and I hope someone in this forum can answer for me. My question is fairly basic and that is how can a Christian serve in the military? To me, Christian teaching points to pacifism as the only option. I realize that there are countless quotes one could provide in the old testament regarding war but I’d rather focus on the teachings of Christ. Can anyone imagine Christ pulling a trigger and killing someone? To me that seems like an anathema to all his teachings. And if the goal is to be Christ-like then wouldn’t that imply pacifism? Am I wrong on this? (Presumably I am since there are so many Christians that serve in the military.) Are their statements in the new testament in which Christ condones taking of another person’s life in war?

I hope this doesn’t come across as goading or baiting. I am seriously trying to understand what I see as a contradiction. Thanks for all polite replies.

I'd be more concerned if there were no Christians in the Military.

Bullying, pecking orders and brutality can happen if there is no-one to set standards. Just think if your commander is a bit of a thug - won't that behaviour sweep. through the ranks?

If you are looking for a few good men who stay within decent boundaries then why not recruit Christians?

Acts 10
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, 2 a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God.

I think we can all be thankfull for those who gave their lives in the war for freedom and democracy.

This is what our Commander said to us

This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

SCOTT DIAMOND

Apr 12, 2019
PORTLAND
✟15,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Enter in Augustines Just War Theory... which relies heavily on the above text from Romans but also the story where Jesus heals the daughter of the Roman solider in Luke 7. Notice the soldier was not condemned for his work, notice Jesus talks about the great faith of the solder.

The challenge of this, as well as further expansions of Just War theory, is they get farther and farther from the sermon on the mount... and not too many military actions fall under the just war criteria. Add in US nationalism, and a co-mingling of church in state, plus a fear of churches and pastors publishing pacifist articles and coming under the fear of govt between the civil war and WWI... and that voice shrinks. Add in the experience of WWII and its atrocities... pacifism is pretty much gone from US Christianity.

This is an academic piece which investigates how the Church of Christ (a very conservative Bible based US church) did a 180 degree turn on their theology over the years.
https://digitalcommons.pepperdine.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1625&context=leaven

The issue of Christians and the military is exceedingly complex and nuanced.

Thanks for your thoughtful and balanced reply. In asking my question, I was asking for biblical evidence for a particular position (we all have opinions but whether or not they are supported in the bible is another matter). I think the discussion of the Roman soldier does address that. Clearly there are still differing opinions so I guess it is an ongoing debate of how clear the message is. I certainly agree that this issue is complex and nuanced.

I'm not a Christian myself. I'm not a pacifist. I'm in debt to all that have so honorably served in our country's military. But I also appreciate the point about a just war. Personally, I think it is healthy to question the moral and/or religious aspect of our actions. Thanks.

Upvote 0