Mar 12, 2011
Strasbourg
✟15,426.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone

These are election period and everyone as an opinion about everything but most of us seems disappointed and hopeless concerning political moral and vision for the most powerful countries in the world. As a result, people turn toward extremism and it's sad because for me extremism can't be a solution and being respectful is vital (even if we don't agree) ( being steadfast is not the same as being intolerant )
Well that being say, do you think it is possible to be really live your faith as a christian in politics ? Do you know some ? What would require from them?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some Christians believe that the first century Christians refrained from engaging in the political system of the Roman Empire. They take Jesus's declaration that his followers were to be no part of the world as an indication that they should refrain from getting entangled in the military political intrigues of the world.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,482.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Being involved in Politics as a Christian is simply a subset of ethical behaviour viz. how are you going to live out your life in this world?

Some of us are called to be parents, some are called to be single, some are called to be teachers, office workers, labourers, tradesmen, public servants and doctors. Some are called to suffer for Christ (maybe all to some extent), but some are called to be politicians.

The early church was in the position of a persecuted minority. But those of us in the West are not - in fact we live in a Judeo-Christian based cutture, and at one time the Church had immense power in Europe, until it was torn apart by warfare and to a large extent, political chicanery. The secular rulers in Europe didn't want the Church torn apart for religious reasons - they wanted to get their hands on church property, church wealth, and rid themselves of an oppressive moral opponent to their desires.

Anyone who thinks the violence of the Reformation had a purely religious flavour is kidding themselves. It was easily the most violent episode in Church history. And politics was involved every step of the way.

We're called upon to use our Christian faith to improve the world where possible. That the underlying problems of sin and human fallenness will never go away are givens - but that doesn't excuse us from doing nothing about them.

However before someone becomes a political representative, they need to be sure they're called to be so. And it would be a very difficult position to be in.

But if they're called to be politicians, God will want to know how they carried out their role. The more power someone has been given, the more harshly he or she will be judged, just as St. Paul wrote that those Christians who presume to be teachers will be judged more strictly.

This is God's world. Why should the devil have all the power?

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

corrientes57

run with perseverance the race marked out for us
Mar 17, 2016
cordoba argentina
✟7,688.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
“If any earthly institution or custom conflicts with God’s will, it is your Christian duty to oppose it. You must never allow the transitory, evanescent demands of man-made institutions to take precedence over the eternal demands of the Almighty God.”

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
“If any earthly institution or custom conflicts with God’s will, it is your Christian duty to oppose it. You must never allow the transitory, evanescent demands of man-made institutions to take precedence over the eternal demands of the Almighty God.”

There is the crux of the problem. People who proclaim themselves Christians behave as if human governments have the final say in how they should behave. They are supposed to be citizens of a heavenly government as Jesus proclaimed himself to be.

John 18:36
New International Version
Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

Instead they are very willing to slaughter one another at the whim of whatever government demands it. So their behavior belies their claim of being Christians and identifies them clearly as part of this world and as doing the will of the god of this world which the Bible clearly describes as Satan.

Luke 4:6
And the devil said to Him, "I will give You all this domain and its glory; for it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish.

That was no idle boast:

Jesus referred to him as “the ruler of this world” (John 12:31),

“We know that we are of God, and the whole world is in the power of the evil one” (1 John 5:19)

2 Corinthians 4:4King James Version (KJV)
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

That is why earthly governments are described in the following way:

Acts 4:26
The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed one.'

It is also the reason why the following is written for our guidence:

Philippians 3:20-21 ESV /
But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Colossians 3:2 ESV
Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Really
Do you have any scripture to support this? I would be interested if you do.

Upvote 0

The_Gaurdian87

Jun 9, 2015
Virginia
✟24,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I been a democrat since I was able to vote at the age of 18, but now I am 28 I am disillusion with the both political parities. The deomcrats are have gone WAY to far left for me into the outright and most of the liberals seem to fall into the anti religious/ anti christian category which just doesn't sit will with me. The republican party is just a mess and the fact that someone like Trump is being taken serious is proof of how bad it is. I like President Obama and I think he has done a good job overall, even though I don't agree with everything he has done.

But I really question if he is a Christian like he once said he was when he was first elected. Just some things he has said about Christians needing to get with the time when same sex marriage was made legal and now these bathroom laws was kind of a jab at our intelligence and stuff. Anyway, as of right now I guess I will vote for Hilary even though I am not really pumped about it ha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's possible, but I don't know how you can consistently campaign and be a public figure without a dangerous measure of pride. If anyone were able to, that person I believe would be the exception rather than the rule.
Well think of being a pastor of a large church, there must be many temptations of pride and abusing the position, but there also must be very good pastors who spend much of their time in the Word and seek God's strength to resist such things.

I would say someone entering politics would be similar. If they are already starting as a mature believer who daily rests on God's grace alone, it's possible they could become a politician with a heart of service and humility.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well think of being a pastor of a large church, there must be many temptations of pride and abusing the position, but there also must be very good pastors who spend much of their time in the Word and seek God's strength to resist such things.

I would say someone entering politics would be similar. If they are already starting as a mature believer who daily rests on God's grace alone, it's possible they could become a politician with a heart of service and humility.
The thing about being a Christian and a politician is that, at least in the U.S., even if you are sincere about your faith, people might mistrust you and think you're just trying to appease your constiuents, so you'll approve of things they like in order to stay elected. Also as a politician you might have to do some sketchy things, like sucking up to companies with some not-so-Christian business practices, or get involved in shady deals/blackmailing. You might also have to lie about things. Maintaining integrity as a politician might be tough.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The thing about being a Christian and a politician is that, at least in the U.S., even if you are sincere about your faith, people might mistrust you and think you're just trying to appease your constiuents, so you'll approve of things they like in order to stay elected. Also as a politician you might have to do some sketchy things, like sucking up to companies with some not-so-Christian business practices, or get involved in shady deals/blackmailing. You might also have to lie about things. Maintaining integrity as a politician might be tough.
Well I don't think it should matter too much what other people think of you.

I feel sorry for Ted Cruz sometimes if he's a genuine believer, he gets attacked a lot and thought of as being a selfish careerist. The 'Lyin' Ted' label really damaged him. It might all be true of course, but if he's genuine that has to be pretty rough.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Right - though with a large church you can split responsibilities and have a rotation of speakers, thus concentrating less of the responsibility, and therefore power on one person.

Upvote 0