Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That would depend when the feteous is alive. You can't kill something that is not alive.
Of course the baby is alive, unless it's a miscarriage. We're clearly not talking about natural death via miscarriage.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There is no murder when an abortion occurs. The U.S. Constitution prevents abortion from being murder. See Section 1 of the 14th Amendment. When we vote for President, obviously the most important thing is bringing a patriot who understands and honors the Constitution to the White House. Joe Biden meets that requirement.

We can argue about the Christian basis for supporting women who choose to have abortions, but not how to interpret the word "born" that guarantees every woman has the right to choose the fate of her unborn, which is in the 14th Amendment of the United States Constitution.
As Christians, since when do we look to the Constitution to define morality rather than scripture? No wonder the church is in the state it's in, believers expect morality to flow from the state to society rather than from God's spoken word to society.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Of course the baby is alive, unless it's a miscarriage. We're clearly not talking about natural death via miscarriage.

It's only alive if it's sentient, until then it's just a load of cells.

Someone sentient is able to feel things, or sense them. Sentient usually occurs in phrases like "sentient beings" and "sentient creatures," making it clear that things that don't have life don't have feelings.

I suppose from a Christian view when do we have a soul?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It's only alive if it's sentient, until then it's just a load of cells.

Someone sentient is able to feel things, or sense them. Sentient usually occurs in phrases like "sentient beings" and "sentient creatures," making it clear that things that don't have life don't have feelings.

We have a soul from conception. The notion that life only exists when someone is sentient is outrageous as it would deny personhood to all sorts of people with mental deficiencies. You're on the slippery slope to killing off the mentally retarded.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Biden is not perfect but compared to the idiot trump he is a saint. Biden is intelligent, trump is a man baby.

Biden wasn't my first choice. But he does have the skills of reconciling opposing positions and of course, Trump is an obvious disaster for America. I'm guessing that's what most voters thought, based on the outcome.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
As Christians, since when do we look to the Constitution to define morality rather than scripture? No wonder the church is in the state it's in, believers expect morality to flow from the state to society rather than from God's spoken word to society.

Christian morality is a joke.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

What you want is a theocracy, where the Bible is the only rule of law, if you think we should ignore all the laws of our nation that seem to go against it. No patriotic American citizen can oppose the right to choose whether she solves or continues to suffer a huge problem in her life when the solution is guaranteed in an amendment to the Constitution. You do not have to like the choice women make, but respecting everyone who is in a position where an abortion is necessary for reasons only she and God know is Biblical.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

In the Middle Ages, personhood was assumed to be there at the first quickening, when the mother felt the baby move. Science has shown that there is a genetically unique individual when fertilization occurs. We can't see a soul implanted by God, but IMO, that's when it happens.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What you want is a theocracy, where the Bible is the only rule of law, if you think we should ignore all the laws of our nation that seem to go against it.

I don't think that's what he was saying. I think I disagree with him regarding candidates who might be non-Christians, but I surely don't see him calling for a theocracy

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
We have a soul from conception. The notion that life only exists when someone is sentient is outrageous as it would deny personhood to all sorts of people with mental deficiencies. You're on the slippery slope to killing off the mentally retarded.

All people with mental deficiencies are sentient.

A soul from conception? There is no physical body for it to enter. Where does it go until the baby is made?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Biden wasn't my first choice. But he does have the skills of reconciling opposing positions and of course, Trump is an obvious disaster for America. I'm guessing that's what most voters thought, based on the outcome.

Biden is a hell of a lot smarter than trump. Electing a leader should not just be about political views it should also be can this person lead. Trump was just a man baby who would go on twitter rants when things did not go his way or invent baseless conspiracy theories. Made the tea party crackpots seem sane.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married

So your saying a load of cells that have no form that will eventually create a human life can be classed as a human being despite the fact that no human being actually exists at that stage of pregnancy.

You have billions of cells in your body, should we class those as people?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So your saying a load of cells that have no form

The science of evolutionary development shows that the embryo, even when it's a small group of cells, already has developed structure and differentiation that foreshadows development to come. However, for one who has a belief in God, personhood relates to the moment a living soul is given directly by God. So that is an answer that can't be given in terms of biology. I get that absent a belief in God, there is no way to define personhood that stands up to rigorous inspection. Carl Sagan once wrote that at the first trimester, when a functional nervous system was in place, it would be hard to deny that a human being was there. This is a vexing problem, since people don't agree on the very basics.

that will eventually create a human life can be classed as a human being despite the fact that no human being actually exists at that stage of pregnancy.

We have a genetically unique organism at fertilization. So that's not at issue. It's not mom and it's not dad. It's something else.

You have billions of cells in your body, should we class those as people?

None of them are genetically unique individuals. Suppose we could clone humans from one of those cells. When would that be a person? You've just opened another can of worms. It's hard, and I get that. No simple answers, absent faith.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,582.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Food for thought for professing Christians.

8Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. 9Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah.

For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

The word "Hating" in the thread title is inaccurate and unhelpful.
I don't have to hate Donald Trump to know that he is incompetent. He is also the enemy of democracy.

The OP seems to be one or more scriptural quotes, although no citation is given so I can't tell where it is from. In any case, it is irrelevant to the claim made in the OP.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The word "Hating" in the thread title is inaccurate and unhelpful.
I don't have to hate Donald Trump to know that he is incompetent. He is also the enemy of democracy.

A real enemy of democracy would be telling us that it's "terrorism" to encourage people to rally at the nations capitol--as if nobody has ever held rallies in front of the capitol before. MLK and plenty of other black leaders have done it, and it was never considered to be encouraging terrorism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A real enemy of democracy would be telling us that it's "terrorism" to encourage people to rally at the nations capitol--as if nobody has ever held rallies in front of the capitol before. MLK and plenty of other black leaders have done it, and it was never considered to be encouraging terrorism.
Well...to be fair, it doesn't become terrorism until a demonstration swarms the Capitol, trying to stop the election process, kills a cop, defecates in the halls and smears it on the walls and floor, and threatens to hang the vice President because he did what the Constitution had him do. But the speeches and the yelling and sign waving? None of those were terrorism.
tulc(is glad to clear up that)

Reactions: Dale
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,582.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Did MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech result in the death of a policeman and four other people?

The answer is NO.

According to the US Attorney for Washington, D.C., several people arrested for rioting are being charged with firearms offenses. Also:

• << He said one man who was arrested was carrying 11 Molotov cocktails that were "ready to go," as well as a semiautomatic rifle. >>
One of the Trump supporters who stormed the US Capitol was carrying 11 Molotov cocktails and an assault rifle, prosecutors say

Link
One of the Trump supporters who stormed the US Capitol was carrying 11 Molotov cocktails and an assault rifle, prosecutors say

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Did MLK’s “I Have a Dream” speech result in the death of a policeman and four other people?

The answer is NO.

According to the US Attorney for Washington, D.C., several people arrested for rioting are being charged with firearms offenses. Also:

• << He said one man who was arrested was carrying 11 Molotov cocktails that were "ready to go," as well as a semiautomatic rifle. >>

Link

First of all, "inciting violence" or "inciting a riot" doesn't have to result in a riot happening. Trump was blamed for having a rally and telling them to walk down to the capitol. Is walking to the capitol equal to a riot? MLK told his people to do the same thing. The only difference is what some of the people ended up doing. Trump isn't one of those people.

Second, what you cite as people being "armed with" or "carrying" is only referencing what a few people had in their cars, not on their person. Therefore, your citation is misleading.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,582.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all, "inciting violence" or "inciting a riot" doesn't have to result in a riot happening. Trump was blamed for having a rally and telling them to walk down to the capitol. Is walking to the capitol equal to a riot? MLK told his people to do the same thing. The only difference is what some of the people ended up doing. Trump isn't one of those people.

Second, what you cite as people being "armed with" or "carrying" is only referencing what a few people had in their cars, not on their person. Therefore, your citation is misleading.

I don't know how you know that all the weapons were left in cars.

From the same source I linked to above:

"Another person was said to have been arrested with a bulletproof vest, a handgun, a gas mask, a pocketknife, a first-aid kit, military-style rations, and 25 rounds of ammunition."

I'm sure he didn't leave the bulletproof vest in his car.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how you know that all the weapons were left in cars.

From the same source I linked to above:

"Another person was said to have been arrested with a bulletproof vest, a handgun, a gas mask, a pocketknife, a first-aid kit, military-style rations, and 25 rounds of ammunition."

I'm sure he didn't leave the bulletproof vest in his car.

And just imagine the amount of damage he could have done with that vest, that gas mask, those rations, and that first aid kit!

Upvote 0