Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, they're New Democrats. There!, Done! That was easy. Self-explanatory, right?

With all due respect, the onus of proof is not on me.

First of all, the banner itself was not a Christian prayer. It was rather generic. Secondly, hell, sin, prayer, God, and even Jesus are not exclusive to the Christian faith. Muslims believe in all of them. So, your hypothesis is crap.
Sure, because muslims in the US are totally up in arms of this prayer banner being taken down. Please, if an atheist form this school gets death threats and threats of violence I'm sure muslims don't fair much better around there.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is good answer Chaela. Just like you can't take away my right to pray to the flying spaghetti monster. But still, it shouldn't be displayed. Or is it not even Islam. your pick looks likes hindu or something.

And by the way, i don't get your sig. I'm not as familiar with the quran as with the bible. But when a hammer strikes a diamond it will shatter the diamond.
Every time I hear the name "Flying Spaghetti Monster", I get a craving for a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Is that wrong? :pray:

As for the quote in my sig, it's not from the quran, but rather by a spiritual poet named Mirabai who lived back in the 1400-1500s. Given the quality of the particular Diamond involved in her metaphor, there isn't a hammer that wouldn't shatter upon impact with it. Ya gotta love poetic license! ;)

Regarding my current avatar (or any I should have in the future with similar imagery), you can read up on the background of that in my blog here on CF (most recent entry). :)

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Ok, they're New Democrats. There!, Done! That was easy. Self-explanatory, right?

Not done. Now you need to provide some sort of actual evidence, as I have, to support your hypothesis.

With all due respect, the onus of proof is not on me.

My hypothesis doesn't need proof, it needs evidence. And it has it. Your hypothesis is that it is New Democrats, and yes, the onus of proof (read: evidence) is on you for that one.

First of all, the banner itself was not a Christian prayer. It was rather generic.

Oh, please. I mean, I know you really don't want to accept that Christians were threatening a teenaged girl, but that is ridiculous. It was "rather" generic, sure; generically Christian.

Secondly, hell, sin, prayer, God, and even Jesus are not exclusive to the Christian faith. Muslims believe in all of them. So, your hypothesis is crap.

Except none of the people saying those things are Muslim. And Muslims may believe in them, but do not mention them in the same way as Christians do; Muslims would be more likely to talk about Allah and Mohammed than God and Jesus. My hypothesis still stands.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not done. Now you need to provide some sort of actual evidence, as I have, to support your hypothesis.

My hypothesis doesn't need proof, it needs evidence. And it has it. Your hypothesis is that it is New Democrats, and yes, the onus of proof (read: evidence) is on you for that one.

Oh, please. I mean, I know you really don't want to accept that Christians were threatening a teenaged girl, but that is ridiculous. It was "rather" generic, sure; generically Christian.

Except none of the people saying those things are Muslim. And Muslims may believe in them, but do not mention them in the same way as Christians do; Muslims would be more likely to talk about Allah and Mohammed than God and Jesus. My hypothesis still stands.

You can get very similar Christian and Muslim prayers, however. Indeed, the Lord's Prayer is considered to Islam at its purest by many Muslims.

Additionally, a Muslim prayer is very unlikely to mention Muhammad at all. He is not considered divine, just a prophet.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
First of all, the banner itself was not a Christian prayer. It was rather generic. Secondly, hell, sin, prayer, God, and even Jesus are not exclusive to the Christian faith. Muslims believe in all of them. So, your hypothesis is ****.

I am afraid you are mistaken. Moslems do not address God as, 'Our Heaveny Father', nor do they compose extempore prayers of this kind. A Moslem prayer banner would quote directly from the Koran, preferably in Arabic.

The banner uses a distinctly Christian form of address, which therefore identifies the prayer as Christian.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You can get very similar Christian and Muslim prayers, however. Indeed, the Lord's Prayer is considered to Islam at its purest by many Muslims.

Not quite. Moslems would not address Allah as, 'Our Father.' They would regard this as highly presumptuous.

Also, for a Moslem, Islam at its purest is ONLY found in the Koran. The Bible can be good, but it can never have the same status as the Koran.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Additionally, a Muslim prayer is very unlikely to mention Muhammad at all. He is not considered divine, just a prophet.

I didn't mean the prayer mentioning Mohammed, but rather the people posting the threatening comments, if they were Muslim, would mention Mohammed more than Jesus.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

The problem is American Christianity, not Christianity per se. Similar to how Wahhabi rather than Islam is problem in the ME.

American Christianity, with its substitution of "Supply Side Jesus" for the actual Jesus Christ, isn't the only problem. I can't distance myself from this entirely because that sinful nature is within me, also. When the Spirit is moving in me and my heart is glowing, I think of myself as having a little halo above my head. But God knows I'm no saint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So aren't you then saying that those Christians who are effected by/contributed in a major way to this culture were only really nominally Christian to begin with? I don't know what percentages you would put "churchianity" (as others have put it), compared to Christianity, but it's reasonable to assume that that makes up a significant factor in terms of where the American culture comes from. Certainly as much as anyone else.
Active-faith Christians are about a quarter of the US population. That's essentially once-a-week participation in worship, bible reading and praying.
It's not as though we can really blame the culture for why these people fail. Culture isn't something that attacks us from the outside, we make it for ourselves. "Those Christians" contributed to it as much as anyone else. Presumably "Your Kind of Christian" contributed something to it as well. Perhaps they were simply too small in number to factor in enough.
Two things. Yes, you can identify the culture as the cause, because the culture is a group of people, and individuals being raised in that culture don't make the cultural values that are taught to them.

"We" don't make it for ourselves. (Um, who is "we"?)

"Those Christians" are a minority in the culture, as well as not having any particular means through which to speak publicly. The culture discounts and removes religious speech from the public sphere.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Active-faith Christians are about a quarter of the US population. That's essentially once-a-week participation in worship, bible reading and praying.

I'm confused about Active-faith Christian, and how you arrived at the one quarter statistic.

Two things. Yes, you can identify the culture as the cause, because the culture is a group of people, and individuals being raised in that culture don't make the cultural values that are taught to them.

"We" don't make it for ourselves. (Um, who is "we"?)

Then who does? (I mean "we" as those of us living in the culture).

"Those Christians" are a minority in the culture, as well as not having any particular means through which to speak publicly. The culture discounts and removes religious speech from the public sphere.

Then how is culture shaped?

Upvote 0