• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Christians give online threats to High School girl

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Self Improvement, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Self Improvement

Self Improvement Well-Known Member

+70
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Sure, because muslims in the US are totally up in arms of this prayer banner being taken down. Please, if an atheist form this school gets death threats and threats of violence I'm sure muslims don't fair much better around there.

2. RayJeena

RayJeena ☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯ Supporter

+3,420
    United States
    Unorthodox
    Single
    Every time I hear the name "Flying Spaghetti Monster", I get a craving for a heaping plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Is that wrong? :pray:

As for the quote in my sig, it's not from the quran, but rather by a spiritual poet named Mirabai who lived back in the 1400-1500s. Given the quality of the particular Diamond involved in her metaphor, there isn't a hammer that wouldn't shatter upon impact with it. Ya gotta love poetic license! ;)

Regarding my current avatar (or any I should have in the future with similar imagery), you can read up on the background of that in my blog here on CF (most recent entry). :)

3. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+825
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    Not done. Now you need to provide some sort of actual evidence, as I have, to support your hypothesis.

My hypothesis doesn't need proof, it needs evidence. And it has it. Your hypothesis is that it is New Democrats, and yes, the onus of proof (read: evidence) is on you for that one.

Oh, please. I mean, I know you really don't want to accept that Christians were threatening a teenaged girl, but that is ridiculous. It was "rather" generic, sure; generically Christian.

Except none of the people saying those things are Muslim. And Muslims may believe in them, but do not mention them in the same way as Christians do; Muslims would be more likely to talk about Allah and Mohammed than God and Jesus. My hypothesis still stands.

4. AtheistVet

AtheistVet Guest

+0
    Wow that's a pretty desperate defense.

5. Supreme

Supreme British

+444
    Protestant
    Single
    You can get very similar Christian and Muslim prayers, however. Indeed, the Lord's Prayer is considered to Islam at its purest by many Muslims.

Additionally, a Muslim prayer is very unlikely to mention Muhammad at all. He is not considered divine, just a prophet.

6. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,395
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    I am afraid you are mistaken. Moslems do not address God as, 'Our Heaveny Father', nor do they compose extempore prayers of this kind. A Moslem prayer banner would quote directly from the Koran, preferably in Arabic.

The banner uses a distinctly Christian form of address, which therefore identifies the prayer as Christian.

7. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,395
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Not quite. Moslems would not address Allah as, 'Our Father.' They would regard this as highly presumptuous.

Also, for a Moslem, Islam at its purest is ONLY found in the Koran. The Bible can be good, but it can never have the same status as the Koran.

8. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+825
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    I didn't mean the prayer mentioning Mohammed, but rather the people posting the threatening comments, if they were Muslim, would mention Mohammed more than Jesus.

9. Theofane

Theofane Guest

+0
    American Christianity, with its substitution of "Supply Side Jesus" for the actual Jesus Christ, isn't the only problem. I can't distance myself from this entirely because that sinful nature is within me, also. When the Spirit is moving in me and my heart is glowing, I think of myself as having a little halo above my head. But God knows I'm no saint.

10. Theofane

Theofane Guest

+0
    Cyber-bullying is no joke and there is no excuse for it. Having a sinful nature is no excuse for indulging it.

11. heymikey80

heymikey80 Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur

+824
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Active-faith Christians are about a quarter of the US population. That's essentially once-a-week participation in worship, bible reading and praying.
    Two things. Yes, you can identify the culture as the cause, because the culture is a group of people, and individuals being raised in that culture don't make the cultural values that are taught to them.

"We" don't make it for ourselves. (Um, who is "we"?)

"Those Christians" are a minority in the culture, as well as not having any particular means through which to speak publicly. The culture discounts and removes religious speech from the public sphere.

12. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+2,041
    Seeker
    Private
    I'm confused about Active-faith Christian, and how you arrived at the one quarter statistic.

Then who does? (I mean "we" as those of us living in the culture).

Then how is culture shaped?

13. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Crisp and refreshing

+2
    Atheist
    Single
    Our culture is the product of 200 years of Christian and American Exceptionalism.