Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've thought about this since you raised it. I think that up to about 70 years ago, mature Christians taught newer ones how to maintain good boundaries between personal and organisational religion. Religious authorities were more inclined to respect the integrity of members as to how they wanted to participate or not, and to respect the needs of all. Nowadays the ethos is so often, to emotionally blackmail by sentimentality, to impose a legalism and giving "party poopers" their "marching orders" - by saying for example what I've heard:

- We're all different - which means we're all the same and under legalism and not deep enough thinkers to consider your constructive input

(That was when I said don't load the Bible Study table with confectionary called the Rocky Road every single week and constantly distract everyone towards it - to show off how provident you are: I think the only rocky road should be the one under our feet) (and when I wanted to give feedback about bad amplifying)

Well everything has changed. In any case my new bunch that I dared to seek out just in time, are very different. Perhaps the old bunches are now learning rapidly too! If I let them off the hook, I'll be letting myself off the hook too and they will soar.

The downward plunge came about 50 years ago when church authorities decided casualness had to cloak a closed heart.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... It is those outside the body that we are not supposed to judge by Christian standards. This is in 1st Corinthians, or 2nd Corinthians. I forgot which one. Lol

It's a matter of appropriate boundaries. When the world has bad boundaries, we defend the weak verbally because anyone should and most people can't - and especially by our prayers. You are right to raise the distinction otherwise.

Upvote 0

Qwertyui0p

Dec 20, 2019
New South Wales
✟41,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christians are always telling people that it is wrong to criticize the church, and yet they are constantly criticizing the church themselves. They are constantly saying that the church is bowing down to the culture. Of course, I don't see it. I still see Christians protesting against this or that, and they are always talking about how evil certain people are. And now they are saying that the church is starting to bow down to the culture. All I am saying it is confusing.

What is confusing is that they tell us that we are not to criticize other Christians, and yet they do it themselves.

I don't understand that.
That some Christians say something, doesn't mean all Christians would agree. If some Christians say it's wrong to criticize the church, and others say the church is bowing down to culture, then no one is contradicting themself.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That some Christians say something, doesn't mean all Christians would agree. If some Christians say it's wrong to criticize the church, and others say the church is bowing down to culture, then no one is contradicting themself.

Good point

I didn't think about that

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If only there was a way to tell who was right.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Christians are always telling people that it is wrong to criticize the church, and yet they are constantly criticizing the church themselves. They are constantly saying that the church is bowing down to the culture. Of course, I don't see it. I still see Christians protesting against this or that, and they are always talking about how evil certain people are. And now they are saying that the church is starting to bow down to the culture. All I am saying it is confusing.

What is confusing is that they tell us that we are not to criticize other Christians, and yet they do it themselves.

I don't understand that.
Nothing is above criticism--nothing. Especially institutions of political and cultural power.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I don't understand that.
Are you criticising the church? :)

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Are you criticising the church? :)

I am shocked that it took so long for someone to ask that. It's one of those things of your judging the judgmental attitude. LOL

Yes, I was criticizing the church. I criticize and disagree with the church all the time. But I am not claiming that it is wrong to disagree or criticize the church.

So, no, I wasn't criticizing people for criticizing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums