Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Where do you think birthdays originated?
&
Is it wrong for Christians to celebrate it?
Please, explain your view.

Peace.

Birthdays, as far as Western Civilization is concerned, likely originated as celebrations of kings and emperors, such as that of Pharoah or Caesar. Early Christians generally didn't because it wasn't culturally relevant, though the Feast of the Nativity (Christmas) was an exception because it was more about celebrating the Incarnation than celebrating a "birth day".

There is no official Christian position on birthdays, they're cultural in nature and are inherently innocuous.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2011
Babylon
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Birthdays, as far as Western Civilization is concerned, likely originated as celebrations of kings and emperors, such as that of Pharoah or Caesar. Early Christians generally didn't because it wasn't culturally relevant, though the Feast of the Nativity (Christmas) was an exception because it was more about celebrating the Incarnation than celebrating a "birth day".

There is no official Christian position on birthdays, they're cultural in nature and are inherently innocuous.

-CryptoLutheran

How did modern Christians deviate from the early ones? Because they are cultural and conforms to the way of the world why do you feel it's innocent? I thought Christians seek to honor the One God sent, not themselves.
Thanks for your response.

Peace

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

How did modern Christians deviate from the early ones? Because they are cultural and conforms to the way of the world why do you feel it's innocent? I thought Christians seek to honor the One God sent, not themselves.

Peace
Is it really worshipping a person? What is wrong with celebrating the survival of another year.

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:wave::wave:

Hi there!
In this area of america they celebrate the day of someones birth to reconigize it was the day it was they were born! Usually with a gift or to?

I never thought of it as appreciating the person for being born, because actually they had no choice!
What i think would be cool though is we recongize the women that carry them for 9 mths with maybe a phone call and say i just want to say thanks for all you did? Maybe we do it backwards?:p

And of course giving Glory to God above all
In American society, a birthday is an expression of appreciation of the person being honored. It's a good thing.

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2011
Babylon
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's just a celebration. That is ok.

Now if you believe that to be wrong then don't participate in it for your conscience sake.
Why is it ok?
&
Where do you think birthdays came from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2011
Babylon
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
:wave::wave:

Hi there!
In this area of america they celebrate the day of someones birth to reconigize it was the day it was they were born! Usually with a gift or to?

I never thought of it as appreciating the person for being born, because actually they had no choice!
What i think would be cool though is we recongize the women that carry them for 9 mths with maybe a phone call and say i just want to say thanks for all you did? Maybe we do it backwards?:p

And of course giving Glory to God above all

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what happens after birthday stories in the Bible? I agree, we should recognize the 2 that gave us life but be thankful everyday instead of something annually. Backwards, maybe.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,218.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where do you think birthdays originated?
Don't know and don't care. There are many superstitions associated with birthdays but no one really knows where the celebration began. Jews kept track but only celebrated the 13th birthday. (Bar-Mitzvah) There are different views among Rabbis as to if they should be celebrated but many Jews do.
Is it wrong for Christians to celebrate it?
No.

It is a day and nothing in scripture says that we should not celebrate such a grand spiritual event. Life is special and cannot exist without God's blessing.

Superstitions within Christianity should not exist and shows the lack of faith. God has given us life and we should praise his name and celebrate all that he has brought us.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's just a celebration. That is ok.

Now if you believe that to be wrong then don't participate in it for your conscience sake.
I don't.
Never realy liked them though I did realy try. They always seemed unnaturaly contrived & always had predictable downsides that stole my enjoyment of cake, ice cream, & hoopla.

Then one day I read the opening paragraphs in Job & it looked like he was concerned about his kids birthday parties.
So I looked at all the other examples in scripture for positive mentions of birthday parties. No good news for cake & icream devotees or devout hoopla makers there. Not one good birthday party in either testament.
There's a couple in there, but they are not good times rollin'.
An informed conscience is better than a wildly fun or sweetly sentimental party honoring me.
Anyone who wishes to disagree with me in an impressive way should send presents to me, General Delivery Omaha, Nebraska.
Anything you feel you need to write me should be in pencil on the back of a 20 dollar bill.
(I'm not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy;))

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Wiki:"The Romans enthusiastically celebrated birthdays with hedonistic parties and generous presents. In revulsion the early Christians rejected the practice as inherently pagan."
Can't find a reference right now, but I remember at least one source stating it is a practice that grew out of Astrology, the day of birth being so important that horoscopes use the time of birth as a statement aboout the identity of the newborn.

Not knowing or caring about it seems a bit imprudent.

Reactions: eachallberg
Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2011
Babylon
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
...It is a day and nothing in scripture says that we should not celebrate such a grand spiritual event...

That day you call a grand spiritual event, was created by astrologists, aka diviners. -Deuteronomy 18:10

What about Proverbs 25:27?
It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one's own honor.

then Rick Otto posts a gem...
Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,218.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That day you call a grand spiritual event, was created by astrologists, aka diviners.
What did astrologists have to do with me coming out of my mother's womb??????? Birth, is a blessed event. Scripture doesn't say anything against the pagan wise men, who were astrologists, aka diviners, coming to celebrate Jesus' birth.

What about Proverbs 25:27?
It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one's own honor.
What do you think birthdays are about??? Show me scripture which says, "Do not celebrate the birth of your children".

From what we do for birthdays, there is nothing hedonistic about them, so if you know people who throw orgies for their children's birthday, then I'll back you on that instance but there is nothing wrong with baking them a cake and giving them gifts.:doh:

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup maybe ur right but that could be a whole other thread why people would not want to thank their parents everyday for bringing them into this world!

Altho i have noticed that you ask questions you already know the answers too!
;).

Only reason i mention that is i have been trained to listen to the way people ask questions, so wonder why you would do that and not just say theanswer yourself? Maybe a little backwards?:p

God Bless:wave:

A

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Do you know what happens after birthday stories in the Bible? I agree, we should recognize the 2 that gave us life but be thankful everyday instead of something annually. Backwards, maybe.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Sarrapin

Oct 20, 2010
✟15,289.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Single
Momma ejected me out after 9 months.

Nice... :thumbsup:

Explains the first birthday, not sure about the others. :)

Cobweb,
Probably sounds silly to you, but this is the first that I've heard of a "naming day." Hmm, oh well, you learn something new everyday.

Upvote 0