✟7,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hello..

So I live in liberal California, where they basically made weed legal here this last year for recreational and medical purposes. (I know it's been medically legal for a little while here). I know this is a highly debatable topic. We could talk for hours.

My 2 best friends who are both Christians (and don't know each other very well) decided to pick up weed. They both hid it from me at 1st. One of them uses every medical excuse in the book to use it, but I know her so well.. I know a large part of it is her new boyfriend smokes it and she wants to do it too. The other friend is my best friend and roommate. She has been a christian a lot longer. But she has struggled with weed for a while now. She was clean almost 2 years and was so proud of herself. But she picked it back up.

Like I said, I'm not out to start a debate. But I really don't agree with using pot. I fully recognize and realize that in SOME cases it can be a miracle "drug" and help out people who don't have much of a quality of life. But everything in me is not ok with it. I can go on for ages. But mostly, I am worried about my friends. I saw what weed did to the one friend a few years ago and it brought her really deep down into a depression. She was so addicted to it before she could hardly function. She was doing so well! And then boom out of no where. The other friend who this is basically new to, has already shown not so great signs. To be blunt, I feel like legalizing weed made them feel like it was ok now. But I just don't see how God would be ok with it! I should also note that the friend that's the roomie also promised me she just needed a "vacation" and it was only temporary. But it hasn't been temporary at all. (I should also note I am her accountability partner too)

Where I need advice is this: I am struggling. They hide it from me, mostly due to respect, but I'm also not stupid. When it takes them over an hour to get home and they only work 10 min away with traffic. Or I smell it on them Or their cars. I tried being patient and not saying anything. I've tried just pushing away negative thoughts. I've even tried joint around with them about it. I have prayed about it every day and night. But something isn't sitting right with me. I feel so burdened and sad for them. Honestly, it's hard to be around them sometimes because I don't agree with their choices.

How can I still be the best friend I can be to them but still hold them accountable? (They both have said at one point or another that they agree smoking weed is not good). One friend had asked me to help keep her clean, and now she is asking me to just let it slide for a bit. But when I pray, I get a deep sinking feeling and I know something just isn't right. How do I push my feelings aside and keep being friends?

How do I love them without pushing them away?

Please be kind. I know that there might be people here who don't see things they way I do and that's ok. I just want to get over this hump and move on without worrying about my friends. Thank you all in advance!

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF they are causing you to stumble in your walk with Christ then consider:
cd7c6452713e4b2d85f4f873ba29dcd4.jpg

BUT always remember that you are to be LIKE HIM in all that you say and do:
fd63750e6956408d1e5b251c7e036fcb.jpg

Prayers for you sweety I know where you are coming from. Let the Holy Spirit guide you in everything you say and do.

Upvote 0

Rodo7777777

Jun 26, 2017
PNW
✟16,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would just love them, accept them as Jesus accepts you. We get really hung up on "SIN". When in fact Sin is not the issue. God looks at the heart. David sinned and God forgave, Saul sinned and God did not.

I remember when I first met Jesus, I was about 3 months old in the Lord. I ran into this Christian Brother, named Tommy.

We were talking on the sidewalk, and another brother joined us. He said "Tommy I just cant stop smoking"... Tommy hugged him, and you could just feel the love of Jesus, coming from Tommy for this brother.

All of a sudden I hear Tommy say "Brother when Jesus is ready for you to stop smoking, you will".

I didn't say a thing, but in my immature mind I was saying "Jesus is already ready, for the scriptures say not to do anything to defile your body"

A few days passed, and that brother ran up to me and Tommy again, he was so happy. He said I'm free, Jesus made me free I haven't smoked in 3 days".

So just relax, concentrate on your walk with Jesus, trust Him completely to take care of all your troubles and theirs and He will.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

With love and compassion, I would offer them to study the bible with you. Christians should be doing this anyway for themselves to be ready "in season and out" 2 Timothy 4:1-2. Study topics that refute that lifestyle. Come up with questions related to the verses refuting that lifestyle (Socratic Method).

If they are hiding it even though it is legal, it is cause they know deep down its wrong. Let them know that you know and ask why they hide it.

Maybe apply Matthew 18:15-17 since you say they consider themselves Christian.

Maybe mention the parables that tell about "bearing good fruit" vs those who produce "bad fruit". This will show them, if they understand, their actions are not of Christian conduct and is quite serious to their salvation. We will be judged by our actions in this life is what Jesus says.

Study the bible and see to the bible for what you can do. If you need direction don't hesitate. The bible is our instruction manual on how to conduct oursleves, as christians.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've been smoking cannabis since I was 14.

My smoking habit is sin.

It is in addiction.

God is working on me.

Is cannabis sin?

Is wine sin?

What do we use it for? The motive of the heart.

For me, cannabis has been in many reasoning's.

As has wine.

The consequences of use are different in my experience.

And I no longer drink apart from the occasional "very occasional, 1 shot brandy in, 1 1/2 years" fleshly weak moment as I struggling to surrender to God, seeking relief.

Do I want to use cannabis like I do? No.

Upvote 0

Rodo7777777

Jun 26, 2017
PNW
✟16,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

With love and compassion, I would offer them to study the bible with you. Christians should be doing this anyway for themselves to be ready "in season and out" 2 Timothy 4:1-2. Study topics that refute that lifestyle. Come up with questions related to the verses refuting that lifestyle (Socratic Method).

If they are hiding it even though it is legal, it is cause they know deep down its wrong. Let them know that you know and ask why they hide it.

Maybe apply Matthew 18:15-17 since you say they consider themselves Christian.

Maybe mention the parables that tell about "bearing good fruit" vs those who produce "bad fruit". This will show them, if they understand, their actions are not of Christian conduct and is quite serious to their salvation. We will be judged by our actions in this life is what Jesus says.

Study the bible and see to the bible for what you can do. If you need direction don't hesitate. The bible is our instruction manual on how to conduct oursleves, as christians.

Not sure the bible can help them, BUT Jesus sure can help them, maybe Jesus will use the bible to help them, and maybe not. I saw lots of people instantly free from heroin addiction in the 70's during the Jesus movement, no withdrawal, no pain, no bible, but we prayed.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure the bible can help them, BUT Jesus sure can help them, maybe Jesus will use the bible to help them, and maybe not. I saw lots of people instantly free from heroin addiction in the 70's during the Jesus movement, no withdrawal, no pain, no bible, but we prayed.

The bible is the word of God, it sure can help. John 1:1. It has the testimony of Jesus stating what we must do.

have a good night I got to go for now.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟130,897.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I also have bad habits with coffee and bad foods along with cannabis and tobacco.

I sit here typing convicted.

I have a nicotine patch on and am trying to reduce my use of cannabis and quit tobacco and then nicotine.

My body feels yuk from the food, and heavy by smoking.

Sluggish and weak by not moving much too.

I've reduced coffee use, as the consequences were terrible on my body.

I developed very bad habits after a traumatic experience a year ago.

A way of coping with the overload of emotional pain of that time.

Its now time to clean up and be serious about it, I'm tired of taking His amazing grace for granted as He is always working in me sanctifying, and His Gift the Holy Spirit, rightfully deserves a clean temple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would smoking weed be any different than gorging yourself on fast food? Both over time will harm the body, possibly the food being the quickest route to death. What about soda, which is one of the most dangerous things anyone can consume.

God knows the heart, period. If by smoking weed it causes someone to fall away from God then yes, that's probably not something you should do. The same with alcohol. Just because weed is illegal in some states well, that's man's law, not God's law. I'd rather trust in God's laws and nowhere in the Bible does it mention weed.

Weed is a natural plant, created by God. Am I right? So are grapes that are made into wine.

I've smoked weed before and didn't find it to be a big deal. It never made me stray from God. In fact, it made me find peace and come closer to God. But that was me and everyone is different.

The only issue I see is that our bodies belong to God and they are His temple. So by harming our bodies with junk food, too much alcohol, weed, cigarettes, soda pop, etc...etc...that would be more of a reason not to smoke it than anything else.

Look, there's lots of dumb laws in this world created by man which don't necessarily mean God agrees with them.

I don't know, this is a difficult subject for a lot of people but I don't think weed is any more harmful than a lot of other vices people use on a daily basis. For me, it's about the heart and our walk in faith.

If I'm wrong with all this I'm all ears because I had the same question in my mind for a long time.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Jesus is the word of God. See John and Revelation.

The bible was given to us by God. It is God breathed, God inspired, therefore totally necessary to study. How else would you know to become a Christian? It would be impossible. What are you just going to bob your head and listen to what people say without fact checking them? The bible tells us to "test the spirits", "be ready in season and out", and "test all things". That way you don't fall prey to false doctrines.

2 Peter 1:20-21 = Seems to show you that the scriptures are indeed from our Lord.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 = See this? "All scripture...by inspiration of God...profitable for doctrine...reproof...correction...instruction...that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work..."

Therefore if they are from Lord, then we must obey what is in them. If you do not obey what is in scripture, then do you really love your Lord and Savior? John 14:15 and John 15:14.

How do you deny that the bible is necessary and important? I am interested in hearing what you have to say after scripture like this.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And concerning your video. I am assuming Jesus drank A LOT of Wine, and they called him names for doing so....Yet he was without sin. I am positive Jesus's heart was right with the father.

On a side note from our other discussion:

Assume no longer my friend and know what scripture says in context.

Jesus is perfect and without sin right?

Would Jesus cause you to sin or stumble?

Do you know Jewish laws and customs, even just a little bit?

Lets take John 2 as an example. This is one people love to infuse "alcoholic" to the label of this party. In fact, this is nothing more then just plain and simple grape juice.

If you take Jewish laws and customs into account, they had an overseer to the marriage party of John 2. This mans duty was to ensure there was no alcohol, that things ran according to their customs, and that it runs smoothly according to their laws (John 2:8-9). The ruler of the feast was their to make sure they didn't have alcohol in their beverage, as you see that he tasted it, putting it to the test.

Do you give your customers juice that has sat on the shelf for 6 months or do you give them the freshest possible?

This is what the ruler of the feast is implying, they bring the best out first not last, when everyone is already full.

If you wish to say that this is wine (alcoholic), then Jesus would be contributing to a bunch of drunkards causing people to sin. When one is drunk, you and I know full well what those people do. Therefore Jesus would be sinning, causing others to sin.

However, it is not the case. This is just merely grape juice.

Greek words:
oinos = This is a generic Greek word that could mean either grape juice, grapes themselves, or alcoholic grape juice.

So because it is a generic term that could be used for either, it is about the context of the statements made and what you know about Jesus, God, and what God considers sinning and disobeying. Clearly the bible talks about drunkenness as a sin right? Therefore, in John 2, if Jesus made alcoholic wine, he would have been causing others to sin in drunkenness.

This isn't the case though. We know Jesus is perfect, we know he has no sin in Him, we know that He wouldn't tempt us or cause us to sin. Instructors and history buffs can tell you that Jewish customs would not permit alcoholic wine into this setting. Therefore just by this example alone, even if Jesus wasn't there, we can still know that this is not alcoholic wine.

It is all about context too. Notice the bible uses oinos (greek word) in a positive way referring to non alcoholic juice. The bible uses it in a negative sense to refer to the alcoholic juice.

Here is also a thought for you.

If you drink one beer, you are one drink drunk. Even though you do not feel any effects, you are still that one drink drunk.

Does God approve of drunkenness, one drink drunk?

Upvote 0

Rodo7777777

Jun 26, 2017
PNW
✟16,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On a side note from our other discussion:

Assume no longer my friend and know what scripture says in context.

Jesus is perfect and without sin right?

Would Jesus cause you to sin or stumble?

Do you know Jewish laws and customs, even just a little bit?

Lets take John 2 as an example. This is one people love to infuse "alcoholic" to the label of this party. In fact, this is nothing more then just plain and simple grape juice.

If you take Jewish laws and customs into account, they had an overseer to the marriage party of John 2. This mans duty was to ensure there was no alcohol, that things ran according to their customs, and that it runs smoothly according to their laws (John 2:8-9). The ruler of the feast was their to make sure they didn't have alcohol in their beverage, as you see that he tasted it, putting it to the test.

Do you give your customers juice that has sat on the shelf for 6 months or do you give them the freshest possible?

This is what the ruler of the feast is implying, they bring the best out first not last, when everyone is already full.

If you wish to say that this is wine (alcoholic), then Jesus would be contributing to a bunch of drunkards causing people to sin. When one is drunk, you and I know full well what those people do. Therefore Jesus would be sinning, causing others to sin.

However, it is not the case. This is just merely grape juice.

Greek words:
oinos = This is a generic Greek word that could mean either grape juice, grapes themselves, or alcoholic grape juice.

So because it is a generic term that could be used for either, it is about the context of the statements made and what you know about Jesus, God, and what God considers sinning and disobeying. Clearly the bible talks about drunkenness as a sin right? Therefore, in John 2, if Jesus made alcoholic wine, he would have been causing others to sin in drunkenness.

This isn't the case though. We know Jesus is perfect, we know he has no sin in Him, we know that He wouldn't tempt us or cause us to sin. Instructors and history buffs can tell you that Jewish customs would not permit alcoholic wine into this setting. Therefore just by this example alone, even if Jesus wasn't there, we can still know that this is not alcoholic wine.

It is all about context too. Notice the bible uses oinos (greek word) in a positive way referring to non alcoholic juice. The bible uses it in a negative sense to refer to the alcoholic juice.

Here is also a thought for you.

If you drink one beer, you are one drink drunk. Even though you do not feel any effects, you are still that one drink drunk.

Does God approve of drunkenness, one drink drunk?

brother (may I call you brother) You are wrong, you have to see further down the road, and not just look at the surface, because of your comfort zone. I find nothing wrong with Jesus drinking, I don't care how much he may have drank, I would love Him, and still call Him savior.

but let me state my case in contrast to yours…

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a WINEBIBBER, a friend of publicans and sinners".

"The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and ye say, Lo, a man, a glutton, and a wine drinker, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners;"

The terms for "wine" in the Bible "MAY" sometimes refer to diluted wine, it can also refer to wine that has a high alcohol content.

To insist that Jesus drank nothing more than grape juice, diluted wine, i.e. purified water. Is unlikely considering the wine that John was commanded to not consume had to have had an alcohol content, or the command would make no sense.

Remember that the angel Gabriel commanded no "strong drink [sikera]", Hebrew noun sekar, which means an intoxicating beverage, (Num. 6:3; Deut. 14:26; 29:5

Plus, without alcohol the Pharisees' accusation would also make no sense! What would be morally wrong with drinking diluted wine, or grape juice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a WINEBIBBER, a friend of publicans and sinners".

Plus, without alcohol the Pharisees' accusation would also make no sense! What would be morally wrong with drinking diluted wine, or grape juice?
Hello again and good day,

It does make sense if you think that they intended to insult someone. If someone were to call me white hillbilly trash, does that make it true? No. For one, I don't make moonshine, two, I live in a suburb, three, my hygiene is actually pretty good contrary to the person calling me this name.

It makes total sense since they intended to insult or inflame a persons reputation. Which was the case you see here.

Is unlikely considering the wine that John was commanded to not consume had to have had an alcohol content, or the command would make no sense.

Like I said, the Greek word Oinos is a general word that could describe both non alcoholic and alcoholic. It is the context that matters, and the knowledge of what you read in the gospel.

I hope all is well and good, thank you for your time my friend.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd be more worried about lung damage from smoking cannabis, than whether the act or desire to experience the effects of the drug is sinful.

Also, how do you know the cannabis use is causing depression? You aren't a clinician. Seeing a change in behavior could just be them being less stressed-out, which is not a bad thing. Don't see sin where there is none. I'm not saying you are, but that's just my cautionary advice.

Moral panic over substance use is very old in Christian circles and its got a sordid history with Prohibition, a failed movement that lead to a weakening of respect for evangelical Christianity. My church's teachings are clear, alcohol is not a sin in itself, even though it's mind altering. So I don't see how cannabis use could be a sin, not unless it causes us to neglect the other duties in our life or seriously endanger ones health or the health of others.

Upvote 0