London, UK
✟821,664.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a British man living in Germany I have often found myself defending Trump in conversation from a distorted media impression given here about him. But he did make a reasonable Supreme Court Judge decision with Kavanaugh and he seems to have been more positive towards Christians in the USA and internationally also. The man has clear character flaws though which many Europeans love to fasten onto. He is a serial adulterer and has clearly lied on several occasions about major things. He does seem to be a bit of narcissist also and his views on Mexicans are borderline racist. How should Christians hold the tension of his personal life and the good things he sometimes does in balance?

In our bible group on Wednesday we got to discussing the difference between Martin Luther and Trump. Both men were demagogues who knew how to connect to people. Both were criticised by existing institutions that felt threatened by the power these men exercise over the mob (by their populism). But the key difference was not their horizontal appeal but rather their vertical integration and depth. Trump has clearly not translated the bible from original manuscripts and spent years working on discerning its meaning. He lacks the substance that characterises the truly devout and his policies while sometimes good have the impression of floating apart from any coherent personal narrative or agenda or beliefs. Indeed would probably not be able to engage in a discussion with a man like Luther to any meaningful depth.

Should it matter to Christians that Trump seems to lack any kind of Christian depth or understanding? Or is it enough that he does things that on the Christian wish list like destroying ISIS, appointing reasonable Supreme Court justices and saying Happy Christmas rather than Happy Holidays?

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a British man living in Germany I have often found myself defending Trump in conversation from a distorted media impression given here about him. But he did make a reasonable Supreme Court Judge decision with Kavanaugh and he seems to have been more positive towards Christians in the USA and internationally also. The man has clear character flaws though which many Europeans love to fasten onto. He is a serial adulterer and has clearly lied on several occasions about major things. He does seem to be a bit of narcissist also and his views on Mexicans are borderline racist. How should Christians hold the tension of his personal life and the good things he sometimes does in balance?

In our bible group on Wednesday we got to discussing the difference between Martin Luther and Trump. Both men were demagogues who knew how to connect to people. Both were criticised by existing institutions that felt threatened by the power these men exercise over the mob (by their populism). But the key difference was not their horizontal appeal but rather their vertical integration and depth. Trump has clearly not translated the bible from original manuscripts and spent years working on discerning its meaning. He lacks the substance that characterises the truly devout and his policies while sometimes good have the impression of floating apart from any coherent personal narrative or agenda or beliefs. Indeed would probably not be able to engage in a discussion with a man like Luther to any meaningful depth.

Should it matter to Christians that Trump seems to lack any kind of Christian depth or understanding? Or is it enough that he does things that on the Christian wish list like destroying ISIS, appointing reasonable Supreme Court justices and saying Happy Christmas rather than Happy Holidays?

If Donald Trump even pretends to be a Christian, I haven't heard of it.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It would be better if they would acknowledge the leaven they've seen in him and others. None of these people are Christ-like and no endorsement or political spin will make me believe it. Therefore, I assume many are influenced by policies or the lesser of two evils.

I voted for Trump. The concept of Hillary is more than my brain could stand. But that doesn't mean I've buried my head in the sand or I'm going to spend hours trading barbs defending them. I consider them in light of my purpose and the candidate that will be more favorable for what I'm pursuing. That's it in the nutshell.

The whole debacle reminds me of Richard Hatch from the first season of Survivor. Everyone was there for the same thing. But they were swept up in his antics. Politics is a sideshow. People get caught up in the slogans and forget the bottom line in all of this.

Many years ago I heard something that stuck with me. A speaker reminded us that the game has existed before the beginning of time. You can't change the game. Your options are to play the game or get out. A lot of people think things have changed. It's just another hand.

I don't worry about the president. I worry about my hand and the next move and the one that follows. It's the end of the road I'm interested in. That's what matters most.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,664.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be better if they would acknowledge the leaven they've seen in him and others. None of these people are Christ-like and no endorsement or political spin will make me believe it. Therefore, I assume many are influenced by policies or the lesser of two evils.

I voted for Trump. The concept of Hillary is more than my brain could stand. But that doesn't mean I've buried my head in the sand or I'm going to spend hours trading barbs defending them. I consider them in light of my purpose and the candidate that will be more favorable for what I'm pursuing. That's it in the nutshell.

The whole debacle reminds me of Richard Hatch from the first season of Survivor. Everyone was there for the same thing. But they were swept up in his antics. Politics is a sideshow. People get caught up in the slogans and forget the bottom line in all of this.

Many years ago I heard something that stuck with me. A speaker reminded us that the game has existed before the beginning of time. You can't change the game. Your options are to play the game or get out. A lot of people think things have changed. It's just another hand.

I don't worry about the president. I worry about my hand and the next move and the one that follows. It's the end of the road I'm interested in. That's what matters most.

Interesting perspective and thanks for sharing we are engaged in global culture war that is as old as time itself and sometimes you just have to pick a side according to what you want to see happen. I agree that the next election in many ways is more crucial than what is going on now. Trump has changed the game and blown apart a lot of the old conventions. American politics is more partisan than ever and the fear of an extreme reaction to Trump giving an overwhelming victory to people with an antichristian agenda is not a delusional one.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I might support Trump often but you need to criticize someone when he is doing something wrong.
Nevertheless, I heard some complainings about him that are just absurd like giving Mc'Donalds to the football team. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm watching from a distance too. I think Christians should think tactically and vote on policy. Democrats and some RINOs hold policies that are against Judeo-Christian values. You only have to look at the attack on social/family values and abortion. Trump gets Christians in the white house to pray for him, what did Obama do?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a British man living in Germany I have often found myself defending Trump in conversation from a distorted media impression given here about him. But he did make a reasonable Supreme Court Judge decision with Kavanaugh and he seems to have been more positive towards Christians in the USA and internationally also. The man has clear character flaws though which many Europeans love to fasten onto.
That's because the mainstream media is against Trump.
People only know him by what the mainstream media hurls out.
He is a serial adulterer and has clearly lied on several occasions about major things. He does seem to be a bit of narcissist also and his views on Mexicans are borderline racist. How should Christians hold the tension of his personal life and the good things he sometimes does in balance?
This sounds like how the media portrays him.
His views on Mexicans has nothing to do with race.
Yes, he's negative about who and what crosses the border illegally, which happens to be the Mexican border.

I think he has changed his ways.
No longer an adulterer.

Not saying he's a saint now, obviously.

Compared to previous presidents he's very Christian.
He's not a spiritual leader though, but that's not his job.
He is getting rid of the satanic elite cabal though.
The effect is worldwide.
People are waking up, albeit slower than i hoped, to the grim reality of the matter behind the curtains.
I doubt there would be yellow vests if it wasn't for Trump and Q.
America is taking the lead in getting rid of the globalist cabal.

More will come to the surface.
Will take time though.

To me it seems to be God's Grace, because there are relatively many Christians in the USA, to provide the USA with a leader who is on God's side rather than on the globalist side.

It's also about the children.
Child trafficking and pedophilia and worse are a thing among the rich, powerful and famous.
It has to stop.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How should Christians hold the tension of his personal life and the good things he sometimes does in balance?
If in fact they are Christians they should hold that tension by failing to judge him based on what the media has to say. That after all would be consistent with Christian doctrine and values.

Upvote 0

Varangian Christian

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's because the mainstream media is against Trump.
People only know him by what the mainstream media hurls out.This sounds like how the media portrays him.
His views on Mexicans has nothing to do with race.
Yes, he's negative about who and what crosses the border illegally, which happens to be the Mexican border.

I think he has changed his ways.
No longer an adulterer.

Not saying he's a saint now, obviously.
Compared to previous presidents he's very Christian.
He's not a spiritual leader though, but that's not his job.
He is getting rid of the satanic elite cabal though.
The effect is worldwide.
People are waking up, albeit slower than i hoped, to the grim reality of the matter behind the curtains.
I doubt there would be yellow vests if it wasn't for Trump and Q.
America is taking the lead in getting rid of the globalist cabal.

More will come to the surface.
Will take time though.

To me it seems to be God's Grace, because there are relatively many Christians in the USA, to provide the USA with a leader who is on God's side rather than on the globalist side.

It's also about the children.
Child trafficking and pedophilia and worse are a thing among the rich, powerful and famous.
It has to stop.

:amen:

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I suppose Christians who voted for Trump did so for a variety of reasons....not just because of a Christian issue but because his message resonated with them as in bringing the jobs back to America. Many voted him for the idea of filling the courts with conservative type judges. Looking at the scriptures I see what I think the biggest reason should be.....he was the closed candidate who had to the position of holding the policy which is most important to God and the mandate for his church....to protect religious liberty and not hinder the gospel or word of God going forth. 2 Thess 3:1 says the one thing we should pray for is that,

Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:

Trump has rough edges...that's not the point. Trump it could be said doesn't speak with much diplomacy....that's not the point. Trump wants to make America great again and bring back the jobs....that's not the point. Trump may have had a past checkered with questionable type morality....that's not the point. The point is if you have a national leader who does his best regardless even of his motives for doing so to insure the body of Christ can function with the gospel, the words of life, and have free course to do so then the mandate of the body of Christ can more adequately be achieved.

If the word of God has free course and is not hindered by ungodly men, and always remember some of the nicest polite talkers can be ungodly who are in war with God...they resist him and along with Satan want to stop and hinder LIFE from going forth.....well it shows where one's vote should go.

As a Christian I'd say Trump has been a champion in his support for God's basic agenda, and I'm not even talking about morality things BUT that the gospel can go forth. It hasn't been just talk either. He has sought to deliver. I believe God put Trump in power. No he's not a perfect person, none of us are BUT he has a heart to do right for God in his message.

The interesting thing to me is what will happen in 2020. He has really been on a roller coaster ride and I'm not sure he ever thought it would be the way it's been. Assuming he runs again and if he did indeed win to me it'd almost be like the miracle of the Red Sea splitting. The opposition that he deals with is quite extraordinary and if he won again surely people would have to acknowledge it was God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Let me put it this way. I didn't vote for Trump because he is a Christian as I believe he is not a Christian so I don't expect him to be devout and have Christian values. However his overall values are more in line with mine as opposed to Hillary Clinton. For example he is against abortion whereas Hillary favors abortion.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It confuses me.

From some of the posts here, it seems that Christianity is being reduced to stopping people you're never going to meet from getting married. Even as a non-believer I know it involves a bit more than that, but you wouldn't know it from some of what I'm reading.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

As a Christian, I was voting for a leader, not a pastor. I had no expectations of perceived moral superiority or of biblical scholarship. What I did get was the unusual phenomenon of an elected leader who actually started doing the things he promised during the campaign. An extraordinarily rare thing to witness.

During that election cycle, I was a delegate at the Texas Republican State Convention. At that time, Senator Cruz from Texas was still a viable option as the final candidate, but what surprised me was the strong foothold of support Trump had even then among the delegates. Heading into the general election, it was hard to miss Trump filling stadiums of people wherever he traveled, and Clinton had rather meager followings. I recall telling people that I thought Trump would pull out an upset victory, only to be told I was nuts, but I was right.

As a Christian who believes we are wrapping up this age, it was clear to me almost immediately after the election when all the staged protests began, that Trump was being used by God as a catalyst to ramp up the globalist efforts and accelerate their plans which are necessary for the for the AC to control. After two years of seeing the unbridled hatred and opposition of the man at such a fevered pitch, I have to also conclude that much of opposition may be demonically inspired. I think in Trump we are witnessing both a natural and supernatural battle, and since we know we are destined to come under a global government at some point, that likely means at some point Trump will fail and evil will win, for a short time.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have many good friends , who are devoted , born-again Christian. Their life is exemplary of how a Christian should live their life. Yet, they voted for President Trump. WHY ?

In US , Christian put the issue of Abortion as the #1 issue . Many thinks this issue can’t be compromised and anyone who would be anti-abortion is worthy to be supported no matter what. That is why so many Christian would put their heads down and support any republican who is Pro-Life.

We had republican politician and president who had other flows and who’s Christian faith was questionable , but none compare to president Trump’s.

Problem with evangelicals is that , they don’t say “ I am supporting president Trump because of pro-life, and that’s that”. They try to justify most of his other character or policy and that is when Christians show rest of the world how hypocrite they are. They try to justify his sexual misconduct , racism, vulgarity and we can keep going. When none Christians see how Christians justify President Trumps flaws they don’t see why a evangelical supporting Trump (Pro-life policy), they see “ Christianity is ok with sexual misconduct , racism, greed, …… and more”

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm kind of glad of the support Trump got and continues to get. Confirmed my inkling about the group.
Indeed. It's good to keep tabs on the people willing to trade their values for political gain.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
After reading so many reply from Christians who voted for President Trump. I am speechless. Only thing I can add is a Bible verse

“For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” Mark 8:36

Upvote 0