Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I didn't vote in your poll since it does not make sense.

Two points of view, can anyone explain?
There are no points of view that are represented in your poll.

1) What makes it possible for a Christian to sin?
The flesh.

2) What makes it possible for a Christian to not sin?
The Spirit.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Everyone sins. If we didn't, we wouldn't have needed a Savior. What's more, the Bible teaches it to us as, for example, in the verse that says that the just man falls seven times a day--and that's the "just" man!

The problem is that a lot of people instinctively think that sin is doing something horrible, like murder or thievery or adultery. So they think that everyday meanness or envy or the like doesn't count as sin. It does. Sin is the falling short of God's standards.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't vote in your poll since it does not make sense.

There are no points of view that are represented in your poll.

The flesh.

The Spirit.

Although you you don't have a point of view, you just gave two answers to the two questions, doesn't that constitute a point of view?

Your belief on whether or not a Christian can sin, is in itself a point of view, go ahead and vote, you do have an opinion don't you?

Be Blessed

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Can" a christian sin? Absolutely.
"May" a Christian sin? Absolutely...free will
"Should" a Christian sin? No.

Can a christian not sin? No.
May a Christian not sin? Of course, I think that would be fine with God...permission granted. :)
Should a Christian not sin. Yes.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2) What makes it possible for a Christian to not sin?

I believe God makes it possible. And I have understood that sin is really that person rejects God. If you don’t reject God in any case, you have no sin.

… Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jiminz,
I voted not sin.

I was taught 'In a Christian the flesh can sin but the spirit cannot.

Hi Saint Beloved

I would put it this way.
A person can sin, because they are in the Flesh.
A Christian cannot sin, because they are in the Spirit.

The light doesn't recognize the acts of darkness because they're not the spirit's actions.

While what you have said sounds good and makes sense, it is sort of nebulous, I don't believe there is any teaching from the Epistles which say that, it's alluded to, as a simplification of understanding.

Both light and dark battle till bodily death when spirit wins over flesh and light wins over darkness forever'.

Again, while what you say sounds good, and true, it misses the point.

The battle which took place was in the body of Jesus Christ, He overcame not only Darkness, but Death and the Flesh.

1. What makes it possible for a Christian to sin?
The Christian is still on earth in a fallen body that needs to die and decay it's filled with darkness.

True the Christian is still in the BODY, but the body is not "The Flesh" it is not the body which sins it is the Flesh, the inner man...Therefore.

Rom. 8:3
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, (CONDEMNED SIN IN THE FLESH):

Gal. 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and (THE LIFE WHICH I NOW LIVE IN THE FLESH I LIVE BY THE FAITH OF THE SON OF GOD), who loved me, and gave himself for me.

2. What makes it possible for a Christian not to sin?
Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit filling the Christian with light and perfection which has no part in sin.

Rom. 6:10,11
10) (FOR IN THAT HE DIED, HE DIED UNTO SIN ONCE): but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) (LIKEWISE RECKON YE YOURSELVES DEAD INDEED UNTO SIN), but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom. 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become (DEAD TO THE LAW) by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Rom. 6:2
God forbid. How shall we, that are (DEAD TO SIN), live any longer therein?

Rom. 8:10
And if Christ be in you, (THE BODY IS DEAD) because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Gal. 5:24
And they that are Christ's have (CRUCIFIED THE FLESH) with the affections and lusts.
So you see, the Christian is.
1) Dead to the Law
2) Dead to Sin
3) Dead to the Flesh

It's always a good thing to know exactly where you stand "IN CHRIST" that way you cannot be deceived.

Be Blessed

• Informative
Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I believe God makes it possible. And I have understood that sin is really that person rejects God. If you don’t reject God in any case, you have no sin.

… Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Kind of simplified, but I can accept that.

Be Blessed

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If I may, what exactly are you getting at? I smell a hint of OSAS, but maybe that's coming from another thread.

That's pretty cynical, not everyone has an agenda, I think there are to many labels thrown around, were Christians, don't you think we should act like Christians, without our resorting to labels, that's what the world does to make people who don't share their beliefs, become insignificant.

If you call yourself a Christian you are my brother, I am supposed to love you even if I disagree with you.
But by placing labels on people, we deem them inferior, let's try some Love in the spirit of meekness.
Paul said it like this.
1Cor. 4:21
What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

Considering all of the discussions I've seen on sin, I felt it was a fairly good question, it's very straight forward.

I though it would be a good way for people to voice their Beliefs without all of the discussion and controversy over their particular Doctrines.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Can" a christian sin? Absolutely.
"May" a Christian sin? Absolutely...free will
"Should" a Christian sin? No.

Can a christian not sin? No.
May a Christian not sin? Of course, I think that would be fine with God...permission granted. :)
Should a Christian not sin. Yes.

That's fairly bold.

Is it possible to back up those beliefs with some scriptures.

A little verification goes a long way.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's fairly bold.

Is it possible to back up those beliefs with some scriptures.

A little verification goes a long way.

Be Blessed

Derived fiorm pure common sense logic....something that I all too often don't find backed up because there was no need for scripture to do so, for the reason mentioned.

But if there is one or more you disagree with, please explain, and I'll back it up that way.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's pretty cynical, not everyone has an agenda, I think there are to many labels thrown around, were Christians, don't you think we should act like Christians, without our resorting to labels, that's what the world does to make people who don't share their beliefs, become insignificant.

If you call yourself a Christian you are my brother, I am supposed to love you even if I disagree with you.
But by placing labels on people, we deem them inferior, let's try some Love in the spirit of meekness.
Paul said it like this.
1Cor. 4:21
What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

Considering all of the discussions I've seen on sin, I felt it was a fairly good question, it's very straight forward.

I though it would be a good way for people to voice their Beliefs without all of the discussion and controversy over their particular Doctrines.

Be Blessed

you jumped the gun there, no label was placed, this is why we ask questions, to clear things up. I asked a question, and was even clear I gave benefit of doubt.

You didn't need all that, just don't answer the question if you choose not to.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Everyone sins. If we didn't, we wouldn't have needed a Savior.

That's true, Paul says.

Rom. 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

But Paul is clearly speaking of people who have not received Salvation as of yet, not Christians.

What's more, the Bible teaches it to us as, for example, in the verse that says that the just man falls seven times a day--and that's the "just" man!

That's true as well, but when Proverbs was written, the Truths which Solomon was speaking, Salvation as we know it to be in Jesus Christ was not yet available, so we really cannot apply that verse to Christians falling, as it would pertain to Sinning, and getting ack up again seven times.

The problem is that a lot of people instinctively think that sin is doing something horrible, like murder or thievery or adultery. So they think that everyday meanness or envy or the like doesn't count as sin. It does. Sin is the falling short of God's standards.

People might instinctively think that, but are we applying that belief to the Christian?

Be Blessed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Derived fiorm pure common sense logic....something that I all too often don't find backed up because there was no need for scripture to do so, for the reason mentioned.

But if there is one or more you disagree with, please explain, and I'll back it up that way.

My beliefs are not based in pure common sense logic, I place my beliefs in what the Bible says.
My foundation is Jesus Christ.

I don't play that game, if you have something to share, your more than welcome to.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
you jumped the gun there, no label was placed, this is why we ask questions, to clear things up. I asked a question, and was even clear I gave benefit of doubt.

You didn't need all that, just don't answer the question if you choose not to.

The OSAS sounded like the accusation I have seen on Christian forums for years.

I don't think I misread it.

Like I said not everyone has an agenda, and the questions were pretty straight forward.

If you can't back up your statements of belief that's cool.... don't.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OSAS sounded like the accusation I have seen on Christian forums for years.

I don't think I misread it.

Be Blessed

If you can't see it was a question, you choose not to...up to you. It's all right there in B&W

I don't play that game, if you have something to share, your more than welcome to.

No game, I shared, you contested what I shared, and gave no reason why...I simply offered you that opportunity. I'll just assume you had no good reason to contest, and leave it at that.

Upvote 0