one 4 Christ

True happiness is serving The Lord!
Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I have been a Christian now for 6 years. Ever since the day I excepted Christ, I am ALWAYS DELIGHTED to talk about Christ! Every day that goes by I want to do more and more for Him. (I have my share of "Why me Lord" days)
My roommate on the other hand is different. She excepted Christ only one year ago. She seems not to light up like others who are beleivers. Just this past weekend my roommate and I went over to a friends house & my freind and I got into a WONDERFUL conversation about Jesus. My roommate just sat there, looking out the window with a "bored look" on her face. I am worried. When I was her age (Christianity years) I was so excited to talk ANYTHING about the Lord.
Should I worry about her faith? I know that I am A LOT more faithful then her. She just seems to not give her worries to the Lord. She does talk about Jesus but does NOT light up like me and some others that I have talked with. Honestly, I am very scared that she excepted Christ just so I am happy....I HAVE NEVER PRESSURED HER TO EXCEPTING CHRIST, Just only told her the TRUTH when she asked.
Please help:help:, I am beginning to wonder:sigh: .....

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some people aren't emotional about it. I became a Christian a year ago, and just last night I had a discussion with my husband about this. I hear people saying things like you did in your post, about how excited and moved you are, how you light up, etc., and to be perfectly honest it makes me feel like I'm inadequate as a Christian, or not being a good, or true, Christian.

But the truth of the matter is that some people just don't get emotional about it. I was very glad that I accepted Jesus when I did, and I still am. But I'm not a cheerleader about it. I'm happy to talk about Jesus with people, and I often do, especially on forums like this one. But I wouldn't say I light up over it. For some of us, it's a comfort issue, something that gives us internal peace and fulfillment, but it's more of a private thing. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with our salvation.

My husband and I attended an all-day friendship evangelism class on Saturday, and near the end of the session the instructor was talking about this issue as well. He also said that some people are going to be so filled with joy when they accept Jesus that they are going to want to talk about little else - they'll even try to evangelize to people who are already Christians, they get so excited about it. ;) And others aren't going to get that emotional about it. They'll be happy, they'll say, "That's good, I'm happy I did this," but you won't see them light up and runneth over with it. That was me. I was glad he said this to people because, again, I'd been feeling like there was something wrong with me as a Christian when I was compared to the rah rah rah people. I was glad I had the discussion with my husband about it too, because he knows me well and he would be honest with me if he felt there was a problem - which he didn't.

I don't think your roommate would lie about becoming a Christian just to make you happy. If you weren't pressuring her into it, what benefit would she get from lying about it? I think she's probably just like me - happy she did it, glad to talk about it, but not feeling that overwhelming emotion about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with her.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
:wave: snoochface,
Thank you for your story, and I am deeply sorry if I had hurt your feelings in any way. And I am so sorry if I had hurt anyone elses feeling as well.:sorry: My roommate had read what you wrote just now and wanted me to thank you as well. This really makes me feel GREAT. God bless you snoochface!!!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Reeds8706

Apr 14, 2005
I basically live at my church in Indiana.
✟169.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
one 4 Christ said:
I have been a Christian now for 6 years. Ever since the day I excepted Christ, I am ALWAYS DELIGHTED to talk about Christ! Every day that goes by I want to do more and more for Him. (I have my share of "Why me Lord" days)
My roommate on the other hand is different. She excepted Christ only one year ago. She seems not to light up like others who are beleivers. Just this past weekend my roommate and I went over to a friends house & my freind and I got into a WONDERFUL conversation about Jesus. My roommate just sat there, looking out the window with a "bored look" on her face. I am worried. When I was her age (Christianity years) I was so excited to talk ANYTHING about the Lord.
Should I worry about her faith? I know that I am A LOT more faithful then her. She just seems to not give her worries to the Lord. She does talk about Jesus but does NOT light up like me and some others that I have talked with. Honestly, I am very scared that she excepted Christ just so I am happy....I HAVE NEVER PRESSURED HER TO EXCEPTING CHRIST, Just only told her the TRUTH when she asked.
Please help:help:, I am beginning to wonder:sigh: .....
You should definitely talk to your friend about this. You might want to even consult your thoughts and concerns with your youth pastor or another trusted, adult in your chruch. Being a Christian is hard. Especially when other Christians don't share the same joy you share. It is very possible that she's not being whole-hearted about the whole thing. Maybe she hasn't really had an experience like you've obviously had. Pray for her and give her time. God bless you for your concern in your fellow believers! :)

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
well,
you cant confront a person about their lack of enthusiasm. ya know?
it doesnt work. becuase its to vague.

i think you just need to pray for the person, i think that when a person isnt excited about the Lord its becuase they broken fellowship with him.
God is good, hes just so good. david didnt dance becuase that was his personality, he experienced the goodness of God and got excited.
i believe wed all dance if we experienced what he did.

i beleive we are all emotional people, though we do all act diffrently, we all can be emotional or excited about God. though a person not being, may just mean their tired.

but i believe like a man of God once said" anytime the fruit of of the spirit arent active, its becuase of broken fellowship with God" and one of the fruits of the spirit is joy.

i know my joy and excitment and all of my christianity, the temperature of it, is directly related to my fellowship with God.
that determines it more than anything else.

pray that she would attain a deeper walk with Jesus.

i seems like she just doesnt know the Lord like she needs to, she probly perfectly saved, just needs a deeper walk with him.

Upvote 0

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Different people have different personalities. Some people show all their emotions clearly to other people; others keep them inside. Some people are bubbly and outgoing; others are more introverted. For example, two people may watch the same football game on tv - one may be jumping up and down, yelling, cheering for their team and the other may be sitting quietly and munching on a snack. Both are enjoying the game - they're just doing it in their own way. Neither one is wrong.

If your friend's words and actions start to actually go against Christianity, then there would be something to worry about. If she doesn't go to church, doesn't pray, and takes part in all kinds of sinful activity, then there is something to worry about. But if the only 'problem' is that she isn't being really emotional and outgoing, that isn't a big deal. It's probably just her personality - which is just as ok as yours. Different people can express their faith in different ways.

Upvote 0

one 4 Christ

Apr 7, 2005
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
You all have such logical advice:thumbsup: .
Once many years ago my roommate and I attended with some of our friends to a Comedy show. I was queitly laughing however my roommate was in "tears" because she was laughing so hard and loud. One of our friend looked at me and asked if I was okay. I informed him that I was and he asked me why I was not laughing as much as my roommate, I told him that I am quieter then her. He just shrudded his shoulders.
The point of this story is that I can see EXACTLY where you all are coming from!
Thanks again for your advice and God Bless!:) By the way, she told me this evening, while on the way to the store, that she does talk about God with her Christian boss and co-workers. She even shared a story with me about this guy who is not Christian who is hard on her for her belief and she told the "head cheese" about this. Now this guy has backed off!!

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
i really dont mean to be argumentive, and it isnt why im saying this, but i dont believe anyone who really knows God will not have times of open emotion.

like, were all called to be passionate and praise God.
and you cant do that stoicly, you just cant.

shes probly fine, but someone who is simply never openly emotional about God?
... i just dont buy that. i dont read of anyone like that in the bible...

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Greetings one 4 Christ , and all ,

Agreeing with much of what's been said .

Yet , for the sake of not being redundant .

Here's an alternative possible scenario for why some are solemn , while others are " rejoicing " , which can be illustrated by a vision a spiritual man shared with me some time ago .

He said , " In the vision he and several others were quietly toiling in the laying down of rail tracks , the mood was one of hardship mixed with hope and calm joy ; then all of a sudden a train full of enthusiastic " worshippers " came rolling along full speed , waving and hollering , ' out of the way , we're coming through ' ".

Sometimes the spirit which stirs high emotional displays , isn't the Holy Spirit , but a seducing spirit which plays on human emotions in ways which are designed to draw the unwary into a false sense of confidence .

This is not meant to imply anyone in particular is in such a state ; but is meant to elaborate on one more potential form of deception to be on guard against .

Below are several Greek words which are sometimes translated as " joy " , can you distinguish the one which is translated the " Joy " which is one of the nine " Fruit of The Spirit " ? ( See Galatians 5:22+23 ) [ Answer at the end of post ]

G20
ἀγαλλίασις
agalliasis
ag-al-lee'-as-is
From G21; exultation; specifically welcome: - gladness, (exceeding) joy.

G1070
γελάω
gelaō
ghel-ah'-o
Of uncertain affinity; to laugh (as a sign of joy or satisfaction): - laugh.

G2744
καυχάομαι
kauchaomai
kow-khah'-om-ahee
From some (obsolete) base akin to that of αὐχέω aucheō (to boast) and G2172; to vaunt (in a good or a bad sense): - (make) boast, glory, joy, rejoice.

G3685
ὀνίνημι
oninēmi
on-in'-ay-mee
A prolonged form of an apparent primary verb ὄνομαι onomai; for which another prolonged form ὀνάω onaō is used as an alternate in some tenses (unless indeed it be identical with the base of G3686 through the idea of notoriety); to gratify, that is, (middle voice) to derive pleasure or advantage from: - have joy.

G4640
σκιρτάω
skirtaō
skeer-tah'-o
Akin to σκαίρω skairō (to skip); to jump, that is, sympathetically move (as the quickening of a fetus): - leap (for joy).

G5479
χαρά
chara
khar-ah'
From G5463; cheerfulness, that is, calm delight: - gladness, X greatly, (X be exceeding) joy (-ful, -fully, -fulness, -ous).

Sometimes , we who are in Christ are not " lighting up " with joy , because we are beholding things which ought not be , and we sense the potential crisis which will result , unless repentance is granted us .

Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished:
It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth?
... <-----> Ezekiel 21:9+10

God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready.
<-----> Psalm 7:11+12

I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
<-----> Revelation 2:13-16

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
<-----> Matthew 6:22+23

Peace and Joy In Christ .

wm

[ Answer - Joy of The Spirit = chara - cheerfulness , that is , calm delight ...]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Endure2 said:
i really dont mean to be argumentive, and it isnt why im saying this, but i dont believe anyone who really knows God will not have times of open emotion.

Well, I just have to disagree. I think it's really easy to think someone else isn't doing right when they aren't just the same as you are. People are different, people express themselves differently, and some people are much more private and introspective than others. Some are not going to express their emotions outwardly.

The joy I feel is one of hope. I have purpose in my life now, I have hope for my future now, and that feeling brings me calmness, peacefulness, and a sense of everything being okay. That's my joy. No, I don't raise my hands in the air when I am in church, I don't bubble over with excitement, I don't "light up" outwardly. That's not me. To me, that feels showy, like the pharisees praying on the street corner so everyone will know how holy they were. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT think that people who do those things are being fake or showy - it's just not for me. And there's not anything wrong with either one of those things, when your heart is in the right place.

It's really not up to any of us to look at each other and doubt their salvation because, in our opinion, we feel like they "just can't" be praising God in their own way. I thank God that we are all so different that we can offer a broader perspective and reach others who are more like ourselves.

Thank you to Wayfaring Man's post for summing things up so well.

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
ah, well thats fine with me if you feel that way.
im not trying to be harsh and i hope it doesnt come across that way.

i know that when i say things like this im going to get people who disagree.

but i just dont believe it, i dont believe it has anything to do with personality.
i recall too many people leaving Jesus presence like light bulbs, not many people who liked him leaving calmly or serenely.

peter did not say
"i cant help but preach "its my personality!"
it was like fire in him.

and i dont believe true joy praise and worship and excitment about God is this calm "very happy on the inside" kind of thing.

i cant prove anything with an idea like this, but i dont believe that.

God is a God who makes people fall down and weep, scream and shout. that happened alot.
not just feel satisfied on the inside and just have this happy content. that didnt.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're 23 years old, right? Maybe when you're a little older and have a bit more experience with a wider variety of people, you'll realize that joy can manifest itself in a number of different ways. Like I said, it's very easy to think that people aren't doing right when they aren't just like you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh as well. I just don't think you are in any position to be judging.

[bible]galatians 5:22-23[/bible]

Some of us may not be as strong on joy as other people are. How are you doing on all the rest? That's a rhetorical question, of course, but one that I think people should think about before claiming that if you don't have overwhelming joy, there's something wrong with you as a Christian.

I have to admit, you've managed to offend me by your comments. Again, I don't think that you - or anyone else, for that matter - is in any position to judge.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Endure2 said:

However, "stoicly" and "passionate" are relative terms when it comes to expression. I might feel wonderful praising God, but I won't be bouncing off the walls like other people will be. I'm just not as emotional like that, I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. And when I do feel wonderful enough to "emotionally" praise God, it is rarely at the convenience of other people - such as Sunday morning. I find the real praise coming when I'm having a quiet time, it's just me going through my day with God.

What I see as dangerous in people who take this sort of attitude (and I'm sure it's unintentional) is self-righteousness. "They must be bad Christians because they're not as happy as I am." Biblically, there is no room for this. In fact, some spiritual heavywieghts went through spells of depression - Elijah, David, and even Jesus in the garden. If "happy" believers don't respect this, the church can become a hostile place for their brothers and sisters in need of love and encouragment. The "not enough faith" line of thinking becomes a barrier to love. I've seen it happen, and this should never be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
snooch face.

do you say we not strive to have great joy? dont you not think the bible encourages us to do have it? dont you think david and peter and paul and Jesus are clear examples of the joy we ought to have? this is what i believe, you can wipe it away and call it my youth if you want. but i have stronger reasons for what i believe. i mean, can you think of one biblical rolemodel that we have that didnt get overly emotional for God if the context of praise or worship or passion was mentioned? i cant. they were all passionate people.
they all passionately praised and preached and died, it was never this calm thing. im not trying to point fingers at anyone, but i dont feel this is where God wants us to be.

im not judging anyone, but i can have an opnion about anything that i want, and this is myne. i dont feel the way i do becuase i want people to be wrong, i feel the way i do becuase i have a conviction about what i feel praise ought to be and do for us.

im not suprised at the responses ive gotten, it doesnt change what i beleive or make me doubt myself.

why have i offended you? you dont agree with me, you think im wrong, shoot losts of people think im wrong about alot of things, but i just try to remember my reasons for what i believe and move on. i never meant to offend you, but i just dont agree with you on this issue, but people disagree ya know?

i think i gave good reasons for what i believe, you may not agree with me, thats fine, but you should atleast say you understand why i believe the way i do, i understand why you believe the way you do and i dont guess i can blame you in light of how you feel, i just dont agree, but thats alright.

twistedsketch

And when I do feel wonderful enough to "emotionally" praise God, it is rarely at the convenience of other people - such as Sunday morning. I find the real praise coming when I'm having a quiet time, it's just me going through my day with God.

well, im sorry to hear that you can only be emotional at home, and i dont want you to doit for my convienence, it doesnt do anything for me man, you being emotional isnt convienent for me in anyway. praise is something we choose to do, it has nothing to with circumstance. well sometimes it does, but i should never require it. but why is it rare that you become "so" emotional in praise?

well, having knowledge of what God desires for us to be and believing it around people who arent doing it, is in no way selfrighteousness or pride. im pretty sure this is what God wants, and im just saying it.
im not trying to prove that any of you are somehow less than me. i try not to consider myself anything or anyone great, though like everyone does, i do struggle with pride.

well, i just hope you understand that sometimes there are more important things than being able to have lovey relationships with everyone.
refusing to tell a person something that they wouldnt like to hear becuase it would upset them or maybe change your relationship with them when its the truth and they need to know, shouldnt be mistaken for love. im sure you know that.

im not saying you tell a person everything you know about what their doing, but there are times when you have to tell the people you love things that upset them and maybe even cause them to not see you in the same way anymore becuase of how they take it, but it must be done. our relationships being euphoric isnt the most important thing.
faithful are the wounds of a brother.

to whoever
i simply believe the bible sets a high climate or temperature for what our praise ought to be. passion or emotion is not this vague undefinite thing, its fruits are clearly known and distinguished.
put a passionate or emotional person next to a calm settled down person, and theres no question which is which.
its a question of stimulation, not personality.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Endure2 said:
well, im sorry to hear that you can only be emotional at home, and i dont want you to doit for my convienence, it doesnt do anything for me man, you being emotional isnt convienent for me in anyway. praise is something we choose to do, it has nothing to with circumstance. well sometimes it does, but i should never require it. but why is it rare that you become "so" emotional in praise?

I couldn't give you a complete answer off the top of my head. Worship time to me is all about being real with God. Confessing everything. Praying through every line of every song, and sometimes I just don't feel some lines to some songs in my heart. So I don't sing them and in their place, I silently pray something different, whatever I'm feeling at the time. And I do try to get closer to God in that time, too. Sometimes I vent and stay put, but not for long, I listen for Him. And I can't quite do that while jumping up and down.

So in a nutshell, worship for me is a time of (sometimes brutal) honesty, and attempts to get closer. It's not just have a fun time and get high off the praise. I went through that phase a long time ago. Sometimes, when I remember what God brought me out of personally, I do get emotional, and I do sing louder and stronger. But no matter how extreme one gets in the singing, there is always another Christian (especially in Pentecostal churches) who will be more outwardly emotional than you. Why try to please them when we're supposed to live to an audience of One?

Endure2 said:
to whoever
i simply believe the bible sets a high climate or temperature for what our praise ought to be. passion or emotion is not this vague undefinite thing, its fruits are clearly known and distinguished.
put a passionate or emotional person next to a calm settled down person, and theres no question which is which.
its a question of stimulation, not personality.
And the stimulation is expressed differently, depending on the personality. I know you're not trying to judge people, but you are if you're not respecting that basic fact. Some people are bounce-off-the-wall types, while others are not. There is a whole personality trait found in many people called "meloncholy" and getting on people's backs for being that way won't get them out of it. God knows our hearts, and I will let Him be the one to judge mine. If anyone tries to judge my walk by how often I smile or how spontaneous I am about God, then they are judging my heart, something only God can do.

Besides, those are false indicators anyway. I'm sure the Pharisees had no problems with smiles and spontinaety. I'm not saying that those who are always "happy about God" are Pharisees, many of you are genuine about it. But I have met a few who are fake like that too, to win the praise of men (as proven by their conduct outside of church, and yes, I knew them very well). All I'm saying is the happiness is not always a true indicator.

Upvote 0

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
well worship time is worship time, it isnt seek revelation time. there are other times for that. its a time when you worship and praise him with all you have, becuase the bible tells us to.
it tells us to lift up our vioces and hands and dance and sing, he desires it.
it isnt a time to seek anything for yourself. though we certainly do seek things from God.
well since when is being outwardly emotional and extravagant automaticly trying to please someone besides God?

And the stimulation is expressed differently, depending on the personality.

but not to the extent that your saying it is.

sure only God can judge, but we arent stupid people us christians,you know something when you see it, and it isnt wrong to know things.
the bible asks things of us, and we know what they are and what they arent.
passion and excitement and enthusiasm, praise and worship, these arent untouchable, mystical, unknown things.

All I'm saying is the happiness is not always a true indicator.

i agree, but a complete lack of something certainly is. and thats all im saying.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Endure2 said:
well worship time is worship time, it isnt seek revelation time. there are other times for that.
I never said it was revelation seeking time. It's honesty time.

Endure2 said:
its a time when you worship and praise him with all you have, becuase the bible tells us to.
it tells us to lift up our vioces and hands and dance and sing, he desires it.
it isnt a time to seek anything for yourself. though we certainly do seek things from God.
Who said I was seeking anything for myself? I am simply trying to avoid this:

"The Lord says:
'These people come near to me with their mouth
and honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
Their worship of me
is made up only of rules taught by men.'" - Isaiah 29:13

If I can't mean something I'm singing, I should shut up. And it's not in your place or anyone else's to tell me otherwise.

Besides, when the Bible tells us to rejoice, it's not REJOICE, DAMMIT! And that's what you come across as saying, sir. That sort of attitude will not free us to rejoice more. Worship should be more free than that.

Endure2 said:
well since when is being outwardly emotional and extravagant automaticly trying to please someone besides God?
That really depends on the church you go to, doesn't it? Honestly, if I went to church and everybody had an attitude like yours, I would feel pressure to be more expressive, and that's not a good thing.

Endure2 said:
a complete lack of something certainly is. and thats all im saying.
And some Christians don't know one when they see it. One day I was walking along, feeling fine and this old lady tries to witness to me. I kept telling her I know God loves me and He saved me. I'm not sure she bought it.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Endure2 said:
sure only God can judge, but we arent stupid people us christians,you know something when you see it, and it isnt wrong to know things.

I know something when I see it too, and it isn't wrong to know these things. And what I know - what I see in you and in your judgmental posts - is that you seem to be severely lacking in the other fruits of the spirit besides joy. Things like peace, gentleness, meekness, and temperance.

Take the plank out of your own eye, Endure2.

Upvote 0