United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I found this interesting.
It's a podcast on Christianity Today called 'Quick to Listen'. The topic is Hank Hannegraaff's chrismation into Orthodoxy.

On the one hand, all of the guests are evangelical. One sounds to be cradle Orthodox who became an evangelical in college. The discussion sounds like it wants to be negative but there's difficulty finding anything negative. language, cultural issues (which we already understand), maybe a 'works' trap.. otherwise it ends up being somewhat positive.
(secondary Soundcloud link)

Thoughts?
[note: the first 6 minutes is about Hanegraaff, the transition to Orthodoxy takes place right on the 6 minute mark. It lasts until about 31-32 minutes in.. so about 25 minutes total]

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Before I take the time to listen have any of them spoken with Hanegraff about his conversion?
No. But one or more knew or worked with him previously. Skip to six minutes where the discussion turns to orthodoxy itself.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. But one or more knew or worked with him previously. Skip to six minutes where the discussion turns to orthodoxy itself.
Ok thanks. Working with him with give them some solid knowledge.

EDIT: I'll have to wait until the giggling baby elephants (the grandkids) parents pick them up. Can't hear myself think but they are having fun. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I found this interesting.
It's a podcast on Christianity Today called 'Quick to Listen'. The topic is Hank Hannegraaff's chrismation into Orthodoxy.

On the one hand, all of the guests are evangelical. One sounds to be cradle Orthodox who became an evangelical in college. The discussion sounds like it wants to be negative but there's difficulty finding anything negative. language, cultural issues (which we already understand), maybe a 'works' trap.. otherwise it ends up being somewhat positive.
(secondary Soundcloud link)

Thoughts?
[note: the first 6 minutes is about Hanegraaff, the transition to Orthodoxy takes place right on the 6 minute mark. It lasts until about 31-32 minutes in.. so about 25 minutes total]

My knowledge of Orthodoxy I get from the dictionary; I am orthodox in that I am right handed. I only listened for a few minutes; that person said he had not changed his views only his method of practicing his faith and was now having a relationship with God, which he had learned from the Eastern Orthodox; presumably he had not had a relationship with God previously.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is interesting I didn't think that was the case. I thought most Evangelicals these days were dispensational and Hanegraffe isn't.

evangelicals can be pretty varied, it is his knowledge and emphasis on Scripture, and that he used the media that made him a hero to them

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
evangelicals can be pretty varied, it is his knowledge and emphasis on Scripture, and that he used the media that made him a hero to them
Agree. I was going to say that scripture, sola scriptura maybe, ranks higher than dispensation doctrine as a general rule. Obviously, exceptions may abound.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My knowledge of Orthodoxy I get from the dictionary; I am orthodox in that I am right handed. I only listened for a few minutes; that person said he had not changed his views only his method of practicing his faith and was now having a relationship with God, which he had learned from the Eastern Orthodox; presumably he had not had a relationship with God previously.
listen to the podcast. You may be intrigued to learn more.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Agree. I was going to say that scripture, sola scriptura maybe, ranks higher than dispensation doctrine as a general rule. Obviously, exceptions may abound.

that was my experience, during my time as an evangelical

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hank's conversion is prompting many discussions about Orthodoxy. We need to take this as an opportunity that perhaps God is giving us to share Orthodoxy with our evangelical friends and family.

What are some ideas you guys have about how we can do this? I for one, have been in discussions with other members of my parish to start a monthly discussion series based on the "Becoming Truly Human" series. Google that and check it out if you don't know what that is.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Christ is risen!

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We need to take this as an opportunity that perhaps God is giving us to share Orthodoxy with our evangelical friends and family..

Christ is risen!
Truly He is risen!

I agree.

I had a long discussion with my mom recently about Orthodoxy. I don't know how 'well' it went in that her questions weren't my questions. In fact, I thought some of the questions came from an odd place. As example; instead of the typical questions about bells, smells and icons - one of the first questions she asked was, "Does that church allow people to call the elders together to pray for healing?" (uh, yeah!!!).
Now, in fairness, my mom is a cancer survivor and also a bit of a hypochondriac so I shouldn't have been too surprised.

Maybe an approach could be to compile a list of questions/concerns that would typically need to be addressed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hank's conversion is prompting many discussions about Orthodoxy. We need to take this as an opportunity that perhaps God is giving us to share Orthodoxy with our evangelical friends and family.

What are some ideas you guys have about how we can do this? I for one, have been in discussions with other members of my parish to start a monthly discussion series based on the "Becoming Truly Human" series. Google that and check it out if you don't know what that is.

Christ is risen!

indeed He is risen!

one of the more effective things that I have seen, is to show how Biblical we really are, and how every thing in our services is rooted in Scripture if not directly there.

Upvote 0

Christina C

Sep 23, 2016
England
✟26,752.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
indeed He is risen!

one of the more effective things that I have seen, is to show how Biblical we really are, and how every thing in our services is rooted in Scripture if not directly there.
As someone who comes, in the past, from an evangelical Anglican background (although more recently Anglo-Catholic) I have found the Fr Andrew Damick podcasts on Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy a real eye-opener. To really get an understanding of where all the many Protestant denominations come from and how they are just swapping Holy Tradition for another, more modern tradition of their own is enlightening, as is discovering what each of them shares with Orthodoxy and where they have departed and why certain of their doctrines just don't make sense. And yes, discovering how Biblical Orthodoxy is and also coming to an understanding that the Scriptures were given to us by the Church and should be understood through the Church.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And yes, discovering how Biblical Orthodoxy is and also coming to an understanding that the Scriptures were given to us by the Church and should be understood through the Church.

that is the key. the message of the Church and the message of the Scripture is the same message. we cannot contrast them from each other, because they do not oppose each other.

Upvote 0