United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
From the letter:

Unfortunately, the words that we applied to Mr. Clinton 20 years ago apply almost perfectly to our current president. Whether Mr. Trump should be removed from office by the Senate or by popular vote next election—that is a matter of prudential judgment. That he should be removed, we believe, is not a matter of partisan loyalties but loyalty to the Creator of the Ten Commandments.

To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve. Consider how your justification of Mr. Trump influences your witness to your Lord and Savior. Consider what an unbelieving world will say if you continue to brush off Mr. Trump’s immoral words and behavior in the cause of political expediency. If we don’t reverse course now, will anyone take anything we say about justice and righteousness with any seriousness for decades to come?

The answer of course is, "No." In fact, it may already be too late.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianity Today represents conservative Evangelicalism. The Christian Century represents progressive evangelicals and mainline Protestants.

So, I think that's pretty significant.

My guess is that this won't phase Trump's base much. There is some evidence that many of the "evangelicals" quoted by the media as Trump supporters are really predominantl non-college-educated rural and suburban whites that are minimally churched, but don't regularly attend.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There you have it. That is mainstream Christianity, written by CT's editor-in-chief. By the editor's own admission, they don't publish political commentary often, but this time they are.

Trump Should Be Removed from Office
I would say it's a "prank call" ;)
Beg your pardon, but I haven't taken that magazine seriously for a long time.
I'll just move on.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christianity Today represents conservative Evangelicalism. The Christian Century represents progressive evangelicals and mainline Protestants.

So, I think that's pretty significant.

My guess is that this won't phase Trump's base much. There is some evidence that many of the "evangelicals" quoted by the media as Trump supporters are really predominantl non-college-educated rural and suburban whites that are minimally churched, but don't regularly attend.
Very pithy distinction there, FD.
Whole lot of truth right there.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christianity Today represents conservative Evangelicalism.
Full disclosure. I tend to be wary of any Christian ministry or publication which uses too much hipsterspeak like "story", "journey", "road", "testimony", etc. And there's plenty of that happening with CT, so yikes!

Also, the Southern Baptist Convention is another (somewhat) conservative institution which represents a lot of evangelicals. And various of the SBC leadership folks are on record for opposing many elements of President Trump's agenda.

Why? Well, it's not because his agenda isn't popular with their members. Indeed, huge numbers of their members enthusiastically voted for President Trump. Rather, it's because their existing membership rolls are ever-dwindling. They need to refill the coffers. To do that, they need to refill the pews. To do that, America must open its borders -- or so their "thinking" goes.

So a lot of the usual suspects in the SBC speak out against President Trump at every opportunity. I'm not at all convinced that doctrine or conviction have anything to do with it. On the contrary, it's a strictly economic decision they're making.

Periodically, I find myself wishing a long, extensive, bloody persecution of Christians would finally come to America so that these signally evangelicals would finally get the message. Except, such a long, extensive, bloody persecution of Christians wouldn't happen during their lifetimes... but it theoretically would happen during my lifetime.

In the end, I see no alternative but to save these boomers from themselves by voting for the policies they deplore. Yes, many of their ecclesial communities may go under but I try to view that only as a fringe benefit.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"My guess is that this won't phase Trump's base much. There is some evidence that many of the "evangelicals" quoted by the media as Trump supporters are really predominantl non-college-educated rural and suburban whites that are minimally churched, but don't regularly attend." Hillary? just playing sorry..

I am guessing EVERY Rep and 3 Dems fall into this. Awesome!

Seems they missed the facts but ok. No crimes.. no 1st hand witnesses. Took them 12 weeks vs Nixon 14 months 1st hand witness and fed crimes. Clinton took them years and 1st hand witnesses and fed crimes. And for Nixon and Clinton Dem and Rep voted to impeach. Here we witnessed only Dems voted to impeach and yet.. 3 Dems and every Rep voted not to impeach.

Yeah.. I am going to guess our forefathers spoke about this very thing? I can quote it? But.. in the end.. nothing happened. Trump is still there. Will be all of 2020 and will most likly be elected in Nov 2020.

And we can do what the DEMS USE to say back during Clintons impeachment. Maxine Waters said we should let the voters decide. I know right.. hard to believe she said that. I loved it. And Nancy and Nadler said the same BACK THEN. Yet Dem Rep always flip flop.

Jesus is lord and He still working in America. Me always praying for all! in Jesus name

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There you have it. That is mainstream Christianity, written by CT's editor-in-chief. By the editor's own admission, they don't publish political commentary often, but this time they are.

Trump Should Be Removed from Office
This is very resonating from the article.
"To the many evangelicals who continue to support Mr. Trump in spite of his blackened moral record, we might say this: Remember who you are and whom you serve."

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer of course is, "No." In fact, it may already be too late.

I think it may already be too late as well. Trump has severely damaged the reputation and image of Evangelical Christianity. But he is not the only one to blame because of the unwavering support and defense he has from so many religious conservatives, despite his immoral and unethical behavior.

Here's one example of the damage I was referring to: Billy Graham's Granddaughter Rebukes Franklin Graham And "Hypocritical" Evangelical Trump Supporters. I posted several other articles similar to that one which also publicly rebuke the Christians who loyally support Trump in another thread yesterday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Very pithy distinction there, FD.
Whole lot of truth right there.

My guess is the media uses the term "Evangelical" because alot of the other terms wouldn't be very PC in this day and age.

In the south, folks that make an altar call or claim to be born again are a dime-a-dozen. The media needs to get new criteria, ones not rooted in religion to understand the phenomenon of angry, aggrieved, non-college educated white males. Because as it is, the term doesn't bring clarity to politics. That's both the fault of the media, and the fault of evangelicals themselves.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump has severely damaged the reputation and image of Evangelical Christianity.
No....evangelical Christians themselves have severely damaged Evangelical Christianity.

Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I am relieved to see this. I thought I was missing something.

I'm relieved to see it too, to be honest.

I think it's about time that more Christians took a public stand against him. I respect that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No....evangelical Christians themselves have severely damaged Evangelical Christianity.

I personally think Trump is also to blame for some of the damage done, as I said in my other post.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Mainline Protestants haven't been much better, necessarily. Actually, alot of swing votes for Trump probably came from minimally churched Protestants in general, of whom there are a sizable percentage of mainline Protestants.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally think Trump is also to blame for some of the damage done, as I said in my other post.
Naw....many evangelicals are/were naive enough to believe that he is a fulfillment of prophecy and will rush in the end times. They don't give a crap about his behavior. They just wanna bring about the second return in their lifetime. Makes me sick.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Naw....many evangelicals are/were naive enough to believe that he is a fulfillment of prophecy and will rush in the end times. They don't give a crap about his behavior. They just wanna bring about the second return in their lifetime. Makes me sick. Idiots.

They believe that about every Republican candidate now days, and vote Republican reflexively. Abortion, God, guns, and gays motivate this demographic.

They didn't swing the election per se. Everybody knows how they will vote. And while powerful, they rarely swing elections. What swung the election were independents who were charmed by a businessman and celebrity who was folksy, bigoted, and crude like them.

Upvote 0