✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
I’m observing Christianity and looking at the past history of it, recent and more distant, I can see Christian religious institutions across the board are waning. The traditional values are decaying, the strength of faith is crumpling. The most affected are the young generation, which is especially aided by the digital world of gadgets and the Internet (yes, I’m typing it on my device screen :))

What I see as the baseline of the problem is anything real is disappearing, and only profiteering is remaining. This shocks me as it comes in a stark contrast with the essence of Jesus Christ’s teaching, love. Instead of emanating and teaching love, Christianity became introverted and utilitarian.

If you agree with me, what is the solution? What Christian spiritual leaders are to do to improve it and return to the roots? Considering that faith cannot be forced upon anybody in any way, it must be nourished gently and grow within people organically.

Or if you disagree that Christianity is in decline, why?

Last edited:

iLearn

Jul 12, 2019
Sabah
✟14,765.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The sign of end time

Matt 24 12-13
Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Nothing you and I can do except pray Jesus come quickly!

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Or of you disagree that Christianity is on the decline, why?

It suppose to you if you read the Bible. Apostasy is suppose to grow in the last days, and Christians will have their faith tested.

MATTHEW 24:12-13

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
I’m observing Christianity and looking at the past history of it, recent and more distant, I can see Christian religious institutions across the board are waning. The traditional values are decaying, the strength of faith is crumpling. The most affected are the young generation, which is especially aided by the digital world of gadgets and the Internet (yes, I’m typing it on my device screen :))

What I see as the baseline of the problem is anything real is disappearing, and only profiteering is remaining. This shocks me as it comes in a stark contrast with the essence of Jesus Christ’s teaching, love. Instead of emanating and teaching love, Christianity became introverted and utilitarian.

If you agree with me, what is the solution? What Christian spiritual leaders are to do to improve it and return to the roots? Considering that faith cannot be forced upon anybody in any way, it must be nourished gently and grow within people organically.

Or of you disagree that Christianity is on the decline, why?
Can't wait till your designation changes from seeker to beliver. Your on the right track my friend. Loving the Lord is first and foremost. There was and always has been only a remnant, a small number of people who love Him. He knows our heart so there is nothing that can been hidden from Him.
Christianity is an excercise in honestly and righteousness. This is why it is difficult to find true faith in Christianity today and all through the ages.
I do hope you can own Him as your own one day so that your search will end.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The falling away will happen. Believers must be baptized in the Holy Ghost. Most believers do not emphasize this step. Therefore the believers do not have power. There is water baptism and there is baptism in the Holy Ghost. There were believers
Acts 1:5
For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

7 And all the men were about twelve.
Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree with everything said so far. My pastor was quoting a survey at church and he said about 70% of "Christians" in America believe there is another way to get to Heaven besides Jesus Christ. This is why Christianity is on the decline. Many are not saved to begin with. Jesus Christ is the only way. Christian leaders cannot do anything except preach the Word and live the example. People need to know the Word of God and live it despite what they think they feel. God's way is the best way.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello.

Or if you disagree that Christianity is on the decline, why?

I think your observations are quite accurate. Though I would go further. I would argue that much of Christianity in America has lost its soul because it has sold itself over to what Lutherans call the "Theology of Glory".

I know not everyone is into nitty-gritty theological details; but I do think it is helpful to explain what I'm talking about when I say "Theology of Glory" and why I believe it is not just a serious problem today, but I would argue it is the problem; the underlying root of the matter.

Lutheran theology speaks of two "Theologies", one is bad and false (Theology of Glory) and one is good and true (Theology of the Cross).

The short of it is that the Theology of Glory tries to find God in glory, power, wisdom, strength, good works, etc. The Theology of the Cross, on the other hand, says that God finds us in the weakness, suffering, and humility of Jesus Christ who was crucified.

Note the contrasts. The Theology of Glory is about framing everything as man going to God, God in His power, wisdom, etc and on the basis of man's own efforts, will, strength, works, etc. The Theology of the Cross is about framing everything as God coming to man, God in His weakness, His humility, His suffering, and His Cross.

The Theology of Glory tries to seek God behind the invisible veil of His power and majesty.
The Theology of the Cross says that God shows Himself to us in the flesh and bones of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Take a sampling of popular Christian worship music over the last hundred years, pay attention to the language of the lyrics, notice a trend? Listen to what preachers broadcast from their pulpits, or on television sets all across America. Notice a trend?

How does this play out when it comes to the intersection of church, society, culture, and government? Just look at how often one comes across rhetoric about having a godly nation, that America is a special nation blessed by God and America needs to "get right with God" or else God is going to do something really really bad.

Again, listen to what's being said, and how it's being said. It's Theology of Glory. It always comes down to man finding God in commandment keeping.

And because the Theology of Glory can only ever produce arrogance or despair, guess what happens when people burn out on despair? Or when people can no longer keep up the farce of their arrogance? Or, what happens when people can thoroughly convince themselves of their own self-righteousness, so much so that they think they can go around telling everyone else how much their poop stinks.

The Theology of Glory breeds corruption. It was what Martin Luther identified as the source of the problem in the Western Church of his own day. Five hundred years later, in the US, the face of the institution(s) which teach (and profit) from the Theology of Glory may be different. It's not bishop-princes in the Holy Roman Empire, but guys in suit and ties, or in tshirts and jeans going up on Sunday morning telling hundreds of thousands in their congregations that the point of Christianity is to have a personal relationship to God by having a profound mystical encounter with God, and then spending the rest of their lives slowly improving themselves morally. They talk about holiness codes, and about things like "purity", they are exceedingly "moral", in fact they'll be more than happy to tell you about all the really important rules you have to follow about what to listen for music, or what to watch on television, or what clothes women should wear to be "modest", etc etc. After all, being holy is not watching a rated R movie that contains female presenting nipples; as opposed to, say, making sure that your neighbor is well fed.

And that's how Theology of Glory can, once again, puff people up. Like the Pharisee in Jesus' parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. The Pharisee boasts that he is not like "all those other sinners there, especially that tax-collector". He tithes properly, he does his religious duties. He has the right religion, worships the right God.

So, again, I agree with your observations. But I would go a lot further.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello.

Perhaps it is in Canada and the US. But in US history at least, Christianity ebbed and flowed. There were Great Awakenings that ushered in revival. I figure we're due for another one in my lifetime if God doesn't take me home early. This is to say nothing of Christianity globally. In many nations, the church is growing strongly.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello.

Christians need to get back to basics. It is not a religion, it is a relationship with God through Christ. The true gospel is contentious and offends people. Or gets them saved. I was saved in the 1970's and even then there was the start of a watering down in some churches. Some decided to compromise with the world, imagining that it would make the gospel more palatable. Wrong. It just made it ineffective and produced "Christians" who had the name but nothing else.

The sad reality is that most churches have an open door policy and most of those who attend are not born again. In one way, the decline is not of Christianity is a good thing. It is the false and phony that are leaving. Real Christians are leaving the organised denominations, but for different reasons. I believe that the real church will eventually be underground, home based and low key. This is how it began and how the Roman world was transformed in a relatively short time. I believe that a new type of leader will rise up, one who has learned in the school of the Spirit, not a theological college. I believe that God is bypassing the denominations. We will see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ColoRaydo

Feb 9, 2017
Colorado
✟33,572.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
According to the Pew Research Center, Christianity is growing (as is Islam. Islam is growing faster due to the birth rate in Muslim cultures).

Theologically liberal churches in the West have been dying in the vine for decades. It’s easy to see why. When the Gospel gets watered down to please the masses, the masses see no reason to go to church.

Bible believing churches and especially small groups are growing, but “Christians in name only” no longer have familial or societal pressures to identify as such. So, it can appear that “Christianity” is shrinking in the west. However, Christianity is growing rapidly in Africa, China and Latin America.

My opinion only is that the once great western churches have served their initial purpose, as did the once great churches in the near east, but the core of true Bible believing Christians is indeed being separated from the so called lukewarm.

Most likely, the percentage of true believers hasn’t changed that much in the west.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello.

I don't know why Christianity is on the skids but I do know that Christians have a habit of blaming anything and everything but themselves, or the specifics of their religious beliefs, for the downturn in numbers.

I seems to me that Christianity needs to take a hard-nosed, non-defensive and rational, look at itself rather than adopting the knee-jerk excuses I see regularly. This doesn't mean it has to change, but a rational examination of why it's happening may foster some changes which don't necessarily conflict with the accepted tenets of Christianity.

OB

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello.

I think the institutional church is on the wane. New generations don't want it and the politics in these churches have become toxic and counter gospel not to mention the waste of resources to run these things. New generations want grass roots, authenticity, relationship and small batches and they want it outside the church building. A deconstruction of the big box church needs to happen and a great leveler of the hierarchies inside, funny it's a very similar goal to Luthur in the 15th c.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
According to the Pew Research Center, Christianity is growing (as is Islam. Islam is growing faster due to the birth rate in Muslim cultures).

Theologically liberal churches in the West have been dying in the vine for decades. It’s easy to see why. When the Gospel gets watered down to please the masses, the masses see no reason to go to church.

Bible believing churches and especially small groups are growing, but “Christians in name only” no longer have familial or societal pressures to identify as such. So, it can appear that “Christianity” is shrinking in the west. However, Christianity is growing rapidly in Africa, China and Latin America.

My opinion only is that the once great western churches have served their initial purpose, as did the once great churches in the near east, but the core of true Bible believing Christians is indeed being separated from the so called lukewarm.

Most likely, the percentage of true believers hasn’t changed that much in the west.

If Christianity is shrinking in the West but growing in Africa, China and Latin America, doesn't that suggest that, part of the problem is connected to some intrinsic differences between these two groups?

Look at the Western group in isolation for instance.

Christian belief/observance is significantly lower among the social democracies like Scandinavian countries. Social democracy provides a high level of cradle-to-grave security which a highly religious country like the US does not.

Could it be that a sense of security reduces the need for religious support?

Could it be that the increasing personal security in wealthy Western nations reduces the demand for religion?

Could it be that the insecurity inherent in the US 'fend-for-yourself' capitalist type system is the reason that the US retains a fairly high level of religiosity compared to other Western countries?

Could it be that the growth of Christianity in China, many African countries and Latin America is related to the relative insecurities of life in these countries?

To identify why Western Christianity is failing perhaps Christianity needs to better understand itself.

OB

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what is the solution?

You are the solution. You claim to be a seeker, ok.
What evidence do you have that Jesus rose from the dead?
or
What evidence do you have that he didn't?

Christianity stands or falls on this point.
If you are seeking God you will have very closely examined the historical evidence for/against this, so what is your position?

How can it be possible to believe historical facts and not act on them.

you ar the solution because if you do believe the facts and are achristian, you will be talking about them, what it means to you etc etc etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There was a story I heard once back in the days of the Soviet Union. It was told that two Russian soldiers burst into a secret prayer meeting. They asked if everyone there was a Christian. Two of the people said no and were allowed to leave. Then the soldiers said, "OK, now we will pray with you".

This might be illustrative of the difference between outward and inward Christianity. Outward Christianity is more observable and frequently defines organizational systems and institutions. Sadly often as outward Christianity gains numbers, it is at the expense of inward Christianity.

As social fashion changes such that Christianity of any sort is viewed with scorn, outward Christianity will quickly fade. Finally what will be left are those whose faith has brought them to the point where "they love not their lives unto death Rev 12:11).

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If Christianity is shrinking in the West but growing in Africa, China and Latin America, doesn't that suggest that, part of the problem is connected to some intrinsic differences between these two groups?

Look at the Western group in isolation for instance.

Christian belief/observance is significantly lower among the social democracies like Scandinavian countries. Social democracy provides a high level of cradle-to-grave security which a highly religious country like the US does not.

Could it be that a sense of security reduces the need for religious support?

Could it be that the increasing personal security in wealthy Western nations reduces the demand for religion?

Could it be that the insecurity inherent in the US 'fend-for-yourself' capitalist type system is the reason that the US retains a fairly high level of religiosity compared to other Western countries?

Could it be that the growth of Christianity in China, many African countries and Latin America is related to the relative insecurities of life in these countries?

To identify why Western Christianity is failing perhaps Christianity needs to better understand itself.

OB

Very interesting. Also level of education maybe. China is pretty stable and increasingly becoming even more so. Maybe in absolute figures the growth is impressive, but in relative to the total population (per capita) is not significant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Pretty pessimistic view… Sounds like you think true believers are few and far between

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pretty pessimistic view… Sounds like you think true believers are few and far between

And then there's the following bit that Jesus is reported by Luke to have said and over which we all have to wrestle when wondering about its application to some moment in history:

Luke 18:8 [NIV]

"... However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

Upvote 0