Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The promise of eternal life requires that you die. Materially, Christianity offers you absolutely nothing while you're alive. You are, however, pressured into offering time and money to Christianity.

So what does Christianity offer that is immaterial?

Christianity offers hope that things will be better once you die. I don't need Christianity for this. There are many religions that offer the same thing, often with less strings attached.

Christianity offers philosophy. Jesus was a philosopher. However, Christians are compelled to accept as absolute truth everything that Jesus said. Even when Jesus suggested that we don't need to wash our hands before we eat. It has been well established that this is a bad idea. Therefore, it is best to pick and choose from the sayings of Jesus rather than accepting all of them. As an atheist, I pick and choose from religious philosophy all the time. Not only do I not need Christianity to do this, but as a Christian I wouldn't even have the freedom to pick and choose from the sayings of Jesus.

Therefore, Christianity offers nothing materially, and its immaterial offers come at a cost. Christianity restricts your freedoms and wastes your time and money. The little that it does offer can be found elsewhere.

• Informative
Reactions: Po1eca7

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Peter began to say to him, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you." Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life. But many that are first will be last, and the last first." (Mark 10:28-31)

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hope (not only for the afterlife, but for things here on earth).

The ability to love beyond what one believes themselves capable.

Freedom from the bonds of our flesh by placing our minds and hearts on heavenly things.

Joy indescribable. Not 24/7, but it is still possible to experience :)

An insight and perspective on the world that is outside the here and now. The ability to see "the bigger picture" more clearly, and understand humanity, society, politics, cultures, in a unique way.

Virtues like grace, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion, that are often in short supply in the secular world.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hope (not only for the afterlife, but for things here on earth).

The ability to love beyond what one believes themselves capable.

Freedom from the bonds of our flesh by placing our minds and hearts on heavenly things.

Joy indescribable. Not 24/7, but it is still possible to experience :)

An insight and perspective on the world that is outside the here and now. The ability to see "the bigger picture" more clearly, and understand humanity, society, politics, cultures, in a unique way.

Virtues like grace, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion, that are often in short supply in the secular world.

Your very first sentence indicates you didn't read the OP.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The promise of eternal life requires that you die.
Hello Nihilist Virus, actually, the only "requirement" (for someone to come into possession of eternal life from God) is saving faith in Him, because God gives us "eternal" life from the very moment that we first believe. As the Lord Jesus said,

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, ~has~ eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

--David

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello Nihilist Virus, actually, the only "requirement" (for someone to come into possession of eternal life from God) is saving faith in Him, because God gives us "eternal" life from the very moment that we first believe. As the Lord Jesus said,

John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, ~has~ eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

--David
But if we don't listen to the Holy Spirit, in this life, our ride is going to be bumpier than it needs to be... [James 1:5-8] (That is another plus on this side.)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does this life offer you that you can keep eternally? And if you can't keep it eternally, is it really yours?
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot, missionary

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachel20
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟200,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your very first sentence indicates you didn't read the OP.
When I began to die on the cross with Christ, is when He began to live in me. The op doesn't address anything about this.

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you have to die to get it, do you actually get it?

I believe I already have it. My soul won't die when my body does. Yet even in this life, I have many blessings though I also had to go through many dry valleys first. Not sure why that is, but that's how it panned out in my life. Perhaps something related to God trying man with his eyelids and watching him for awhile (Psalms 11:4). After that, it seems the floodgates opened.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Peter began to say to him, "Lo, we have left everything and followed you." Jesus said, "Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life. But many that are first will be last, and the last first." (Mark 10:28-31)

Perfectly relevant to the thread, thanks. Except it's obviously and demonstrably false, so there's that issue.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe I already have it. My soul won't die when my body does. Yet even in this life, I have many blessings though I also had to go through many dry valleys first. Not sure why that is, but that's how it panned out in my life. Perhaps something related to God trying man with his eyelids and watching him for awhile (Psalms 11:4). After that, it seems the floodgates opened.

I already addressed this. Other religions offer you belief in rewards after you die.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟242,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Well, lemme try to think up some things that Christianity can provide to people during their lives.

Hope - A chance at eternal bliss can lift people out of despair and motivate them to overcome hardship and suffering. It has been and continues to be a popular religion among the impoverished around the world.

Meaning - It provides a reason for existence, countering nihilistic notions.

Morality - The Golden Rule and other commandments provide a sound standard of behavior for people to live by. Certain morals that Christians come up from scripture with may be questionable in modern society, but there is no question that a Christian society follows a good moral structure overall.

Charity - Helping out the poor was a big thing for Jesus, and that is reflected in Christians on average. Even those who believe government has no business handing out charity to the poor will tend to be charitable in private.

All of these things can be found outside of Christianity. They are not found automatically, however. It can be very easy to slide into darkness without something handy to guide you.

So... I can see some value in it.

Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟303,748.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The promise of eternal life requires that you die. Materially, Christianity offers you absolutely nothing while you're alive. You are, however, pressured into offering time and money to Christianity.

Christianity offers hope that things will be better once you die. I don't need Christianity for this. There are many religions that offer the same thing, often with less strings attached.

Christianity offers philosophy. Jesus was a philosopher. However, Christians are compelled to accept as absolute truth everything that Jesus said. Even when Jesus suggested that we don't need to wash our hands before we eat. It has been well established that this is a bad idea. Therefore, it is best to pick and choose from the sayings of Jesus rather than accepting all of them. As an atheist, I pick and choose from religious philosophy all the time. Not only do I not need Christianity to do this, but as a Christian I wouldn't even have the freedom to pick and choose from the sayings of Jesus.

Therefore, Christianity offers nothing materially, and its immaterial offers come at a cost. Christianity restricts your freedoms and wastes your time and money. The little that it does offer can be found elsewhere.
Christianity’s newness is the opportunity of a fruitful life with the power available to maintain it.

Upvote 0