AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It's true that not every person who claims to be a Christian is dedicated to following Christ. Nonetheless, the fact that someone is willing to take the title out loud in the presence of another person is a good place to start.

Now ideally, if someone says that they are a Christian, it should mean that they do what Jesus said: to help the poor, treat the sick and injured, aid the oppressed and those in jail, refrain from violence and anger, educate others and preach the gospel.

Upvote 0

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you hear the someone saying "I am christian" what do you think of? What do you think of that person after this statement?
Two things.
  1. That's pretty brave in this society where Christianity is one of the few religions you can revile without criticism.
  2. I want to ask him, "So are you a believer?"

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I hear it- I'm thinking it could mean anything. The word encompasses so much these days that it is practically meaningless. One person could mean something practically the opposite of another. I prefer Believer in lieu of the term Christian.

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Context is everything. What prompted them to say that?

But a general basic thought: that's a vague answer. Gives you a general idea, but few specifics. Solid answer for a getting to you know type environment - as it offers a clear distinction between Christian or Hindu, etc. But doesn't get into any specifics.

It's like someone answering at a party: so where are you from? "England." -- general enough to give a person a solid social answer, as it differentiates between Europe, South Africa, or Australia, etc. - but if they choose to dive into the answer they'd ask "oh really? like Manchester area or London?" To someone that knows the area further questions could give them a better picture.

Upvote 0