Christian youth rally in S.F.

molder

May 18, 2005
✟702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
More than 25,000 evangelical Christian youth landed Friday in San Francisco for a two-day rally at AT&T Park against "the virtue terrorism" of popular culture, and they were greeted by an official city condemnation and a clutch of protesters who said their event amounted to a "fascist mega-pep rally."

"Battle Cry for a Generation" is led by a 44-year-old Concord native, Ron Luce, who wants "God's instruction book" to guide young people away from the corrupting influence of popular culture.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/25/BATTLE.TMP

mn_battlecry25_068.jpg

[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif] Sister Mary Timothy, of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, shouts at Christian youths holding a rally on the steps of City Hall in San Francisco. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn [/FONT]

molder

May 18, 2005
✟702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is another news article since my last posting:

A Christian youth rally that drew more than 25,000 people to AT&T Park this weekend met resistance from city leaders and some residents, who questioned the rally's agenda in this largely liberal, gay-friendly metropolis.
The two-day rally, called "Battle Cry for a Generation," was intended to guide young people away from a popular culture that organizers say glamorizes drugs, violence and sex.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/25/state/n192940S13.DTL&hw=battle+cry&sn=001&sc=1000

Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, told counterprotesters that while such fundamentalists may be small in number, "they're loud, they're obnoxious, they're disgusting and they should get out of San Francisco."

It appears San Francisco city officials would rather have their city youth be given over to drugs and sex rather than Christ.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'm sure the Bible will move people away from drugs and sex.

I mean, that's what the Bible did to my Christian "acquaintances" in high school right? Nope, not really. If anything, they were the ones who were doing all the drugs and sex. The non-Christians were the ones who stayed sober.

Oh, and molder:
The $55 advance tickets for two days of musical performances and speeches were sold out, but walk-up admission was available for $199.

You forgot to show this. *snicker*

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The $55 advance tickets for two days of musical performances and speeches were sold out, but walk-up admission was available for $199.

LOL; a rally for which you need to buy tickets? Very droll! ;)

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
molder said:
What’s there to snicker about? Evidently the Christian bands performing at this major league baseball park drew a large crowd. The bands were:
Pillar
Toby Mac
Delirious
Jeremy Camp

Then it's not really a rally, ain't it?

AcquireTheFire... my God... those guys... no wonder. Beef up the costs in the name of Jesus. And they'll come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
molder said:
Since when can't you have a rally without music?

Well, if it took music, a giant stadium, and a sad half-tossed has-been group like Acquire the Fire to get them in to get teens to rally, then it must not have been a very good one.

Wanna see a real rally? There's 20 times that many people who rallied for Illegal Immigration in California. And they didn't need any of that.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
molder said:
If this wasn't a real rally what is it?

It sparked the intollerance of city officials and led to counter demonstrations at City Hall.

I think (for probably the ONLY time in my life) I'll take the side of Assemblyman Mark Leno.

That's bad news to Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who told counterprotesters at City Hall on Friday that while such fundamentalists may be small in number, "they're loud, they're obnoxious, they're disgusting, and they should get out of San Francisco."

Amen.

It's not intolerance. It's common sense.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Always surprised how on a Christian forum the idea of Christians spreading their faith and expressing themselves in the public square is upsetting to some. So much so they must find a reason why this was not the positive event it was.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Voegelin said:
Always surprised how on a Christian forum the idea of Christians spreading their faith and expressing themselves in the public square is upsetting to some. So much so they must find a reason why this was not the positive event it was.

Please... I can guarantee you most of the kids were there for the hidden booze and drugs that were probably in a few of the kids' pockets.

Teens into worship? That'll be the day. I was as devout a Fundie as I was when I was 15 and even I had my own... sinful tastes in life I enjoyed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Harpuia said:
Wanna see a real rally? There's 20 times that many people who rallied for Illegal Immigration in California. And they didn't need any of that.

Who are you to determine what is and isn't a rally? :scratch: So what if there is a concert, speakers, etc?

I"m glad that there are youth out there that is actually not afraid to stand up for their beliefs, unlike some of us so called adults. And that Assemblymen - how ironic!

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
BeautyForAshes said:
Who are you to determine what is and isn't a rally? :scratch: So what if there is a concert, speakers, etc?

I"m glad that there are youth out there that is actually not afraid to stand up for their beliefs, unlike some of us so called adults. And that Assemblymen - how ironic!

LOL

Again, I laugh at the thought of Christian teens "standing up" for anything, except maybe a good party with some booze, drugs, and sex.

Like I said before, I know that from experience, Christians tend to party more with the illegal stuff than non-Christians do. So this just makes me laugh about how wild such a party can really get. It probably made Mardi Gras look like nothing.

Upvote 0

outlaw

the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know where to begin with this bit of weirdness…

25,000 evangelical Christian youth are being led by a “44-year-old”…maybe I’m on the wrong side of thirty to think this….but isn’t 44 a bit long in the tooth to be considered youthful?

the only activist clearly visible in the picture looks like someone’s grandmother

the sign the above mentioned activist is holding “fight to save your generation” is just funny in itself.

Complaints by posters about anyone daring to question the rally’s “agenda” brought a smile to my face. I'm not clear on ust what this groups agenda is…oops…guess I’m questioning it…bad outlaw!…bad!!

The 44 year old youth that leads these activists is disparaging the “corrupting influence of popular culture” but yet he’s more than happy to make use of that same popular culture to further his own ends

And given the ticket price $199 that 44 year old youth seems ot have other issues close to his wallet…err...heart

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
outlaw said:
And given the ticket price $199 that 44 year old youth seems ot have other issues close to his wallet…err...heart as well.

I did a little bit of math for ya.

I'm gonna say that probably 40% of the people there probably paid in advance, the $55. So we'll say 10,000 people.

That leaves 15,000 to pay the $199.

$55 * 10,000 + $199 * 15,000 = $3.55 million.

After payment of the bands, Giants stadium, etc. profit came up to about $1.5-2 million.

I'm in the wrong business. I should start charging $100 to every person in the illegal immigration rally to rally on the streets. I'd be richer than Bill Gates! :D

Upvote 0