Christian: What portions of the Holy Scriptures do you actually believe and trust?

What portions of the Holy Scriptures do you actually believe and trust?

• Cover to cover, all of it is the Word of God and reliable

Votes: 55 78.6%
  • Most of it. I don't believe most of the OT is human history but the NT is solidly reliable

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I only believe the NT is reliable and the OT is not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the Scriptures are literal or historically reliable

• I see the Bible as not God's Word but good stories which help me in my spiritual journey

• I'm a non-believer posing as a Christian against forum rules, do I get to vote?

• The Bible is a human product. Some of it true, some of it questionable

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • The Bible is largely true as the inspired Word of God, although subject to minor human-induced error

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This topic would normally be more about differences in interpretations and most would agree the OT and NT is the Word of God and that as the Apostle teaches:

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).​

However, there seems to be a movement in Christian churches to embrace the theologies of 19th century skeptics and call into question the historical events and historical figures in the Holy Scriptures OT and NT. Some even deny the literal Incarnation, Virgin Birth, Miracles of Jesus Christ and shockingly the central core of Christianity---The physical, bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You may be asking, if such Christians exist, and they do, "why bother." That is something I would like to explore as well as gain an understanding of where these professed Christian churches get their beliefs and what objective truths lead them to deny the Holy Scriptures are not the Word of God.

Poll is up and should drive the conversation. If another poll answer suits let me know and I will consider it but I tried to cover all the bases.

God Bless.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did not see an option that best describes my thoughts on the matter. To believe in the forest one does not have to believe in every leaf on every tree. I accept that the Bible is the closest thing we have to written truth. But I also know that countless scribes copied the Bible many times. Human beings being fallible as we are, I believe unintentional errors were made in copying. I also believe human beings such as we are likely took some liberties here or there to offer some personal enhancements along the way. So maybe there is a leaf here or there that is wrong. But it's still an inspired and beautiful forest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This topic would normally be more about differences in interpretations and most would agree the OT and NT is the Word of God and that as the Apostle teaches:

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).​

However, there seems to be a movement in Christian churches to embrace the theologies of 19th century skeptics and call into question the historical events and historical figures in the Holy Scriptures OT and NT. Some even deny the literal Incarnation, Virgin Birth, Miracles of Jesus Christ and shockingly the central core of Christianity---The physical, bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You may be asking, if such Christians exist, and they do, "why bother." That is something I would like to explore as well as gain an understanding of where these professed Christian churches get their beliefs and what objective truths lead them to deny the Holy Scriptures are not the Word of God.

Poll is up and should drive the conversation. If another poll answer suits let me know and I will consider it but I tried to cover all the bases.

God Bless.
There is a growing number who would be described as "mere Christians". They only believe the gospel and that which merely makes them Christian.
They are a spur group of those that don't stand for sound doctrine and want their ears tickled... Nice talk and home to the ball game...

These are those that are the product of academia which is indoctrinating the youth with anti biblical teaching.. stating it as fact.. and even the Christian youth are now believing the words of mere mortal men in white lab coats... over the inspired words of their savior.. who, by the way.. is also the One that created everything.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
owever, there seems to be a movement in Christian churches to embrace the theologies of 19th century skeptics and call into question the historical events and historical figures in the Holy Scriptures OT and NT. Some even deny the literal Incarnation, Virgin Birth, Miracles of Jesus Christ and shockingly the central core of Christianity---The physical, bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

You may be asking, if such Christians exist, and they do, "why bother."
I guess my question would be, since those are core doctrines of the Christian faith, why call yourself a "christian" if you do not believe those things?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I did not see an option that best describes by thoughts on the matter. To believe in the forest one does not have to believe in every leaf on every tree. I accept that the Bible is the closest thing we have to written truth. But I also know that countless scribes copied the Bible many times. Human beings being fallible as we are, I believe unintentional errors were made in copying. I also believe human beings such as we are likely took some liberties here or there to offer some personal enhancements along the way. So maybe there is a leaf here or there that is wrong. But it's still an inspired and beautiful forest.
Yes, countless scribes copied the bible many times... but they did not all make the same mistake.. So.. aligning all the copies.. you can still come up with the proper truth that the original stated.

This is a common argument.. but it doesn't hold water.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I guess my question would be, since those are core doctrines of the Christian faith, why call yourself a "christian" if you do not believe those things?
I agree 100%...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not see an option that best describes by thoughts on the matter. To believe in the forest one does not have to believe in every leaf on every tree. I accept that the Bible is the closest thing we have to written truth. But I also know that countless scribes copied the Bible many times. Human beings being fallible as we are, I believe unintentional errors were made in copying. I also believe human beings such as we are likely took some liberties here or there to offer some personal enhancements along the way. So maybe there is a leaf here or there that is wrong. But it's still an inspired and beautiful forest.
I added another response which I think would meet your category.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do have one caveat about context. Some of the laws in the Old Testament were Israel-specific, like those regarding the assignment of tribal lands. I am not sure how they are relevant to Gentile believers. Maybe when He establishes His Thearchy...?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I added another response which I think would meet your category.

Thank you for the attempt, but the addition is not quite it. My position is more like "The Bible is largely true as the inspired Word of God, although subject to minor human-induced error from transcribing and translating."

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's true. All of it.
Every letter in the Bible is true.
There are no errors in the Bible.
The words of the Lord are pure words.
The Holy Bible is indeed holy and divine in origin.

While there are certain commands of the Old Covenant that do not apply to believers under the New Covenant, all of Scripture is profitable for the Christian life in some way (2 Timothy 3:16-17). All of Scripture points to Jesus. The Bible includes many historical accounts (that liberal Christians write off as allegory). In the Bible there are teachings, truths, and most importantly the love of God for our lives and in how to be redeemed and in having a relationship with Him.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that special privileges will be given, at the pearly gate, to those who call themselves Christians? Why is it important what people call themselves?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you believe that special privileges will be given, at the pearly gate, to those who call themselves Christians? Why is it important what people call themselves?
Who is standing at the pearly gates questioning? Peter?

• Haha
Reactions: Qwertyui0p
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God Bless.
I vote cover to cover, yet I do not agree with most interpretations of the words......not even my own. Truth is revealed, not learned, when we are ready and able to bear it.

Note that the verse in 2 Timothy may only apply to the OT,,, as there is not evidence that the NT was written, compiled, or completed at the time of it's utterance. So if we can apply to words written after.....we can just as well apply it to books written last week.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).
I believe we have to be born not only of the Spirit, but by water, too. The "water" is the communicated "Word of God" (See: Ephesians 5:25-27, 1 Peter 1:23-25, 1 Peter 2:1-2). I believe we have to one day come to accept God's Word (the Bible) as pure and true and without error (Psalms 12:6-7). For the moment we say that there are errors in God's Word is the moment we get to decide what is true or not true in the Bible (When we are fallible creatures). We should not seek to change God's Word in what it says, but we should let God's Word change us.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
maybe because a person won't be at the 'pearly gates' if they are not Christian?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who is standing at the pearly gates questioning? Peter?
This is what I need to know.....so I can be prepared. I know, from scripture, that some will have a list of reasons why they should get in, in case they are turned away. Do I also need to have a title and the right denomination to call myself? This is important stuff.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe." (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
maybe because a person won't be at the 'pearly gates' if they are not Christian?
What about those who cry lord lord, and have a list of accomplishments. They are turned away after hearing they were never known. So they, too, make it to the entrance, but are not allowed to pass. Im sure they called themselves Christian as well.

Upvote 0