Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The OP asked a question that was bound to generate lots of argument about the moral status of gays. But that kind of argument probably isn’t much help to the OP. How should someone who thinks God prohibits same-gender sex treat gays?

There’s only one acceptable Christian answer, which is to love them.

However I think there are some more things we should say to help the OP in doing that.

1) Realize that there’s no such thing as a “gay lifestyle,” and thus that gays need to be treated as individuals, just like anyone else. There are gays who bring home a different person every night, gays who are active Christians, married with children, with the same concerns as other parents, and gays who are celibate.

2) At least in the US (I don’t know the situation in the OP’s country) about half of gays are Christian. Are you prepared to treat a gay person as a brother or sister in Christ? Many Christians aren’t. But it’s going to be really hard to have any kind of positive interaction if you treat a Christian as if they weren’t.

3) Realize that many gays (again, I speak from the US perspective) have experienced mistreatment because of that fact. This complicates the situation for a Christian who doesn’t accept homosexuality as OK. Some Christians are put into the position of saying “I think you’re going to hell, just like the people who attack you all the time, but I’m different.” It may be true, but it may not be easy for the other person to accept.

4) Consider that the first thing you should do is probably listen.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, the only hope in this is community. The way we experience the love of Christ is from the family of believers. When people reject this struggling with this it's difficult to break free.

And I have to say I have not found that kind of thing from the community here at all.

I've seen atheists be more kind and understanding.

• Winner
Reactions: Maria.V.H
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have been reported to CF.
I read your comment and it is clear that you were trying to encourage SSA in the power of God for deliverance. You are right. However, I ask that you recant on your report. A wounded animal will bite the hand that is trying to help it, so too wounded believers. I agree that his comparing you to a Pharisee was hurtful and inappropriate, but the tenor of his comments in other places show that he was truly seeking help.

As I said before, this thread is doomed to be closed because it breaches the CF rules. Try to reconcile with SSA before they close it.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I have to say I have not found that kind of thing from the community here at all.

I've seen atheists be more kind and understanding.
Sad but true.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally don't support LGBT since God created man and woman for a reason. As I've learned lesbian and gay relationships are prohibited in Christianity. Since gays and lesbians are born with that status of a mind (psychologically), it seems it's impossible for them to attract themselves towards the opposite gender. I find that it's something like a disorder in them. It's not a Christian characteristic for us to reject/neglect them, or punish them for how they were born. So, what should we do to them?

This subject has been beaten into the ground on these forums. Also, there is zero proof anyone is born that way. What a lie from satan.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's not a disorder, it's a sinful choice they are making based on obsessions of lust. See Romans one.

"Sinful choice"?

I dare you to try to look at a random person on the street and try to force yourself to crush on them. Can't do that. That's not how attraction works.

Things like this is why I'm really beginning to resent Christians in general. That and many other things.

Really pushing me toward deism and agnosticism tbh.

They say "they'll know we are Christians by our love", but more often it seems that Christians are the most hateful I've encountered. The atheists I've met—all the ones IRL and many on the Internet—are kind and do not judge, or call people sinners, or say they'll burn in hell for something they can't control, or an't force themself to believe. And at least on this forum, asking questions either results in ignoring/dodging the question, cherrypicking with preconceived ideas and paying no attention to context, or being called blasphemous/a troll atheist/a demon (uyes I did seriously have someone here call me that last one)

Is it any wonder people say that two things that drive them away most from Christianity are the Bible and other Christians?

• Agree
Reactions: Maria.V.H
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally don't support LGBT since God created man and woman for a reason. As I've learned lesbian and gay relationships are prohibited in Christianity. Since gays and lesbians are born with that status of a mind (psychologically), it seems it's impossible for them to attract themselves towards the opposite gender. I find that it's something like a disorder in them. It's not a Christian characteristic for us to reject/neglect them, or punish them for how they were born. So, what should we do to them?

Tell all people (non only some) the Good News of the Savior, Who can rescue everyone from death.

We are no better than any other sinner. We all need Him.

If anything, those of us that dare to judge others need Him even more desperately!!

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Advisor Hat

This thread is closed. The site rules include:

• Homosexuality may not be promoted* on CF. Several debate forums allow same-sex marriage to be discussed from a political, legal, historical, and civil rights point of view. Please check the Statement of Purpose thread for individual debate forums before posting. Homosexuality and SSM may be discussed in the Congregational forums according to each forums' guidelines in their Statement of Purpose. Homosexuality and SSM may be discussed, without promotion*, in the Struggles with Sexuality and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues. Members may not promote* homosexuality or same-sex marriage in their profiles.
That means homosexuality may not be discussed in this forum.

• Winner
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen these threads for years. Some of them I started early on. But the thing I always come back to is the love of Christ. Also, Jesus and the Adulterous woman is a good example for us. The main point is the statement of Jesus Christ about 'the person who is without sin among us can cast the first stone.' Naturally there is no one like that and I think that is the point.

Although the practice of homosexuality is frowned upon by God as stated in His Holy Word, there is a ton of scripture about how we are to treat our fellows.

These threads can become combative and that hides the loving people behind the posts. Let our rebukes and teachings be without condemnation. Rather, let them be out of love and in a way that can be received by others.

Think about how a loving father would guide his son or daughter. That I believe is what is required of us when dealing with others. Our God and our Lord set that example. And it is always that love that should rise to the top in all of our interactions.

Although we have difficulty with that, we can do it and learn to do it better if we keep trying.

God bless everyone here and thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.