✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello

I am a Muslim, who would like to learn more about Christianity.

Can anyone recommend a Christian theology book for absolute beginners?

Thanks

The best place to begin is with the Nicene Creed. It is a simple statement of faith for Christianity.

Nicene Creed

• Agree
Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello

Thanks
This little booklet will give you a good overview and the right perspective quickly:

www.adonai-reigns.life/the-gospel

.. and especially if you put a bit of thought into the meaning of the footnotes, it can open your eyes to the depth of speech in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello! :wave:

I would suggest Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello

Thanks

Within the Christian faith, you will find many many theologies and they can vary greatly.
You could start with the New Testament itself (www.biblehub.com) learn about Jesus ... it's all about Jesus. He wants all to know about Him.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
One person recommended CS Lewis, Mere Christianity. That's the classic introduction for what I'd call traditional Christianity. If you're interested in a more modern approach, N T Wright's "Simply Christian" is an attempt to update it using more modern scholarship. (A lot has been learned about 1st Cent Judaism since Lewis' time. That affects how we understand Jesus and the early Christians.) It's still "orthodox" Christianity. I'd slightly prefer Wright, in part because it gives some of the historical and theological background you need to make sense of the Bible, particularly the New Testament.

For dealing with many of the standard "problems" with Christianity, Tim Keller's "The Reason for God" is the best moderately conservative approach I've seen. Brian McLaren's "Finding Faith" (which may be shown as two books or combined) is a good introduction to the liberal approach.

A couple of people have suggested the Bible. Definitely. But reading the whole Bible from beginning to end is probably not the best place to start. And many of the ideas that most concern Muslims (e.g. the Trinity) aren't in the Bible in any explicit form. Hence the suggestion for something else. But you should definitely read at least part of the Bible very early in your exploration. I suggest starting with Luke and Acts, two books written by the same person, one on the life of Jesus and the other on the early Church.

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And many of the ideas that most concern Muslims (e.g. the Trinity) aren't in the Bible in any explicit form.

Maybe there's a very obvious reason for that. And remember, the Nicene Creed is a teaching of man, and for many reasons just like that, I would suggest the bible first, so we aren't swayed by any man on anything on how we perceive the bible or so we don't automatically read into it instead of out of it.

Where better to get the word of god, but from the Word of God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe there's a very obvious reason for that. And remember, the Nicene Creed is a teaching of man, and for many reasons just like that, I would suggest the bible first, so we aren't swayed by any man on anything on how we perceive the bible or so we don't automatically read into it instead of out of it.

Where better to get the word of god, but from the Word of God?

30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make? It either went completely over my head, or it wasn't clear.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand what point you are trying to make? It either went completely over my head, or it wasn't clear.
Hello ken,
The eunuch did not mind the teaching of men when he said how can I understand except someone teach me.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello ken,
The eunuch did not mind the teaching of men when he said how can I understand except someone teach me.

I see, but surely you know the what the teaching of men can often amount too? My point was, as opposed to what the bible say, and it's not the bible that created what we speak of...it was men.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Kenny's

[I see, but surely you know the what the teaching of men can often amount too?]

I only understand your concern in part. God uses means Ken. Pastors and teachers are men. God has purposed to use them all through Church history. We should not despise trusted guides, but as the Bereans did, we should examine their teaching in light of scripture.
Acts17:
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0