• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian that struggles with fetishes and same sex attaction.

T Jay

Dec 17, 2016
New Mexico
✟18,023.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Celibate
Im 42 and have struggled with same sex attraction or rather a strong fetish. I have a thing for men in suits and their shoes, loafers ect..same goes for uniforms and blue collar and seeing it sets me off. I managed to stop for a while but it came back really strong and overpowering that has lead me back to masturbation. I've prayed and even chatted with a few pastors and all have had their own idea but I feel lost. Ive read tons of stories of Christian men that still battle with homosexual feeling and fight it. Im tired of fighting it since a child. I'm not looking for a relationship and never have with another man.

I use to read my Bible and study..and pray..but I just stopped, only reading it maybe twice aweek. Will God every helpme?

• Prayers
Reactions: AlexB23

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Im 42 and have struggled with same sex attraction or rather a strong fetish. I have a thing for men in suits and their shoes, loafers ect..same goes for uniforms and blue collar and seeing it sets me off. I managed to stop for a while but it came back really strong and overpowering that has lead me back to masturbation. I've prayed and even chatted with a few pastors and all have had their own idea but I feel lost. Ive read tons of stories of Christian men that still battle with homosexual feeling and fight it. Im tired of fighting it since a child. I'm not looking for a relationship and never have with another man.

I use to read my Bible and study..and pray..but I just stopped, only reading it maybe twice aweek. Will God every helpme?
Do you go to church? If you do not then I strongly recommend you to do so. Also what helps a lot is you also attend a small group bible studies group and all churches have this. What can benefit you the most is attending an mens only bible study group. That really did help me. It seems you need support for strong Christian men. I will pray there are opportunities for you to go to one.

Also reading the bible everyday helps. For me I read the bible everyday even if I do not feel like it. I see it has made a big difference in my life. Also spending time with God is so important too.

God blessings

Upvote 0

T Jay

Dec 17, 2016
New Mexico
✟18,023.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you go to church? If you do not then I strongly recommend you to do so. Also what helps a lot is you also attend a small group bible studies group and all churches have this. What can benefit you the most is attending an mens only bible study group. That really did help me. It seems you need support for strong Christian men. I will pray there are opportunities for you to go to one.

Also reading the bible everyday helps. For me I read the bible everyday even if I do not feel like it. I see it has made a big difference in my life. Also spending time with God is so important too.

God blessings
Thanks

Upvote 0

IridescentLight

Feb 1, 2017
Florida
✟11,554.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't think that stopping your bible reading and praying would help very much.

I am one of those people that have homosexual tendencies and fight them. The struggle is hard and daily, it doesn't let up. When I feel like it's hopeless to resist, which is more often then I'd like to admit, I usually turn to Isaiah 41:10.

I'd just like you to know that you aren't alone in this fight. I'm going through it. Others are too. And so is God, staying right by your side.

Upvote 0

T Jay

Dec 17, 2016
New Mexico
✟18,023.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think that stopping your bible reading and praying would help very much.

I am one of those people that have homosexual tendencies and fight them. The struggle is hard and daily, it doesn't let up. When I feel like it's hopeless to resist, which is more often then I'd like to admit, I usually turn to Isaiah 41:10.

I'd just like you to know that you aren't alone in this fight. I'm going through it. Others are too. And so is God, staying right by your side.

your message is helpful and to feel that others are fighting and struggling and still holding firm with our Heavenly Father and Lord Christ. Thanks for the message.

Upvote 0

T Jay

Dec 17, 2016
New Mexico
✟18,023.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Celibate
Im still struggling and read the bible and study, try and keep busy but my focus is blurred. Then I found someone by accident that is also struggling and it has even made matters worst. This man is or was an assistant pastor who pushed hard for protection from inappropriate contentography, easy access to sexual material, gays.... Here is a man that is a strong member of a church, well known family man in the community but yet he struggles with same sex attraction and he said its a painful, very painful controlling struggle. He wants more than friendship from me but i just want to be friends.

I did at a time join a Life Church type of group with people dealing with problems and struggles as Christians. I spoke with some the leader of the church, he seemed more relaxed and felt others would deal better with the two child molesters in the group so I didnt tell of them of my struggles. I do struggle from anxiety caused by medication which was a side-effect.

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm 19. and I have been dealing with SSA since puberty. Wanting the best book on the topic, I looked around and settled on this one:
Shame and Attachment Loss - The Practical Work of Reparative Therapy

It was a Godsend.

It was published in 2016, and the Author, Joseph Nicolosi sadly passed away this year. before you get the book you can watch some of his videos to see if his ideas click with you. this is a good overview of his ideas:

Its taken several months to work through some issues, but Things have gotten better for me.Now I just have occasional homosexual thoughts. the hard part is when you stop caring about gay sex, your coming to face with other conflicts, like being angry at your parents and stuff. or being really upset about your life.

You really have to take it one step at a time. When I went through puberty I had some obsessive things that became homosexual related fetishes, some are embaressing to mention, but one was a obssesion with really short hair and masculine looking millitary hairstyles on men(and a compulsion to have it myself). The sexual part had gone down so much, but now that its mostly out of the way I am back at where I was before, all these fetishes, they could get sexual but mainly they are an obsession. Everything goes back to trauma. My dad gave me haircuts when I was younger and he would always make a big deal about our haircuts "I really need to give you a haircut". and he would say "You don't want to look like a girl". It became an obssesion because I felt like to be a man you had to have a good haircut, and I didn't feel man enough. So for any obssesive thought, howeaver weird or embarrasing it may be, there is usually a reason for it. Like you at one point I was fantasizing about men in suits. I still don't know what caused it. probably I saw successfull men(who dressed like that), and so I was jealous of them and wanted to take that obtain that masculinity i saw in them through sex.

When you are able to face the illusion and the problem, you can move into greif and compassion for yourself(for example: having short hair makes you manly. I am not manly without it) you learn that those shallow things are not what make you a man. You are born a man. you can then mourn the fact that when you were little, people didn't support you enough in knowing you were a worthy member of your gender.

opposite sex feelings you have to be patient with too, because if you never had them, it might be because your mother uncomfortably imposed physical closeness with her upon you, and so the fear of boundry violations keeps your feelings for women shut off, as well as your mother being hard to please(so you are afraid other women will act like your mother). I have had very little feelings for women my self. I have them on rare occasion, but its so uncommon I sometimes don't believe the feelings are real. I am facing this right now, I know the relationship my mother had with me was unhealthy in some ways, so I've had to emotionally disconnect from her. I don't know what to do now, because I'm afraid of the unhealthy relationship resuming. I know it would be bad for me.

Also be warned. Even after you are able to face your ssa and overcome them, life is still really tough. Life doesn't get easier just because your free of SSA. it can get harder because you don't have all that sexual stuff to distract you from it.

The main thing is to have another guy to talk to, so you know you are not alone. and you can learn from people that have gone through similar struggles. and your main enemy is shame, when your feeling your not good enough, or you are bad, then your homosexual attractions might go way up.
I find that writing youe emotional experiences of the day in a journal helps you move through them.

If you have any questions about my experience I would be happy to share.

I may have shared too much, and not all of this information may apply to you but I plan to have a general intention in my prayers for people struggling with homosexual feelings and addictions.
I hope this helps.
and I pray that God will help you.

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RedeemedtoManhood

Jul 29, 2017
Metro Manila
✟21,884.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi friends in the Lord!

Much has indeed happened. God is truly more amazing and powerful than we can ever imagine. He is after all the God who created the whole universe!

Through this warfare - which of course includes Living in the Spirit, soaking in God's Word, sharing to you guys, repeatedl viewing testimonies of homosexuals redeemed and reformed by Jesus Christ, praying, and avoiding any form of inappropriate contentography - I realized that the men I am lusting for have definitely decreased!! Praise God!!

There are now only very very few men that arouse me recently. And for those men that I notice, they would have to be very goodloooking and have a great body for me to notice them, and yet it's no longer a guaranty that I would be aroused by them!

Another thing I noticed, I am discovering that I am finding women to be attractive now.

Honestly, there are two young women in the church that I am now attracted to (Meaning, I can envision that I can marry any of them).

And lastly, I find myself telling God that I want to marry a woman! Wow! This was not me at all... I didn't desire marriage!

Praise the Lord Jesus! Praise God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

T Jay

Dec 17, 2016
New Mexico
✟18,023.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Celibate
I spoke to another pastor who asked me many questions, such as the ones touched on by the gentleman in the video. Asked about family, abuse both physical and sexual, about connections with parents, family. But in the end he couldnt find any connection since I've had the attraction since I could remember. All he could say was that it was possible I was cursed. a "Sins of the Father" or family curse. He even, and wasnt the first, to say that there is a reason I was born this way, so when I was delivered it would serve as a testimony of Gods strength. But wait, so God made me like this just so he could deliver me just to get a testimony out of me? I think this all left me bitter and added to it was some of the stories i study about Christians delivered and married still had the feels and even returned to former ways. So if having same sex attractions is sin, and been told its a demonic possession. Ive also come across a bunch of Christians that are pastors, song leaders, strong members of church, dance in the spirit but they have strong same sex attractions. Still remember when I was a young fella around 5 or 6 and knew what I was feeling was wrong..and even hoped that the world would end because I knew i would be going to hell.

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I spoke to another pastor who asked me many questions, such as the ones touched on by the gentleman in the video. Asked about family, abuse both physical and sexual, about connections with parents, family. But in the end he couldnt find any connection since I've had the attraction since I could remember. All he could say was that it was possible I was cursed. a "Sins of the Father" or family curse. He even, and wasnt the first, to say that there is a reason I was born this way, so when I was delivered it would serve as a testimony of Gods strength. But wait, so God made me like this just so he could deliver me just to get a testimony out of me? I think this all left me bitter and added to it was some of the stories i study about Christians delivered and married still had the feels and even returned to former ways. So if having same sex attractions is sin, and been told its a demonic possession. Ive also come across a bunch of Christians that are pastors, song leaders, strong members of church, dance in the spirit but they have strong same sex attractions. Still remember when I was a young fella around 5 or 6 and knew what I was feeling was wrong..and even hoped that the world would end because I knew i would be going to hell.

I'm starting to think same sex attractions is not always a helpful word.

There is a difference between a fascination with the same sex, and a sexual desire for the same sex.

The video explains that when you are about 3 you have a fascination for the father. It's When you don't fulfill this fascination due to shame(because your parents don't bolster your esteem enough, or hurt it) is when the roots of homosexuality begin.

You don't need actual abuse. I was always telling myself I was lucky to have parents like mine. Little things have a large impact on you when you are very young.

an interest in masculinity and a desire for male intimacy, especially at a young age, is not a disordered desire. It is normal. Its part of phsycological development. You probably did not have sexual feelings at that age. It becomes sexual later when you fail to make the transition into a masculine identity.

It is unfortunate that you were convinced you were gay at 5 or 6. You werent having sexual feelings at that age, right? What put that idea inside your head? I would dig deeper into that. a six year old shouldn't be taught to worry about being gay. That is wrong. I would look into what happened, and who influenced you to think like that.

Sadly believing male closeness is wrong is contributes to being gay. Its awful, because people don't know the difference between friendship and homosexuality.
This contributes a lot actually.

I avoided male connection in my late childhood and early teens because I thought it was wrong, for example, I believed that it was queer for guys to hug so I avoided it to avoid being teased. but it increased my desire for male connection, and since I wouldn't let myself have it, my brain decided to try to pretend to get it through sex.

I personally do not believe you are cursed.

Your family does not have to be terrible to influence your homosexuality. They just need to have flaws, which everyone does. You are probably not "born this way"

I hope you sort it out.

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Another thing. It is better to make friends with heterosexual men. This helps you to heal. It's not as good just to do this with people who have the same struggle, because there is greater danger(you both could give into temptation), and little growth.

Upvote 0