May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You could try Virgin Black. They edge closer toward goth/doom territory, but certainly worth a listen. Vocals vary between operatic clean and a death metal growl.

Virgin Black - Opera de Romanci (Stare & Embrace) - YouTube
Virgin Black - And the Kiss of God's Mouth, Pt. 1 and Pt. 2 [Lyrics] - YouTube

Semi-symphonic, but more prog/thrash would be Believer.
Believer - dimentia - YouTube

If you liked the first one and don't mind going deeper down the gothic/operatic corridor, there would be Saviour Machine...

Saviour Machine - Antichrist II: The Balance Of Power - YouTube
Saviour Machine - Behold A Pale Horse w/ Lyrics - YouTube
Saviour Machine - The Beast - YouTube

I dunno. When I was in my metal phase I was more into the black/death scene so the symphonic stuff kinda just passed me right by...

Upvote 0

highpocket74

Dec 20, 2011
Louisiana
✟15,311.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just found the forum so I thought I would comment. This is the same question I searched to find this forum.

Couple of suggestions that I have found (some progressive):

theocracy - awesome
darkwater
harmony
hb-frozen inside is very good.

If you have found any others please share.

Upvote 0

burnemdawg

Jan 25, 2012
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
The Eternal Affect. Awesome band produced by Jon Oliva (Trans-Siberian Orchestra & Savatage) They are currently working on their debut album, but have an EP titled "deo vindice" and have released select demo clips of their material that will be on their debut album. They are a band heavily influenced by emery, anberlin, and thrice. the song "and so it begins" is one of their more "symphonic metal" songs and can be found on youtube.

Upvote 0

cloud777

Nov 9, 2012
✟7,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'll make this as short as possible. I've seen alot of people ask about metal bands, especially the symphonic ones, so here is a list of symphonic bands. Keep in mind that these are all in different styles, and ALL are christian:

The Beckoning - Their album Demystifying the oracle is even available for free legal download

Royal Anguish

Dead End Rising - It's a death style with good piano alongside it, and also available for free legal download

Renascent - Both Demon's Quest EP and Through Darkness album are symphonic

There are tons of Christian Power Metal bands:

Audiovision

Darkwater

DivineFire

Golden Resurrection

Harmony

Incrave

Innerwish

Sinbreed

Theocracy

The female fronted metal That I know of Are:

Ivory moon

HB

Edge Of Eternity

And If you like praise female fronted metal check out:

Scandinavian metal praise album

And For my personal favorite, the Symphonic Christian Black Metal
I'll divide these into two sections, the ones with accompanying female operatic vocals, and just the symphonic stuff

Female Operatic Vocals Unblack Metal:

Beeroth

Deborah

Divine Symphony - Reject Darkness (Their other album "THe History" Is symphonic but not with operatic female vocals)

Herlighet - A warrior never dies album

Slechtvalk - The war that plagues the lands (Slechtvalk also has some other songs with a different female than on this album, so check out some more of his stuff, like the thunder of war song, and cries of the haunted track)

As For symphonic Black metal without female operatic vocals:

Ancient Plague

Antestor

Azmaveth

Bealiah - (Raw Unblack with some symphonic touches)

Blood Covenant - Some of Their albums are available for free and legal download

Coram Deo - Evangelion album

Crimson moonlight - Eternal Emperor EP Album

Dark Lay Still - Through Hell album

Endelmoor - Demo which is available at the blackened hymns forum, along with other free and legal Unblack downloads (Worth checking out)

Eternal Emperor - Sudwarts Album

Grave Declaration - The nightshift worshipper album

Holy Blood - If you like the folk style symphonic Unblack

Soterion

And also vardoger - whitefrozen album

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
H

HannahClareRawlings

I agree with cloud777, a lot of these bands being posted are pretty far from symphonic, I felt I had to post here as it seems everybody on a forum who asks for symphonic Christian metal doesn't find what they are looking for.

My own band Ecthirion is extremely symphonic, to listen to a clip from the new album go to ecthirion.co.uk - beware it will play as the intro! To find us on youtube try ecthirion- immortality / warmageddon

I would say in my own opinion Renascent and Divinefire are the 2 top christian symphonic metal bands, there is nothing as good as nightwish in any way sadly, there isn't really any operatic singers in the scene or orchestrators who do stuff that good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marvmars

May 10, 2014
California, The Belly of the Liberal Beast
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was wondering if anybody was aware of some decent Christian symphonic metal bands? I enjoy bands like Nightwish, Edenbridge, Epica, Kamelot, and Within Temptation. I've found a couple of bands, but they were pretty sub-par.

I realize this is a very old post I am replying to but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw it. I Googled Christian symphonic metal bands and this post came up. You mentioned 2 of my farvorite bands, I have all of Nightwish's albums with Tara Tarunen (I dont really care for thier new singer) and all of Epicas albums. I also have a couple of Kamelot's as well. Have you ever heard of Therion? Right now they are my favorite symphonic metal band, but the problem is they are not Christian. In fact they are very much the opposite and its causing a major struggle for me. I too am very discouraged at not being able to find any Christian symphonic metal bands of the same caliber as some of the secular bands. Its like drinking Guinness and then trying to drink Budwieser. YUCK (Thats my beer analogy, tho I dont drink anymore). Have you had any luck finding any bands? Im checking out the Globus band that was listed on this thread, not sure if they are Christian or not, but I really like their sound. I feel doomed. I went thru a period of two years where I didnt listen to ANYTHING, which was just as maddening. Theres a lot of bands that I like the sound of but I cant stand the cookie montster vocals, I never liked the grunting and I especially cant stand it after listening to opera trained singers like Tara Tarunen and Lori Lewis (Therion). Ive even wondered if they make some kind of software where you could get rid of the lyrics. At least I know now that Im not alone in my frustration! I wonder if God gets mad when I listen to Therion and the like, I go back and forth and back and forth on whether or not I should listen to it. Sometimes I feel guilty sometimes I dont. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, Im at my wits end with this one. I found some really cool stuff you may like on You Tube its called The Best of Epic Music 2012, its got a bunch of cool stuff on it which led me to find some symphonic metal sounding tracks without any lyrics, which is better but I would still rather find something with Christian lyrics. I was up all night long checking out some of the artists and tracks from the You Tube stuff that I found, if anyone is interested I could list some of them for you. Thanks

Upvote 0

marvmars

May 10, 2014
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am responding here to Hannah Clare Rawlings post with regards to the comments about Nightwish. I couldnt quote the whole thing because it had a link in it and I guess you cant insert a link unless you have a certain amount of posts (?)

"I would say in my own opinion Renascent and Divinefire are the 2 top christian symphonic metal bands, there is nothing as good as nightwish in any way sadly, there isn't really any operatic singers in the scene or orchestrators who do stuff that good"

I love Nightwish. You are correct so far as I can see if you are saying there are no comparable Christian symphonic bands. However if we are talking secular or non Christian, check out Therion. Not their older stuff. Their earlier albums have the grunting (cookie monster vocals as I call it) They are amazing and their vocalists are incredible. Lori Lewis who has been on most of their latest albums is an opera trained singer just like Tara Tarunen. Albums to check out Vovin, Lemuria, Deggial, Siruis B, Gothic Kabbalah. The MAJOR bummer is they are not Christian, but if you like Nightwish, I garuntee you will like Therion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I realize this is a very old post I am replying to but I just about fell out of my chair when I saw it. I Googled Christian symphonic metal bands and this post came up. You mentioned 2 of my farvorite bands, I have all of Nightwish's albums with Tara Tarunen (I dont really care for thier new singer) and all of Epicas albums. I also have a couple of Kamelot's as well. Have you ever heard of Therion? Right now they are my favorite symphonic metal band, but the problem is they are not Christian. In fact they are very much the opposite and its causing a major struggle for me. I too am very discouraged at not being able to find any Christian symphonic metal bands of the same caliber as some of the secular bands. Its like drinking Guinness and then trying to drink Budwieser. YUCK (Thats my beer analogy, tho I dont drink anymore). Have you had any luck finding any bands? Im checking out the Globus band that was listed on this thread, not sure if they are Christian or not, but I really like their sound. I feel doomed. I went thru a period of two years where I didnt listen to ANYTHING, which was just as maddening. Theres a lot of bands that I like the sound of but I cant stand the cookie montster vocals, I never liked the grunting and I especially cant stand it after listening to opera trained singers like Tara Tarunen and Lori Lewis (Therion). Ive even wondered if they make some kind of software where you could get rid of the lyrics. At least I know now that Im not alone in my frustration! I wonder if God gets mad when I listen to Therion and the like, I go back and forth and back and forth on whether or not I should listen to it. Sometimes I feel guilty sometimes I dont. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, Im at my wits end with this one. I found some really cool stuff you may like on You Tube its called The Best of Epic Music 2012, its got a bunch of cool stuff on it which led me to find some symphonic metal sounding tracks without any lyrics, which is better but I would still rather find something with Christian lyrics. I was up all night long checking out some of the artists and tracks from the You Tube stuff that I found, if anyone is interested I could list some of them for you. Thanks

Nightwish has an even newer singer now. The new singer seems to be somewhere in between Tarja's and Annette's styles. Her name is Floor Jansen.

Upvote 0

marvmars

May 10, 2014
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, thanks for the info! I wonder what happened. I have a DVD of Tara's last performance with Nightwish. I havent been able to bring myself to watch it. Everyone in the band knows its her last night except her. She gets fired immediately after the show. The first album I bought from Nightwish was the first album with Annettte. I downloaded all of thier older albums and so fell in love with Tara as the vocalist I have yet to listen to the one with Annette.

Upvote 0