Christian struggling... can you help me?

Aug 11, 2010
✟7,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I struggle to be bold, among other things. My name is Ashley and I'm 17...
Today at youth group, while we were singing, I kept getting distracted from God and I struggled to be bold enough to sing when everyones' voices got quieter while singing. In fact, my body temperature rose and I almost started sweating. I struggle to be bold...
These distractions are off and on and it's a constant battle. I can not tell you how much I would like to just turn OFF these distractions. I just want to serve my God without thinking what other people think of me! I don't want feel like the only one in my youth group who cares and strives toward salvation but that's what it has felt like, and it makes me feel isolated in my own age group.
For the longest time I didn't even want to obey the preacher's teaching even though I knew he was probably right.
I didn't want to bow down to his wishes or surrender to his teaching.

Now I understand, and I want to surrender my whole being and just FREE myself from this bondage..
I feel tormented by distractions, and things around me even in youth group and church and life in general that serve to take my focus off Christ. I want my thoughts to be consumed in Christ-like thinking so that I just won't fall again. I feel chained and bound by what other people think of me. I want to be FREE! through Christ alone.
I need someone to cling to and empower me to have strength and courage and perseverance through these times, especially once school starts. Pray that God send me someone, a friend, maybe someone my own age with the same beliefs as I do, who relates to me in every sense...
I pray for the renewal of my mind, and humility, and a discerning heart, and boldness. I am easily distracted and distressed when I don't know should I do this or should I not? Pray that God is very clear and firm on what He wants me to do next...

Thank you for reading everything here.. I don't want my head to go below water... Please send a helpful reply...

hope_47362

Feb 18, 2010
Geogria
✟7,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know EXACTLY what you mean as far AS distractions!!! As some one who wasnt raised with christian obedience and discipline, fully concentrating of God in a group setting can be very hard! What generally helps me is praying with authority beforehand.

I ask the holy spirit to fill me and lead me to be pleasing to Him and to bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

I bind any evil thing from my presence and command them to leave in Jesus name telling them they have no authority over me because I am a child of Christ and am obedient to him alone.

Sometimes when its really hard I also pray a hedge of proctection around me and plead the shed blood of Jesus upon me.

Also closing my eyes helps me.

hope this helps :o)

Upvote 0

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟32,434.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know exactly what you are talking about. We seem to be in the same age group and I have always felt distracted in and out of church. I guess the first step is to accept the fact that Jesus loves you no matter what other people think of you. I used to be hesitant to pray in church because no one my age did so. They all just stood there caring about nothing. But I realised how God would love me if I followed his words and have tried not to mind what other people would think of me. I know its hard to start out and having distractions isnt abnormal at our age. But I know in my heart that starting to follow Jesus Christ in your early years of life will give you a huge advantage in life over people who wouldnt follow. Hope this helps

God bless you!

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Pray that these distractions will go away and that this bondage will be lifted. God is concerned about your worship not what others think. Be a leader in your group- don't feel isolated at your age. Feel free to email me.

Another possibility is attending a different church where the youth are more involved.

Upvote 0