Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A wise man told me that discipline is not the absence of love, but the application of love," David R. Hobbs, administrator of Heritage Academy, said in response to criticism that he wasn't showing Christian love. "We love Maddie Runkles. The best way to love her right now is to hold her accountable for her immorality that began this situation."

Continued below.
Christian school defends denying pregnant teen graduation ‘walk’

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So I wonder if she kept it quiet and had an abortion, would she still walk down? How many students drink and smoke and maybe even gay from christian schools that sign this type of pledge. Hidden sins are easier to save face and sweep under the carpet. Her sin just happens to be visible.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
She's going to be accountable for her actions the rest of her life. She already took accountability by choosing to keep the baby instead of quietly having an abortion & avoiding the public humiliation the school is putting on her. Shame on them.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do we know she was "immoral"? If she was forced, no sin on her part...

Edit: so the wages of sin is...not walking? Give me a break. I'd like to see every rapist "not walk" (what a punishment) and every school official who skims out of the petty cash or threatens students into sex not get a paycheck...ever. Think Mr. Hobbs will sign on for that?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"The way of the transgressor is hard." She's getting a diploma. The school is doing her no permanent harm. If she feels bad because she's not at the ceremony, I don't care.

The school's done permanent damage to their reputation with how they've treated her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's quite telling that the pro-life groups are supporting this young woman and rightly criticizing the school for its Pharisee-like response to the situation. What good comes from denying this young woman the graduation walk? It just serves to make the holier-than-thou administrators feel good about themselves.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
"A wise man told me that discipline is not the absence of love, but the application of love," David R. Hobbs, administrator of Heritage Academy, said in response to criticism that he wasn't showing Christian love. "We love Maddie Runkles. The best way to love her right now is to hold her accountable for her immorality that began this situation."

Continued below.
Christian school defends denying pregnant teen graduation ‘walk’
The really interesting thing in all of this is that nowhere in the article does it mention whether this is a Catholic or a Protestant school. anyone else catch that?

This is not something that one should find in a Catholic school simply because of the ease of drawing a parallel between the pregnancy of the student and that of the Virgin Mary. Yes, Mary was impregnated by the Holy Spirit, but the fact remains that at the time she was an unmarried virgin just like this girl. And just like this girl she carried Jesus for 9 months openly.
The school's decision was based not on whether the student subsequently married or did not marry, but only on the conception itself.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Agreed Michie - the article made it clear.

My own reaction - this lassie slipped up , according to the agreement she signed when she enrolled , she broke the rules BUT very much in her favour she is keeping the child she is carrying.

What we do not know is if there are others - who transgressed as she did, BUT arranged for a termination and are graduating publicly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,705.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As I understand it - she had to sign an agreement not to take drugs , not to drink alcohol and not to 'indulge' in immoral behaviour.

<<He noted that all students sign a pledge based on Philippians 4:8 (including language about “whatever is pure”) that “extends to my actions, such as protecting my body by abstaining from sexual immorality and from the use of alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.” >>

There's only one way to become pregnant, as far as I know, which does not include medical treatment.

She has stated she will not be marrying the father. If she was using contraception - it failed and she became pregnant

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to be too graphic, it is possible she was raped and is choosing not to say so for any number of reasons.

The school is shaming itself, not her, with this decision. They have no idea what happened (unless it was an admin or teacher who impregnated her). All they know is she's pregnant and not having an abortion.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It was the policy at my Catholic high school that both the mother and the father would not engage in extra curricular activities for a year after a birth. It did not include walking at graduation, but it included everything else. The reason they gave was they were parents now, and a child needed care. The school felt that it was incompatible with their new levels of responsibility to have football, band, track, play practice or anything else, plus school work and parenting. And school and parenting were not going to be eliminated. In a year they had to prove they had childcare arrangements that made participation in school sponsored sports or arts after school possible. In that time the school and home parish aided in helping the students transition to balancing their new aspects with being students and parents.

Discussion of the sinfulness of what happened was left to the pastors and it was not ignored, but the school focused on keeping them in school, making sure they graduated and had plans for after graduation (be it college, trade or anything else), and establishing the family bond with the new child by not allowing school events (sports, band, play) to be a reason for dividing parents from children.

I thought it worked well.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
At my Catholic school, pregnant women were expelled.

I have found that to be the norm in former Catholic school people I talk to. And by norm I mean 99%. As I get older, I thank God that I went to the schools I did and had the priests and nuns I did. The Coal Region is not perfect. There are many flaws. But for some reason...the Catholic experience blended mercy, compassion and traditional Catholicism into something that kept many kids Catholic into their adult lives today. Something that was able to engage our daily lives but remain functional Catholicism, true to its own heart. I have several theories as to why...but that is an aside. It just remains the model I use to raise my children.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0