Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Here is an interesting article from fivethirtyeight.com:

The Christian Right Is Helping Drive Liberals Away From Religion

It appears that the association the Christian Right has assumed with the Republican Party is driving liberals away from religion...and specifically Christianity.

That leads me to wonder if the religion desires that only Republicans need to be Christian. It also leads me to wonder if Jesus would think that being a Christian is something that only Republicans qualify for.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

It appears that the association the Christian Right has assumed with the Republican Party is driving liberals away from religion...and specifically Christianity.

That leads me to wonder if the religion desires that only Republicans need to be Christian. It also leads me to wonder if Jesus would think that being a Christian is something that only Republicans qualify for.
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, A leading Evangelical pastor and one of Trump's spiritual advisers, has already declared that Democrats who profess Christianity are only pretending. So, yes, Christians who support Trump believe that Christianity is something that only Republicans qualify for.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting because I wouldn’t ever be either conservative or Republican. Ignorance , racism,homophobia, and misogyny arent something I consider to be Christian values and they ( at least the noisy ones) seem to espouse all of these.

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor

It probably stems from them rejecting all aspect of what they would to assess to be an internally inconsistent position. It would be a strange thing for an opponent to see the preaching of love, grace and slavation from one side of their mouth while they limit access to healthcare, maintain a private prison market that has lead to the largest incacerated population in the world and supports a military industrial complex whose influence spans the globe in the largest, most advanced and most expensive military in human history. This is paired with the insistance that Christianity should take primacy yet defend each word in a constitution of a secular federal republic.

This isn't speculation, the majority of my friends are either agnostics or atheists.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I've not found the word "Republican" in my Bible. I do not believe that we should support candidates based on their political persuasion, but on their character. I pray and ask God for the government that we need, not the one that we deserve. Once the election is over, we should continue to pray for whoever is elected.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Rev. Robert Jeffress, A leading Evangelical pastor and one of Trump's spiritual advisers, has already declared that Democrats who profess Christianity are only pretending. So, yes, Christians who support Trump believe that Christianity is something that only Republicans qualify for.
Interesting because I wouldn’t ever be either conservative or Republican. Ignorance , racism,homophobia, and misogyny arent something I consider to be Christian values and they ( at least the noisy ones) seem to espouse all of these.

Over the past few decades, the "religious right" have conveyed the idea that the only two issues that "really matter" with regards to politics are gay marriage and abortion. That's why you see Christian congressmen who are fiscally conservative and anti-regulatory getting labelled as "RINO" simply because they've opted to stray from the party position on one of those two issues.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It probably stems from them rejecting all aspect of what they would to assess to be an internally inconsistent position. It would be a strange thing for an opponent to see the preaching of love, grace and slavation from one side of their mouth while they limit access to healthcare, maintain a private prison market that has lead to the largest incacerated population in the world and supports a military industrial complex whose influence spans the globe in the largest, most advanced and most expensive military in human history. This is paired with the insistance that Christianity should take primacy yet defend each word in a constitution of a secular federal republic.

This isn't speculation, the majority of my friends are either agnostics or atheists.
I understand why Christians take a particular position politically. Personally, I think we should comment a lot less and pray a lot more. We should vote, according to conscience, for the person with the greatest integrity. Character should be more important than anything else.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

That may be a blessing in disguise . I do believe that Jesus is Lord but I am apolitical . ( Not right , left nor libertarian . Quite frankly it stands to reason ( as far as the awareness I have from the scriptures ) that God has a kingdom so I don't suppose I will get together with certain parties and tell God what we have voted for or against .
I would not want atheist or other religions associating this country or any country with Christ . There is no comparison .
Regarding the Republicans being homophobic , misogynistic , racist , etc. , the early christians in Rome were rumored to hate all people as they were anti-social but actually they shared their goods and ministered to everyone regardless of social class . I hate many things in myself which are opposed to God . I do not suppose God is a humanist .
John the Baptist was beheaded for saying Herrod's divorce and remarriage was unlawful and covetousness is said to be the sin of idolatry . It even states that he who would be rich has erred from the faith . Not sure where that leaves this country .
It seems that both liberals and conservatives are putting their hope in man . It may would come as a shock for them to see that they may be two sides of the same coin .

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip) We should vote, according to conscience, for the person with the greatest integrity. Character should be more important than anything else.
It's sort of adorable how Republicans/conservative Christians here in the US used to say that very thing...until this became the face of the Republican Party:
disabled.jpg

then none of that mattered, all that really mattered was that he would become President. It's kind of like all those Bible scriptures that disappeared for the eight years of President Obama's administration and then suddenly reappeared right when President Trump got elected. :sorry:
tulc(was really surprised when they were discovered to be back in the Bible again) :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I thought it was Trump who was driving everyone away from every thing. At least that’s what I get from Twitter. So take it for what it’s worth.

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He really said that? Not doubting you just have not heard that before.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually that’s what liberals label others and that’s not very Christian. You should pray for your enemies.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
But on a good note, Satan doesn't have to work so hard what with all the conservative Evangelicals turning multitudes of people away from Christ each and every day! He likely wears himself out with all the celebrating and getting drunk on all of those "liberal tears". :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over the past few decades, the "religious right" have conveyed the idea that the only two issues that "really matter" with regards to politics are gay marriage and abortion. That's why you see Christian congressmen who are fiscally conservative and anti-regulatory getting labelled as "RINO" simply because they've opted to stray from the party position on one of those two issues.
Frankly there is no longer a Republican Party. There is only Trump right now.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But on a good note, Satan doesn't have to work so hard what with all the conservative Evangelicals turning multitudes of people away from Christ each and every day! He likely wears himself out with all the celebrating and getting drunk on all of those "liberal tears". :)
Satan has been working overtime for a long time. He already has so many of the older church denominations in his hip pocket. Everyone loves those churches.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually that’s what liberals label others and that’s not very Christian. You should pray for your enemies.
. Liberals don’t support any of these , racism, homophobia , misogyny, ignorance about science and history, . And plenty of religious conservatives do . It’s not liberal labeling ,this is how the religious right behaves. Their getting their pantyhose in a twist behavior over gay marriage would be funny ,accept that it isn’t funny to espouse a form of “racism” just for gays over them wanting stable relationships . It’s pathetic!

Upvote 0

J03y

Cheeky lil roo
Aug 28, 2019
Swansea, New South Wales
✟19,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
AU-Labor
Have you tried to bring the Gospel to them?
Of course, but I'm not in an environment that fosters it. You see, almost all those few who aren't either agnostic or atheistic in my agegroup in this area are like census-ticking Catholics or Anglicans. Aside from me, myself, my fiance is Muslim, my childhood friend is a Lucifarean Gnostic and one of my best friends who is a Buddhist. Otherwise most in my agre group in this area are either identified or effectivly faithless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.