Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is unacceptable today. In the Old Testament God tolerated it but it was not the original plan. Matthew 19:3-9 shows this to be true. God permitted it because the hearts of the Israelites were hard. As Christians we cannot harden our hearts and we must submit to the will of God.

• Winner
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Bible it is tolerated but discouraged; the first polygamist was wicked, it caused conflict in some cases, Jesus said 'the two shall become one.' Elders are to be husband of one wife. There's no command not to though. I think there is some leeway to accomodate existing cultures (don't break up families in Africa over it), but monogamy is best.

One problem with it I see is how it always seems to be in oppressive, violent cultures. So, how would you feel about polyandry, or a double marriage system? If that is undesirable, are men less willing to share than women, or is it just that men are more dominant in polygamous cultures and don't care?

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian
How does the old, a man clings to his wife and the two become one flesh work in a case of polygamy.
Sounds a bit corrupt to me.. In fact, I look at it as sexual immorality.
A clear case of someone endulging their sexual appetite first, and placing God second, if at all.
It just doesn't add up

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I can't find any scriptures where God speaks against polyamours relationships.
I can't find any scriptures where God says He tolerates polygamy.
Many of the great men of God thru the Bible had more than one wife.
In Num.12 and 2 Sam.12 God stands up supports Moses and David with their wives.

In Mat.19 Jesus is asked about divorce not men having more than one wife. To me to try and make these verse speak against polygamy is to take Jesus' words out of context.

It was Roman that had a law that said a man can only have one wife. Israel when they came under the rule of Roman petitioned Rome and got an exception to the law so that they could continue to have more than one wife. Which the Jews continues to do for centuries while Christian writes poked fun at them not realizing that they were following pagan teachings and not God's teaching.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't find any scriptures where God says He tolerates polygamy.

See Isaiah 4:1.

Also look up "Levirate" marriage which is a form of polygyny. Some people believe that polygyny (the practice of having more than one wife) is banned in the New Testament. However, that is incorrect as Jesus was challenged by the Sadducees on the subject and he refused to ban it. See Mark 12, Matt 22, Luke 20. When he refused to ban it. The Jewish scholars said his action (more correctly, his inaction) was the greatest act of wisdom they ever saw.

Therefore, contrary to Christian teaching, polygyny is allowed under New Testament law just as was said by Martin Luther and John Milton.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Im Curious About Christian (Non Mormon ) Women Views On Polygamy? Do You Thinks Its Ok Biblically? Would You Be Up To It?

We can see a lot of good as well as bad examples in history. I would imagine it is difficult to maintain a happy polygamy marriage. Of course, there are some apparent successful ones. But we do not really know.

As for Christians, we better listen to what God tells us. It must be good for us not to be in polygamy.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How does the old, a man clings to his wife and the two become one flesh work in a case of polygamy.
Sounds a bit corrupt to me.. In fact, I look at it as sexual immorality.
A clear case of someone endulging their sexual appetite first, and placing God second, if at all.
It just doesn't add up

If you love your wife, then one is enough.
If you do not love your wife, the more wives won't make any improvement, but will certainly make the situation worse.

So, wise up.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I know a Christian couple, have started two churches, that are about 80 years old now that in the last couple of years of opened their marriage to love other people after decades of being married and are finding that they have more love and more fun in their life than ever.

I know a woman who struggles with relationship all her life and was never married. She entered into a relations and the man encourages her to have other relationships so that she felt more love as more love would over come the negative voice in her life. In her late 60's she is having the time of her life these day and thanking God for all the good that has come to her.

I know a man who sought to live for God all his life. Was married for almost 30 years. But as good as the marriage was things never quite worked and his wife divorced him. He now has 4 GFs that just love spending time with him and he finally feels his relationships are working the way God intended relationships to work.

So for some poly relationships work and bring growth. For others it creates a total mess. I've seen that happen as well. So one has to know themselves and know others. As with any activity we are good at some and not good at others.

• Informative
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know a Christian couple, have started two churches, that are about 80 years old now that in the last couple of years of opened their marriage to love other people after decades of being married and are finding that they have more love and more fun in their life than ever.

I know a woman who struggles with relationship all her life and was never married. She entered into a relations and the man encourages her to have other relationships so that she felt more love as more love would over come the negative voice in her life. In her late 60's she is having the time of her life these day and thanking God for all the good that has come to her.

I know a man who sought to live for God all his life. Was married for almost 30 years. But as good as the marriage was things never quite worked and his wife divorced him. He now has 4 GFs that just love spending time with him and he finally feels his relationships are working the way God intended relationships to work.

So for some poly relationships work and bring growth. For others it creates a total mess. I've seen that happen as well. So one has to know themselves and know others. As with any activity we are good at some and not good at others.

The more wives one has, the more energy one needs to pay to maintain a good marriage, if it is all possible. A man DO HAVE other important things to do besides marriage.

There is no free lunch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Of course we are to limit the sins we comment to where we don't commit any intentionally.
Thus we work to always love one another which is the 2nd commandment.

We are supposed to keep fleshly things to a minimum, not find additional ways to expand them.

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you love your wife, then one is enough.
If you do not love your wife, the more wives won't make any improvement, but will certainly make the situation worse.

So, wise up.

Sarah called her husband "Master" and said that any Christian woman who does the same is to be known as 'Sarah's Daughter'. See I Peter 3:6.

This ideal biblical wife selected mistresses and concubines for her husband.

Again, contrary to Christian teaching, a man is NOT restricted to just having one woman in his life as this is what the Bible teaches.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sarah called her husband "Master" and said that any Christian woman who does the same is to be known as 'Sarah's Daughter'. See I Peter 3:6.

This ideal biblical wife selected mistresses and concubines for her husband.

Again, contrary to Christian teaching, a man is NOT restricted to just having one woman in his life as this is what the Bible teaches.

Abraham's wives fight to each other. Jacob's wives fight to each others.
Yes, they obey their man. But even so, it is trouble enough to make the man headache.
And, today, there is no Sarah's Daughter any more. No woman will call her husband master, Christian or not.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
...Jesus was challenged by the Sadducees on the subject and he refused to ban it. See Mark 12, Matt 22, Luke 20.
ur, no.

Jesus is being challenged there about resurrection, not about marriage.
Even the nominal question, which is a resurrction question, isn't framed in terms of polygamy but of successive husbands.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God's Divine Laws are eternal. As I have proven to you, this includes the gift of polygyny.

I don't think it is a gift at all. That is the main point.

You are allowed to do many things. But they are not all benefit to you. I think polygamy is one of them.

Upvote 0

Percivale

Sam
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Southern Indiana
✟145,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Genesis clearly discourages polygamy, though not banning it, just as Moses dealt with divorce. The first polygamist was a violent man in the line of Cain. None of the patriarchs chose polygamy freely.

Unless you live in a very warlike culture, practicing polygamy will require other men to remain single, which is selfish and will tend to encourage sexual immorality.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Percivale ... can you show were God discourages polygamy? I've not found those verse.

Genesis clearly discourages polygamy, though not banning it, just as Moses dealt with divorce. The first polygamist was a violent man in the line of Cain. None of the patriarchs chose polygamy freely.

Unless you live in a very warlike culture, practicing polygamy will require other men to remain single, which is selfish and will tend to encourage sexual immorality.

Upvote 0