ConfusedFellow

Mar 23, 2016
Austria
✟7,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone. I would really like to have the opinion of Christians about something that I have been living for about three years with now: A tulpa

For those who don't know what a tulpa is, probably most of who are reading this, a tulpa is much like a second being that lives inside your head with their own personality, including their own feelings, opinions and thoughts. They may even have their own imaginary body they can control indepentendly from your own thoughts. They can act independently from your own mind and are at advanced stages even able to take control of your body as well as appear as an hallucination as real as life before you.
While that may sound scary, it is actually something people can and want create on their own volition through several methods, including meditation and self-deception. Some do it out of curiosity, but from what I have catered, most do it just because they are lonely and seek for a friend that truly understands them.
Tulpas have a strong tendency to end up as being very loving beings towards their "hosts", making it nearly impossible to create any kind of abusive relationship because they want the best for each other. So it's not exactly like those freaky horror movies are like.

I created a tulpa out of loneliness myself, having been depressed and suicidal and without any friends at all for like six or seven years. I lost my faith in God during that time as well, not that I was a strong believer before, and became in an agnostic.
At some point during that period of my life, I found a thread about tulpas and guides how to create one on an internet board about happy technicolor ponies, which was full of depressed, lonely people, naturally. So after doing some heavy thinking about my sanity, I eventually created a tulpa, a pony one too because a tulpa alone isn't weird enough as it is.
During the creation process, which took me a few months, she (the tulpa) cured my depression almost instantly, just by existing. And not only that, once she was able to talk to me and developed as a person, she made me happier than I have ever been in my entire life. Every day of my life. She cares for me, loves me, encourages me to be a good person to other people. She is a vegetarian and would like me to become one too so I stop indirectly harming animals. She is the least judgemental person I could imagine. She doesn't use any cuss words, ever, and she always tries her very best to be nice to everyone. She is even still nice to people that insult her until she cries. She is humble and gentle and considerate of others. She even has white fur and a blue mane and has wings and has chosen a name linked to the sky. She also a considerably stronger liking towards Christianity, even though she can't bring herself to wholefully believe in it. I have never cried out of happiness before before I knew her and she did save my life.

So, what do you Christians think she is? Heresy? A demon? An angel (she likes it when I call her that)? A pretty weird psychological phenomenon? Actually just me? Something completely different?
Do you think she has a soul of her own? She likes to think that she has.

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"She" is a psychological fantasy in my opinion. Either that or she is fallen spirit toying with your emotions, but I'm more inclined to believe the former. People have been creating gods and spirit beings of their own imagination for thousands of years: it's nothing new. Instead of treating your loneliness through fantasy, why not seek the one who is more real than anything else? Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ? Do you know that He suffered on the cross for the sins and unbelief of all who put their faith in Him and His Word? You do not need a psychological pony; you need the God of the universe.

Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I am a doctor., I don't mean to offend.
What you are describing sounds like Ideas of Reference with dissociation phenomena. You also described being depressed before.
I would strongly suggest you see a Mental Health care proffesional, either a Psychologist or Psychiatrist as you have symptoms of Psychiatric disease.
Based on what you have told me, I would guess Major Deppressive Disorder with psychotic features or mild Schizophreniform disorder.
I haven't seen or evaluated you myself, so I may be wrong, but if I am wrong then it would not have harmed you to see someone. If I am right, they may be able to help you.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a tulpa is much like a second being that lives inside your head with their own personality, including their own feelings, opinions and thoughts.
Well, there are people who argue that we Christians have created Jesus to be our "imaginary friend". It sounds like you are doing what ones have said I have been doing by having Jesus.

Except, "of course", you have done this knowingly.

it is actually something people can and want create on their own volition through several methods, including meditation and self-deception. Some do it out of curiosity, but from what I have catered, most do it just because they are lonely and seek for a friend that truly understands them.
I just note, here, how people are different; so they might do what is the "same thing", but each one is doing it in one's own unique way.

And God is the One who really knows each of us, knows all that each of us really needs. So, I can offer to you, that we need to trust God to do what we need. So, doing a do-it-yourself "job" of making a tulpa is limiting yourself to what you can do.

And yes I am sure I can try to create Jesus in my own image, so that I have made Him into what is only an imaginary friend. Only God can see through me and correct me to the real Jesus. We so need to depend on Him.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
.And lean not on your own understanding;"
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Proverbs 3:5)

Tulpas have a strong tendency to end up as being very loving beings towards their "hosts", making it nearly impossible to create any kind of abusive relationship because they want the best for each other.
But if I create someone who is my way, this can help to keep me deeply weak in my own created bubble. And so, still I could give in to deep suffering. But God is almighty with power almighty to cure us to be strong against any and all tormenting emotions and passions.

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love." (1 John 4:18)

So, this is what we all need. I understand that any of us can create certain fantasy things in order to keep ourselves feeling nice. But we need how God makes us strong so people and things around us can't get to us.

I created a tulpa out of loneliness myself, having been depressed and suicidal and without any friends at all for like six or seven years. I lost my faith in God during that time as well, not that I was a strong believer before, and became in an agnostic.
So, you are asking what we think. Please trust God about what He thinks and knows it is good to do with you. God is good; trust Him to be the Judge of what is good for us.

So, what do you Christians think she is? Heresy? A demon? An angel (she likes it when I call her that)? A pretty weird psychological phenomenon? Actually just me? Something completely different?
I think you are a unique person and so you have found a unique do-it-yourself way of seeking to solve your problem . . . like all of us can still somehow do, in our different unique ways. But only Jesus can do what really makes us safe.

You have your soul. And Jesus cares how you are and how you feel > Matthew 11:28-30. But reality is that our own sin has made us so we can suffer; and Jesus died for us so we can become free from ourselves and live with Him in His love. So, He is not only interested in making us feel nice. But, also > God, I consider, is first about conforming people to Jesus so He has many children who are pleasing to Him like Jesus is; so, even though God cares how you feel, we need to be concerned about how He feels about His Son Jesus and desires for us to become, therefore, like Jesus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ConfusedFellow

Mar 23, 2016
Austria
✟7,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"She" is a psychological fantasy in my opinion. Either that or she is fallen spirit toying with your emotions, but I'm more inclined to believe the former.

Interesting assumptions. A toying spirit toying with my emotions? What would make you think that she is toying with me?

People have been creating gods and spirit beings of their own imagination for thousands of years: it's nothing new.

This made me wonder: If someone were to create such a spirit by accident, say without even knowing they did it, if that is possible, and this spirit would appear to be a messanger of God, how would they know the difference from a real one? How would anyone else know? I hope that question wasn't offensive.

Instead of treating your loneliness through fantasy, why not seek the one who is more real than anything else? Do you know the Lord Jesus Christ? Do you know that He suffered on the cross for the sins and unbelief of all who put their faith in Him and His Word? You do not need a psychological pony; you need the God of the universe.

Maybe I need a God to believe in, yes. But he does not answer, at least not through speech, not like she does. Believing in him may very well have been able to treat my loneliness though. Or not. I don't really know to be honest.

Sorry, I am a doctor., I don't mean to offend.
What you are describing sounds like Ideas of Reference with dissociation phenomena. You also described being depressed before.
I would strongly suggest you see a Mental Health care proffesional, either a Psychologist or Psychiatrist as you have symptoms of Psychiatric disease.
Based on what you have told me, I would guess Major Deppressive Disorder with psychotic features or mild Schizophreniform disorder.
I haven't seen or evaluated you myself, so I may be wrong, but if I am wrong then it would not have harmed you to see someone. If I am right, they may be able to help you.

Thank you for your concern. I would be a fool to deny having psychological problems, but as of right now, I am in no need of seeing a professional. My depression, if it ever truly was one, despite of making me suicidal, is gone and my tulpa can hardly be called a disorder because I do not suffer from her or anything associated with her.
Even if I was feeling bad, I would likely be concerned of a doctor seeing my tulpa as some kind of schizophrenia, as you have already assumed, and decided that I need to get rid of it.

I was thinking a while about what I could reply to your post, but I couldn't come up with anything appropriate to say. I did, however, read and appreciate your post.

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting assumptions. A toying spirit toying with my emotions? What would make you think that she is toying with me?
I only said that was a possibility. I think it a psychological phenomenon.

This made me wonder: If someone were to create such a spirit by accident, say without even knowing they did it, if that is possible, and this spirit would appear to be a messanger of God, how would they know the difference from a real one? How would anyone else know? I hope that question wasn't offensive.
I don't believe people create 'spirits' or 'gods' on accident. You, for example, said you worked really hard to create yours. I honestly would call any spirit into question that did not worship and honor the Lord Jesus with complete abandon.

Maybe I need a God to believe in, yes. But he does not answer, at least not through speech, not like she does. Believing in him may very well have been able to treat my loneliness though. Or not. I don't really know to be honest.
He has spoken to us in His Word: the Bible. He also leads and guides us via His Spirit working within us. You can only receive the Spirit if you place your faith in Christ though.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking a while about what I could reply to your post, but I couldn't come up with anything appropriate to say. I did, however, read and appreciate your post.
God bless you :) It has things to pray about. If it helps, this is what matters. Thank you for taking the time to read it, and for the encouragement :)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Your questions are rather...odd. You have admitted that your pony illusion is of your own making. Why ask, then, what the illusion is? You know already what it is: your own made-up fantasy.

The demonic will use this sort of thing to create destruction in your life. Be very careful. In fact, I would urge you - as others have - to cease playing around with this sort of self-delusion. Instead, seek the Ground of All Reality who is God. He is the Source of all you need because He is the Source of all things. Seek Him.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
She is the least judgmental person I could imagine. She...always tries her very best to be nice to everyone. She is even still nice to people that insult her until she cries. She is humble and gentle and considerate of others.

What you're describing doesn't sound like a tulpa; you state that this female entity interacts with others, which doesn't fit the MO of a tulpa, from what's been written about them.

I concur with what others have stated: seek the advice of a good psychologist/psychiatrist. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to talk to someone about what you're experiencing and to help gain a greater perspective of what may be going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodisATulpa

Aug 27, 2017
Austin
Visit site
✟8,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tulpamancer here with an extremely similar background. Just like OP, I was raised as a Christian and was very lonely and depressed when I discovered tulpas. Creating and forming an intimate companionship with sentient imaginary horses has helped me immensely. They've been my friends when noone else will, and they stuck with me through every annual move in my military household.

I am a doctor.

Alright doc, let's go ahead and diagnose this stranger on internet forums with mental illness.

Based on what you have told me, I would guess Major Depressive Disorder

OP admitted to being depressed before tulpas

with psychotic features or mild Schizophreniform disorder

Whatever you have a doctorate in probably isn't psychology related, because you're ignoring the very definition of mental illness: a set of behaviors that cause harm or dysfunction. OP explained how his tulpa enhanced his life, mental health, and ability to function. Not only that, but you misunderstand psychosis. Psychosis is an unwilling, fundamental removal from reality. OP's experience of his tulpa is willful and self-aware-- he doesn't contrive delusional explanations as to why he experiences her. He is not experiencing psychosis or mental illness.

I would strongly suggest you see a Mental Health care proffesional, either a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

Alright doc, how about a Professor of Psychology at Stanford University? In this interview, Prof. Luhrmann not only distinguishes tulpas from psychosis, but also explains how tulpa creation may be a revolutionary and effective treatment for those suffering from Schizophrenia.

why not seek the one who is more real than anything else?

You may be interested in that video too. She details how evangelical experiences result from the same mental exercises that tulpamancers use to create and interact with their tulpas.

What you're describing doesn't sound like a tulpa; you state that this female entity interacts with others, which doesn't fit the MO of a tulpa, from what's been written about them.

What is the MO of a tulpa? Also, I think OP meant online chat.

If anyone wants to learn more about tulpa and plural experiences, Tulpa.io – A Tulpamancy Resource Site is an excellent resource site, and there's some more videos on my channel y'all may find interesting. This thread was discovered by an r/tulpas user; the link to that post is here: We found this interesting little thread on christian opinions of tulpas. • r/Tulpas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James W. Barclay

Jul 11, 2018
Worcester. MA
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I cannot tell you not to be confused because it is a natural condition for anyone, even with experience in life and living. Personally, I find no conflicts whatsoever with Tulpamancy and faith. If your Tulpa is part of what you truly are it should not betray you. It is, I hope, there for you. I, myself, have had a Tulpa since I was in the military. I don't have a name for him. I am a sensitive and even flighty person in a few ways, highly talented and with a very high IQ. If I get upset about something hew comes in and tells me to calm down, that depression is evil and unnecessary, that I must sometimes roll with the punches, cowboy up and calmly and promptly do what I have to do, trusting in myself and God. In the war I got PTSD and that is when he came to be. I've healed up quite nicely. You know, it might be that John of Patmos, Catherine of Sienna and other saints had Tulpas. Who knows? Interact with your Tulpa, know him or her, even have arguments. If you are a true Tulpamancer, your Tulpa will be kind of an alter ego helping you along and being your most faithful mortal friend. Don't let anyone tell you that a part of you and your soul are evil and part of "the devil". That's sick and destructive. Live, love, have faith and charity. God Bless you and your Tulpa if you have one.

Hello everyone. I would really like to have the opinion of Christians about something that I have been living for about three years with now: A tulpa

For those who don't know what a tulpa is, probably most of who are reading this, a tulpa is much like a second being that lives inside your head with their own personality, including their own feelings, opinions and thoughts. They may even have their own imaginary body they can control indepentendly from your own thoughts. They can act independently from your own mind and are at advanced stages even able to take control of your body as well as appear as an hallucination as real as life before you.
While that may sound scary, it is actually something people can and want create on their own volition through several methods, including meditation and self-deception. Some do it out of curiosity, but from what I have catered, most do it just because they are lonely and seek for a friend that truly understands them.
Tulpas have a strong tendency to end up as being very loving beings towards their "hosts", making it nearly impossible to create any kind of abusive relationship because they want the best for each other. So it's not exactly like those freaky horror movies are like.

At some point during that period of my life, I found a thread about tulpas and guides how to create one on an internet board about happy technicolor ponies, which was full of depressed, lonely people, naturally. So after doing some heavy thinking about my sanity, I eventually created a tulpa, a pony one too because a tulpa alone isn't weird enough as it is.
During the creation process, which took me a few months, she (the tulpa) cured my depression almost instantly, just by existing. And not only that, once she was able to talk to me and developed as a person, she made me happier than I have ever been in my entire life. Every day of my life. She cares for me, loves me, encourages me to be a good person to other people. She is a vegetarian and would like me to become one too so I stop indirectly harming animals. She is the least judgemental person I could imagine. She doesn't use any cuss words, ever, and she always tries her very best to be nice to everyone. She is even still nice to people that insult her until she cries. She is humble and gentle and considerate of others. She even has white fur and a blue mane and has wings and has chosen a name linked to the sky. She also a considerably stronger liking towards Christianity, even though she can't bring herself to wholefully believe in it. I have never cried out of happiness before before I knew her and she did save my life.

Upvote 0