Joel
Oct 4, 2004
North Carolina
✟1,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may be strange to most people, but I would almost always rather be completely nude, especially in nature. I'm 27 and I've been somewhat of a closet nudist for the last 10 years of my life. Theres nothing sexual about it for me, it just makes me feel happy and free. I'm never naked in front of anyone who is offended by it. It's usually just my wife and close friends who aren't bothered by nudity.

My question is, do you think there's something wrong with me? Is this sinful behavior, or do you find nothing wrong with it? Thanks.

Joel

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing wrong with you at all. I've been a nudist for over 40 years, and a Christian all my life. My wife and kids are also, and we are very active in our church. Most nudists that I know are also Christians, and most that I know embrace traditional Christianity, rather than liberal or new-age variations.

Many here on CF do consider it sinful, or at least questionable. I have taken their concerns seriously, and have failed to find anything even remotely questionable about it. My kids have a very clean, non-inappropriate contentographic view of the human body and sexual morality, and my wife and I have enjoyed 24 great years of marriage so far.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't get the appeal of being a nudist..

Does it give you some kind of spiritual high? Kind of like how some seek suffering.

I'm cool with nudists, just wondering what makes them tick.

Upvote 0

FreeInChrist88

Jan 11, 2009
✟37,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This may be strange to most people, but I would almost always rather be completely nude, especially in nature. I'm 27 and I've been somewhat of a closet nudist for the last 10 years of my life. Theres nothing sexual about it for me, it just makes me feel happy and free. I'm never naked in front of anyone who is offended by it. It's usually just my wife and close friends who aren't bothered by nudity.

My question is, do you think there's something wrong with me? Is this sinful behavior, or do you find nothing wrong with it? Thanks.

Joel

Just my two cents...

I used to think that nudity was utterly and completely sinful. I even felt guilty after my wife and I played "Adam and Eve" years ago when we were newlyweds. LOL!

Almost 8 years ago I had a real change of heart and mind on the matter. To make a long story short, I felt compelled to pray naked. I resisted the idea thinking that it was some fleshly temptation. I eventually relented and when I did, it was a giant leap into a deeper and more real walk with the Lord. Go figure.

I followed up and did my own research on nudity and discovered that there were Christians who were nudists. I was shocked! But then, it had never occurred to me that nudity did not have to be sexual. My study of Scripture revealed that nudity was not inherently sinful - there was no clear-cut prohibition on nudity.

So, I don't think there's anything wrong with you and I don't think it's sinful behavior when done in a non-sexual setting. (Of course nothing wrong with it being sexual with one's spouse! ;))

Upvote 0

FreeInChrist88

Jan 11, 2009
✟37,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Does it give you some kind of spiritual high? Kind of like how some seek suffering.

Ah. let me count the ways! First I think some of us are genetically wired to be nudists. OK, maybe it's not in our genes but we just prefer to be clothes-free when practical. There's something energizing and liberating about it.

From a spiritual standpoint, praying and worshipping naked gives me better perspective on my humanity and my place before God. Bottom-line I recognize more fully that I am man and He is God and that I am fully dependent on Him.

Socially, I feel more connected with others when we are all nude. Nudity strips away (no pun intended) some of the pretentiousness that so often overshadows social settings.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If you lived in a hot, humid area and spent hundreds of dollars each month for air conditioning, you might understand. Being nude allows you to keep your home at a higher temperature with a greater level of comfort. We keep our thermostat at 80° in warm weather and my wife and I wear nothing. We also love the freedom of movement, including for exercise. Many people also do housework nude, paint their house nude (paint comes off of skin easier than clothes), cook nude, and other activities. It's also great for reading, computer work, watching TV and sleeping.

Since my backyard is hidden, I do automotive service nude, along with other outdoor activities. Swimming is a great reason to be nude. It feels totally different without a swimsuit. I've also used a hot tub, played tennis and volleyball, and ridden horses while nude.

One could ask: "What is the attraction of clothes?"

Protection from cold is one obvious answer, protection from abrasion, sunlight, heat, radiation, and sharp objects are others.

But what about when these hazards are absent?

What's so great about being covered up when it's hot and humid, or wet?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Frying bacon or similar things is not a good idea, but a person is actually safer from liquid burns while nude than while clothed. The clothes hold the hot liquid against the skin longer than would be the case if it just splattered and ran off.

I wouldn't want to push that point, though. Either way is bad.

When it's warm, I do just about everything nude unless it's too risky or the neighbors would see.

Reactions: Justin3.14
Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Frying bacon or similar things is not a good idea, but a person is actually safer from liquid burns while nude than while clothed. The clothes hold the hot liquid against the skin longer than would be the case if it just splattered and ran off.

I wouldn't want to push that point, though. Either way is bad.

When it's warm, I do just about everything nude unless it's too risky or the neighbors would see.
Hmmm yeah I see your point. Where I live it's usually cold until summer time and the outdoors have some nasty poisonous plants so I've never met a nudist

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nudity is immodest outside bathing and other appropriate situations. Just you and your wife? Not a problem. But you shouldn't seek to be naked around strangers.

If I looked like a bodybuilder, you might have a point.

But even when I was young and thin, I didn't look like a bodybuilder, and I'm not young and thin anymore.

So when I'm nude, I HAVE to be modest. No one with a body like mine would brag about it!

;) :p :D

I know what you mean, though; the modern usage of "modest", which is "covering skin with clothes"

Is it immodest for friends to be nude together?

Is it immodest for family members to be nude together?

Since these people aren't strangers, it sounds like this is OK :)

Upvote 0

OBEY

Joel
Oct 4, 2004
North Carolina
✟1,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For me, it's just liberating. I've always felt that when I'm naked I'm just who I really am.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've always enjoyed being naked and so when I can I am naked. But this far north limits that activity.
Its been a blessing in my life and once I put off the legalism I accepted from some church sourced I felt the freedom we have in Christ much more than I before. Looking forward to summer!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does [being a nudist] give you some kind of spiritual high?

I don't think that "high" is quite the right word for me. I don't feel euphoric while nude.

What I feel is a sense of peace and of being unburdened. Social roles and ego-boundaries have been dropped, and I feel more at one with the external world. That peace could reasonably be described as spiritual.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do not get this--I know it feels good when I'm alone and it's hot--but that's it! Even if I looked like Sophia Loren at her very best--nope. :blush1:Soooo, did a word search--there are many, many verses these are just a few. It is not looked upon with kindness by God. In Leviticus, there are many, many verses. First thing Adam and Eve did, when they realized they were naked, was to cover up!---I don't know---I mean, there are certainly far worse things, and it is not one of the 10 commandments, but, come judgment day, and God asks me why I went contrary to these instructions----somehow, "It felt good" doesn't seem like an awfully good defense! If it had been OK with Him, He wouldn't have mentioned not doing it soooo many times, if at all. Plus, that's a part of that unique intimacy between husband and wife, and to be shared with no other. No getting around having to deal with a naked baby, there comes a time when they naturally do not want to be seen naked anymore--it's an invasion of their privacy. There is no one that I want to know that well, outside my husband.:flatt:

(Gen 3:7) And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

(Gen 9:22) And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
(Gen 9:23) And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.

(Exo 20:26) Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

(Exo 32:25) And when Moses saw that the people were naked; (for Aaron had made them naked unto their shame among their enemies:)

(Lev 18:6) None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.

(2Ch 28:14) So the armed men left the captives and the spoil before the princes and all the congregation.
(Isa 20:4) so shall the king of Assyria lead away the captives of Egypt, and the exiles of Ethiopia, young and old, naked and barefoot, and with buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.
(Isa 58:7) Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him, and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
(Hab 2:15) Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
(Rom 8:35) Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
(Rev 3:17) Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

(Rev 16:15) Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

(Rev 3:18) I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
First thing Adam and Eve did, when they realized they were naked, was to cover up!

When I read Genesis 3, I get no sense that God thought that it was sinful to be nude, and God seemed perfectly at ease with them being nude in the Garden of Eden. After eating the fruit, Adam and Eve simply "realized" that they were naked, and covered themselves up. This tipped God off that they had eaten the fruit, but there is no statement that nudity was sinful and against God's wishes. Sure, God makes clothes for Adam and Eve, but gives them no Commandment that they have to wear those clothes. The clothes seem to have the sole function of preventing the "shame" of embarrassment.

The quotes you give don't really show that nudity is sinful. They do show that nudity can be embarrassing, but those just seem to be cultural attitudes or symbolic statements, not statements of morality.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you read a modern translation you will see that the verses in Lev. are to understood as sexual relationships with close family members. So again nudity isn't what's being talked about. I think those verses are there because Moses saw the inbreeding among the Egyptian leaders and the results of that when he was in the temple.

Most of the other references in the OT are about armies coming thru and conquering Israel. When that happened portions of the population were taken captive, women raped, and many taken away naked to be sold as slaves. Naked was a symbol to show that the men couldn't protect their families from their enemies. Thus the shame.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say I have no desire to go around nude and do not understand why it would make one feel any different about oneself than they do clothed , but I see no ethical or moral problem with being nude itself. If one used nudity as a weapon or a tool to gain something that would be different but just not being clothed seems amoral.

Upvote 0