Christian New Wave?

apnudd

Jan 19, 2012
✟7,616.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Does anything like this exist in ccm (or even renaissance/baroque really)? I tend to listen to what's generally considered new romantic, synth pop, post punk and whatever early Tears for Fears is. But while I like, say, Depeche Mode for its music, some of the lyrics make me cringe ("People are people" is a perfect example of this, even if one agrees with it on an intellectual level).
The sensibilities behind Circle of Dust lyrics seem rather more enjoyable to listen to. However, that's metal and my ears too low res for that; I like the treble and bass voices to sound more distinct from each other. And yet I can only imagine christian rock being industrial. Any ideas?

Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, Christian new wave does exist. Following is a list of Christian artists who have done new wave or dabbled in the genre:

77's -- Most of their "All Fall Down" album is very new wave, though some of their blues and classic rock roots shine at times. One of my all time favorite albums, that still sounds fresh today. It's a masterpiece. They also did a tiny bit of new wave on their first album "Ping pong Over The Abyss", including the track "Renaissance Man" (which would later be covered by The Ocean Blue).

Vector -- Their first two albums "Mannequin Virtue" and "Please Stand By" are in the new wave style, some of the best Christian new wave ever produced.

Weber and the Buzz Tones -- They only recorded 4 songs, on a self titled EP. I'd like to see this on Cd someday, though you can probably find a digital download of it. Very synth oriented new wave rock. They were my #1 favorite Christian band when I was 12 years old (I'm almost 40 now).

Quickflight -- I still have their "Decent Beat" album on cassette. Very good, though it's lost some of it's freshness.

Daniel Amos -- They did some new wave in the 80's, some of it sounding like a cross between the Talking Heads and The Eagles, or new wave meets The Beatles. Their Vox Humana album is perhaps their most new wave effort. One of my favorite songs from them is "Mall (All Over The World)".

Terry Scott Taylor -- The soloist from Daniel Amos. His "Knowledge & Innocence" album is fairly new wave for the most part. The one track "Light Princess" reminds me a bit of Psychedelic Furs.

Steve Taylor -- He dabbled in new wave in his earlier days, including the song "Am I In Sync" (later covered by Circle Of Dust).

Steve Scott -- Yet another new wave dabbler, a perfect example being the tune "Love In The Western World".

November Commandment -- They put out a fantastic E.P in the 90's called "Exile Station". Very Depeche Mode in style, with an industrial flavor. It doesn't score high points for originality, but very high points for quality tunes and production. They also recorded one track for a Blonde Vinyle compilation album, though not as good.

Jamboree -- I have one 5 song album by them called "Melt Down". I'm not sure how new wave it qualifies, but it has some of that new wave flavor to it. There is one track on the album that I absolutely love, which is called "A Familiar Quietness". It sounds like a cross between slow new wave and new age (Jeff Johnson in particular). It's practically instrumental with it's beautiful piano, synthesizer, the sound of water falling, and clean crisp electric guitar that expresses deep emotion. But buried underneath is the quite mutterings of a person talking. A perfect piece of music, though short. The rest of the album I have barely played. Some of the members of this band, would later team up with Jenny Gullen under the name Hoi Poloii.

Joy Electric -- I love synth pop, yet I'm not a big fan of this band. Too much bleeps and blops for my taste, but I've heard at least one tune from them that I like. They formed in the 90's.

Andy McCarroll & Moral Support -- They recorded at least one album called "Zionic Bonds". Unfortunately it doesn't pass the time very well. There's some good tunes, but some of it I find pretty painful on the ears (due to the production and overly dated quality).

Some other CCM bands that did new wave or new wave flavored music:

Mad at the World, Painted Orange, World Theater, Flock 14, The Imitators, and Code Of Ethics (first album is great).

Another group that is worth mentioning is The Call, a group outside the CCM subculture that had Christian or spiritual themes (just like U2 or The Alarm). Their first four albums from the early/mid 80's was mostly a mix of post punk or new wave with classic rock, sometimes having a touch of blues. Two songs you might like from this group is "Turn A Blind Eye" (very post punk) and "Even Now" (kinda sounds like The Smiths going new wave).

PS. A lot of the groups I mentioned can be found on You Tube. Too bad I can't do links yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Christian new wave does exist. Following is a list of Christian artists who have done new wave or dabbled in the genre:

77's -- Most of their "All Fall Down" album is very new wave, though some of their blues and classic rock roots shine at times. One of my all time favorite albums, that still sounds fresh today. It's a masterpiece. They also did a tiny bit of new wave on their first album "Ping pong Over The Abyss", including the track "Renaissance Man" (which would later be covered by The Ocean Blue).

Vector -- Their first two albums "Mannequin Virtue" and "Please Stand By" are in the new wave style, some of the best Christian new wave ever produced.

Weber and the Buzz Tones -- They only recorded 4 songs, on a self titled EP. I'd like to see this on Cd someday, though you can probably find a digital download of it. Very synth oriented new wave rock. They were my #1 favorite Christian band when I was 12 years old (I'm almost 40 now).

Quickflight -- I still have their "Decent Beat" album on cassette. Very good, though it's lost some of it's freshness.

Daniel Amos -- They did some new wave in the 80's, some of it sounding like a cross between the Talking Heads and The Eagles, or new wave meets The Beatles. Their Vox Humana album is perhaps their most new wave effort. One of my favorite songs from them is "Mall (All Over The World)".

Terry Scott Taylor -- The soloist from Daniel Amos. His "Knowledge & Innocence" album is fairly new wave for the most part. The one track "Light Princess" reminds me a bit of Psychedelic Furs.

Steve Taylor -- He dabbled in new wave in his earlier days, including the song "Am I In Sync" (later covered by Circle Of Dust).

Steve Scott -- Yet another new wave dabbler, a perfect example being the tune "Love In The Western World".

November Commandment -- They put out a fantastic E.P in the 90's called "Exile Station". Very Depeche Mode in style, with an industrial flavor. It doesn't score high points for originality, but very high points for quality tunes and production. They also recorded one track for a Blonde Vinyle compilation album, though not as good.

Jamboree -- I have one 5 song album by them called "Melt Down". I'm not sure how new wave it qualifies, but it has some of that new wave flavor to it. There is one track on the album that I absolutely love, which is called "A Familiar Quietness". It sounds like a cross between slow new wave and new age (Jeff Johnson in particular). It's practically instrumental with it's beautiful piano, synthesizer, the sound of water falling, and clean crisp electric guitar that expresses deep emotion. But buried underneath is the quite mutterings of a person talking. A perfect piece of music, though short. The rest of the album I have barely played. Some of the members of this band, would later team up with Jenny Gullen under the name Hoi Poloii.

Joy Electric -- I love synth pop, yet I'm not a big fan of this band. Too much bleeps and blops for my taste, but I've heard at least one tune from them that I like. They formed in the 90's.

Andy McCarroll & Moral Support -- They recorded at least one album called "Zionic Bonds". Unfortunately it doesn't pass the time very well. There's some good tunes, but some of it I find pretty painful on the ears (due to the production and overly dated quality).

Some other CCM bands that did new wave or new wave flavored music:

Mad at the World, Painted Orange, World Theater, Flock 14, The Imitators, and Code Of Ethics (first album is great).

Another group that is worth mentioning is The Call, a group outside the CCM subculture that had Christian or spiritual themes (just like U2 or The Alarm). Their first four albums from the early/mid 80's was mostly a mix of post punk or new wave with classic rock, sometimes having a touch of blues. Two songs you might like from this group is "Turn A Blind Eye" (very post punk) and "Even Now" (kinda sounds like The Smiths going new wave).

PS. A lot of the groups I mentioned can be found on You Tube. Too bad I can't do links yet.

Nice post, Willing. In fact, I can't think of anyone I'd add to your terrific list. Tons of great memories coming back just looking over the names you posted. Still my favorite era for CCM.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Nice post, Willing. In fact, I can't think of anyone I'd add to your terrific list. Tons of great memories coming back just looking over the names you posted. Still my favorite era for CCM.

Thanks Mark. There's definitely others I missed. There was another Christian new wave artist called Iva Twydell (not sure if I spelled that right), but he didn't have a lot of staying power with me. He was also a member of After The Fire, who used to be somewhat popular. I think they started off as a Christian prog group, but ended up going in a mostly secular pop, new wavish direction. I listened to them a little bit in the 80's, but my sister was more into them than I was. She used to have a record of their's.

Upvote 0

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Mark. There's definitely others I missed. There was another Christian new wave artist called Iva Twydell (not sure if I spelled that right), but he didn't have a lot of staying power with me. He was also a member of After The Fire, who used to be somewhat popular. I think they started off as a Christian prog group, but ended up going in a mostly secular pop, new wavish direction. I listened to them a little bit in the 80's, but my sister was more into them than I was. She used to have a record of their's.

I have the first After The Fire album on vinyl. I always thought they hit a bit of bad luck when Falco's version of "Der Kommisar" became the hit instead of theirs. Good band, though.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I have the first After The Fire album on vinyl.

The only thing I have by them is a Cd single (three remix's of One Rule and a newer song).

Anyway, hear is some Christian New Wave from YouTube....Starting with a great music video from the 77's:

77s - Ba Ba Ba Ba - YouTube

Vector with their hunger and thirst....

Vector - The Hunger and the Thirst - YouTube

Weber and The Buzztones doing an OK song!

Weber and the Buzztones - OK - YouTube

Quickflight with it's remote control....

Quickflight - Remote Control - YouTube

And lastly, not officially a Christian band...but hear The Call doing "Even Now":

The Call - Even Now - YouTube

Upvote 0
P

PlanetPalmer

Another group that I was so sad that never took off is Walk On Water. From Norway, Sweden, somewhere in northern Europe. It's an unbelievably strong release with vocal stylings that rival TFF, Wham, Flock of Seagulls, etc. Don't even know if it's available anywhere. I may be the only person alive who still has their cd...

Some of Charlie Peacock's early stuff is really good too. He was a part of the first Vector cd.

I play some of their stuff on my stream at loudcaster. Search for Planet Palmer.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Another group that I was so sad that never took off is Walk On Water. From Norway, Sweden, somewhere in northern Europe. It's an unbelievably strong release with vocal stylings that rival TFF, Wham, Flock of Seagulls, etc. Don't even know if it's available anywhere. I may be the only person alive who still has their cd...

I've heard Walk On Water before, though I don't have any of their albums. I have some of their songs in my lastfm library of tunes, but at least some of those are closer to grunge than new wave. It must be from later material they recorded. There is also another Christian band with a similar name. They are called Writ On Water, sharing some of the same dreamy alternative leanings. Both of them are great bands.

Willing - thanks for those. I'd never heard (or heard of) Weber and the Buzztones. Now I have. A fine example of the era. As for the other three, nothing much more needs to be said - top notch. I'm still looking for the Quickflight on CD.

No problem! Glad you enjoyed it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 22, 2011
✟7,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some of Charlie Peacock's early stuff is really good too. He was a part of the first Vector cd.

I play some of their stuff on my stream at loudcaster. Search for Planet Palmer.

I have the Cd (and LP and a 7") too and they are swedes. In fact they have made one more CD independently released from their church changing style to Worship music

Upvote 0

DelanoR

Dec 27, 2017
Durham
✟15,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anything like this exist in ccm (or even renaissance/baroque really)? I tend to listen to what's generally considered new romantic, synth pop, post punk and whatever early Tears for Fears is. But while I like, say, Depeche Mode for its music, some of the lyrics make me cringe ("People are people" is a perfect example of this, even if one agrees with it on an intellectual level).
The sensibilities behind Circle of Dust lyrics seem rather more enjoyable to listen to. However, that's metal and my ears too low res for that; I like the treble and bass voices to sound more distinct from each other. And yet I can only imagine christian rock being industrial. Any ideas?

Try this Artist out! -> Franklin Boone

Upvote 0

DelanoR

Dec 27, 2017
Durham
✟15,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crs_7

Jan 14, 2019
Bridgewater New Jersey
✟15,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Listen to ØM-53

Defender

Upvote 0