heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Recently I heard God hint that I needed to avoid making money from ministry. I wasn't pursuing that at the time, but since then I have had several opportunities where that might have become a possibility. While we are thinking of this, I don't believe we need to run from structures, but to keep structures in line. The mature people need to share their experience, and help raise up the less experienced more carefully.

We might take it for granted, but this forum is a beautiful way to serve God without making money. It might be tempting to sell books or dream interpretation services -- and I don't see these as wrong -- but God also calls us to give and to sacrifice for the sake of His kingdom, and the growth of the Body.

Thanks for bringing this up. I think it ties in with Firewater's Folsom Prison thread, to some extent.

Upvote 0

Flishvick07

Feb 11, 2011
✟750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I play old gospel blues (which sounds nothing like what people think of blues) for people all the time. The lyrics to those songs are simple and easy to sing, so after about 30 seconds everyone starts singing with me, but its just an acoustic guitar so no one stands up and dances. this music is was also how Jesus came into my life, and now I can play songs like children of zion by rev gary davis almost exactly like the origional players with less than 5 years of playing under my belt. its been a God given gift for me i believe.

But these new christian rock songs dont give much of a chance for people to sing along who have never heard it. Neither is there any skill in the music to show dedication to playing a song for God. I have to practice many hours to play the songs I play, which shows dedication to successfully learning a song that does praise God and show His power. One of the differences between christian rock bands and my performing is that when people hear me, they are amazed and focus intently on what I'm playing and saying. They want to know what the song is, and they are silent in awe until they realize that it is Gospel and then they seem elated and begin to sing along to a song they never heard.

And those who arent christians STILL want to listen very closely because of the sheer complexity of the guitar part. They ask me how I make so many sounds come out of my guitar at one time. I tell them that I dont think about playing the song, I focus on the meaning of the song and singing the words and my hands just seem to know exactly what to do. and when they find out that I have been playing for 4 1/2 years, they are once again amazed because I shouldnt be able to play the songs that I do, especially when people who have played for 20 years cant do it.

When a christian rock band plays their music, non christians laugh at them and make fun of them. They can play the music after 5 seconds of hearing it and have no respect for them. whereas they are amazed by my playing and respect that God is my focus when I play them.

(I write too much lol)

Plus, I can play my music wherever I am. as long as there is a guitar I can play for people. And I dont need anyone to play with me, because what I play is sufficient as it stands alone. So I dont have to plan a concert, or find a place, or buy an amp, or pedal, or need a pick, or need to gather my band mates. I am able to play for those who need to hear it whenever it is needed. i can satisfy immediately the desire for god's love and awe inspiring acts. Something christian rock cant do

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have to practice many hours to play the songs I play, which shows dedication to successfully learning a song that does praise God and show His power.
Your music must be beautiful.
They can play the music after 5 seconds of hearing it and have no respect for them.
I sing harmony, and can usually add harmony in church when I don't know the song, because these worship songs use the same chord progressions. Then the timing is often unpredictable, so it takes a few rounds to get that straight.
The music leans on dynamics instead of complexity or intricate passages.

Sometimes the better instrumentalists get turned down in the sound system "so they won't confuse people."

Hm, off track on a rant. It's the heart of the worshiper that makes the bigger difference.

Upvote 0