USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been getting into Christian music lately and I'm hoping to focus on that which has a Biblical message.

One question I have is about praying for the heavens to open. Stephen saw the heavens open right before he was martyred. And there are other references to heaven opening in the Bible. But years ago, I remember hearing a preacher say that we shouldn't pray for this since that would be the equivalent of disturbing God on His throne, or something like that. It was someone who I now recognize to be a false teacher in the so-called word of faith / prosperity gospel movement. But it stuck with me and I'm hoping to clear it up.

Is it Biblical for us to pray for the heavens to open? Is it the equivalent of praying for Jesus' return?

In the future, I hope to add some other questions (or maybe even insights) about lyrics and music on this thread. If you have any of your own, feel free to jump in and ask your questions too :wave:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We are told by Jesus to pray for his return in "Thy kingdom come...".

But I would be careful about praying for visions. It's not for everyone. We are told instead to pray for wisdom. "He gives wisdom to all without finding fault".

Upvote 0

Healing with Jesus

merciful listener
Jun 5, 2014
USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is it exactly that you would be praying for when you ask for the HEavens to open? Are you requesting to see a vision? for blessings to fall? for the return of Christ???

Same line of questioning. I hope you aren't praying for a cliché you heard, without having any real idea of what it means.

I have NOT prayed this prayer!! Please re-read my post more carefully.

There is a popular song called Let the Heavens Open performed by Kari Jobe. Here is a sample of the lyrics:

Breathe on us
Spirit come
You're our heart's desire
Let the Heavens open
Let Your Kingdom move
All our faith and hope in
Our great God

I haven't listened to it since I wasn't sure if the message is Biblical.... hence this thread with my question.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have NOT prayed this prayer!! Please re-read my post more carefully.

There is a popular song called Let the Heavens Open performed by Kari Jobe. Here is a sample of the lyrics:

Breathe on us
Spirit come
You're our heart's desire
Let the Heavens open
Let Your Kingdom move
All our faith and hope in
Our great God

I haven't listened to it since I wasn't sure if the message is Biblical.... hence this thread with my question.
Please re-read my reply carefully. I did not suggest that you did are planning to pray this prayer. When I read "heavens open" I get one impression, another person may get another impression. There is no way to really answer your question without know exactly what you feel it means to "Pray for the Heavens to open" Hence the reason I ask you to clarify and did not assume.

Upvote 0

Healing with Jesus

merciful listener
Jun 5, 2014
USA
✟65,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please re-read my reply carefully. I did not suggest that you did are planning to pray this prayer. When I read "heavens open" I get one impression, another person may get another impression. There is no way to really answer your question without know exactly what you feel it means to "Pray for the Heavens to open" Hence the reason I ask you to clarify and did not assume.

Thanks for clarifying your attempt to clarify. I don't really know what it means... I don't think that what I feel it means would be important. It must mean something to God. What does it mean to Him, and should we pray for it?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for clarifying your attempt to clarify. I don't really know what it means... I don't think that what I feel it means would be important. It must mean something to God. What does it mean to Him, and should we pray for it?
God knows and can read the contents of the heart....and this is what matters to him, more so than the words we speak.

I can teach a child that a "bad word" is "good." The child would believe this and use it with good intentions. Now when this Child grows up and use it, knowing within himself that this is a good word....Do you believe God would account it to Him as sin just because the world say it is a "bad word?"

I think not. So the only thing that matters is what you feel and desire when you use and pray using this phrase.

But to cut to the chase.....It is unwise to use words, or phrases in prayer that you dont understand....I dont believe you would be harmed but that it would be asking amiss, if you will.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've been getting into Christian music lately and I'm hoping to focus on that which has a Biblical message.

One question I have is about praying for the heavens to open. Stephen saw the heavens open right before he was martyred. And there are other references to heaven opening in the Bible. But years ago, I remember hearing a preacher say that we shouldn't pray for this since that would be the equivalent of disturbing God on His throne, or something like that. It was someone who I now recognize to be a false teacher in the so-called word of faith / prosperity gospel movement. But it stuck with me and I'm hoping to clear it up.

Is it Biblical for us to pray for the heavens to open? Is it the equivalent of praying for Jesus' return?

In the future, I hope to add some other questions (or maybe even insights) about lyrics and music on this thread. If you have any of your own, feel free to jump in and ask your questions too :wave:
You can pray for whatever you want, and it's up to God to grant it or not. If we pray "according to His will" then we are confident we will get a positive answer.

Songs are songs - they are just using expressions, therefore "let the heavens open" is just an expression, which in context of the song means "let the church become acutely aware of God's presence," or "come Lord to make us aware of your presence."

I recommend we get our theology from the Bible, not from songs. But songs can encourage and inspire us to believe the truths we see in scripture.
TD:)

Upvote 0