floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Arrgh

Sometimes just because someone can do something for the church does that mean they should. My dad passed away last week, and put a notice in the paper for any of dads friends who may not have known.

Anyhow, this week, I get a letter in the mail today from the local Salvation Army, basically offering sympathy and if I wanted church support.

I'm mad. For one, these people had no connection to my day what so ever. I have a church, and do not want another one. Rang to express my displeasure, and was told that it was the ministry of some elderly lady in their church......

Do people ever consider that their brilliant idea for ministry may not be so brilliant, and that sending out unsolicitied sympathy cards to people who they have no connection to what so ever may come across as a cheap and tacky prostelysing tool rather than a comfort ministry

Grrrrrrrr. This whole thing just left me feeling cheap

P

Peaceful Dove

I am really very sorry about your dad.
But, you have the Salvation Army all wrong.

Ever hear of the FAMILY OF GOD? How about the BODY OF CHRIST.
Salvation Army are very fine brothers and sisters who have a heart for everyone.

I love your signature, "What we do in life echos in eternity". That could be the Salvation Army's motto.

I know you are hurting over the loss of your dad. I have lost both my parents and two children so I know what that kind of pain is. We tend to strike out and sometimes in the wrong direction. I think this time you might be doing that.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟283,713.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Arrgh

Sometimes just because someone can do something for the church does that mean they should. My dad passed away last week, and put a notice in the paper for any of dads friends who may not have known.

Anyhow, this week, I get a letter in the mail today from the local Salvation Army, basically offering sympathy and if I wanted church support.

I'm mad. For one, these people had no connection to my day what so ever. I have a church, and do not want another one. Rang to express my displeasure, and was told that it was the ministry of some elderly lady in their church......

Do people ever consider that their brilliant idea for ministry may not be so brilliant, and that sending out unsolicitied sympathy cards to people who they have no connection to what so ever may come across as a cheap and tacky prostelysing tool rather than a comfort ministry

I'm truly sorry for your loss. You are overreacting, but grief does that sometimes. Not every offer of help is a hook to lure you away from your church. It is not infidelity to associate with those of another church. If you don't want support from the Salvation Army don't respond. When I lost my parents I needed all of the support I could get and such a gesture would have been welcome.
Sadly grief is part of this fallen world. May your grief pass smoothly.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think receiving sympathy from someone who did not know you is a good thing. My dad passed away this last March and I would have appreciated cards....even if I did not know the people who sent them. It's not like they were asking you to donate his belonging to them.

I'm sorry for your loss Tenebrae

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Arrgh

I think that you are the one in the wrong in this situation. It sounds like they are doing a good thing. I think that your feelings are more about you and your issues. Lashing out at them is in poor taste.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,016.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Arrgh

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tenebrae.

I'm sure this lady meant well, and probably prayed before sending the card out. You could have been someone with no church connections who would have welcomed support. I've found in my hospital visiting that even people who say they have no faith, may ask you to say a prayer for them when they are distressed and in pain.
If this lady had sent you a card full of Bible verses, or preached the Gospel at you, there'd be more cause for concern.

I'm sorry you feel bad; you have a right to feel that way, but feelings change. In time, you may see the situation differently.

God bless

Reactions: Tenebrae
Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yep over reaction. When my mom passed this past December, all I had was Catholics and the Catholic church that reached out to me. I embraced it, cause their heart was good and I apprecieated their love and support. They didn't try to lure me away. Thank God the little lady had a ministry in the church. They are still using the older people! Praise GOD for that! Sorry for you loss.

Upvote 0

DianeL

Jan 31, 2008
✟8,728.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I can understand this, sort of where were they when he was alive, or sick (I'm so sorry for your loss), now he's gone, why are they offering now?

Both my parents are gone, if the Sal Army would have contacted us by mail after their passing, I probably would have just thrown it in the trash.

Not to disrespect the Sal Army, but as you said, there is no connection.

Upvote 0

disciple-ofjesus

Dec 23, 2009
New York
✟2,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can understand this, sort of where were they when he was alive, or sick (I'm so sorry for your loss), now he's gone, why are they offering now?

Both my parents are gone, if the Sal Army would have contacted us by mail after their passing, I probably would have just thrown it in the trash.

I had no connection to the Catholic church, but welcomed their love and care. Doesn't mean they wanted me to convert, or were trying to convert me. They reached out in love in my time of loss. I think it is awesome that someone reached out in love.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Arrgh

I'm sorry, Tenebrae. ((((()))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm just guessing...

When Tenebrae's father was sick, there wasn't any kind of notice in the newspaper or anything...you know, like an obituary.

Also, the SA DOES reach out to others over the course of the year. I guess I'm biased because, when my husband and I ended up homeless, a friend took us to the SA church (we desperately needed to go to church, but didn't feel like digging through the Yellow Pages, so we asked a friend whom we knew attended) and they were very warm and welcoming. Granted, it wasn't a perfect fit for us, and we only attended for a few months, but they WERE there when we needed them.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm so sorry for your loss, Tenebrae.

I'm sure this lady meant well, and probably prayed before sending the card out. You could have been someone with no church connections who would have welcomed support. I've found in my hospital visiting that even people who say they have no faith, may ask you to say a prayer for them when they are distressed and in pain.
If this lady had sent you a card full of Bible verses, or preached the Gospel at you, there'd be more cause for concern.

I'm sorry you feel bad; you have a right to feel that way, but feelings change. In time, you may see the situation differently.

God bless

Thanks Strong

The thing I have struggled with is that I know there was no ill intent or cheap tacky recruting meant, it still doesnt change the absolute revolting feeling it left in me.

Would I still refer clients to the SA's Bridge programme, or community services? absolutely

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

I did end up throwing it in the trash.

I had no connection to the Catholic church, but welcomed their love and care. Doesn't mean they wanted me to convert, or were trying to convert me. They reached out in love in my time of loss. I think it is awesome that someone reached out in love.

And? Your point. You found it helpful, I found it disgustingly revolting and horrible.

I'm just guessing...

When Tenebrae's father was sick, there wasn't any kind of notice in the newspaper or anything...you know, like an obituary.

Also, the SA DOES reach out to others over the course of the year. I guess I'm biased because, when my husband and I ended up homeless, a friend took us to the SA church (we desperately needed to go to church, but didn't feel like digging through the Yellow Pages, so we asked a friend whom we knew attended) and they were very warm and welcoming. Granted, it wasn't a perfect fit for us, and we only attended for a few months, but they WERE there when we needed them.

Thanks. This experience was absolutely gross and revolting I struggle to put words on how badly it affected me, it doesnt change the fact that I think the salvation army is a brilliant organisation that does alot of good in the community, and I am really glad they were able to help you in your time of need

Upvote 0

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Arrgh

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.

I hope you are doing okay. Take care.

Hugs and love from me and Grace. :groupray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Toronto

...is interested in Catholicism.
Aug 21, 2010
Australia
Visit site
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and about the tactless way in which you were offered comfort. I can only imagine your pain, and how such a lack of tact or consideration for feelings - even when offering comfort - can only make a bad wound sting all the more. D::hug:

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well, I'd say I'm sorry. But then I don't know you, nor, and correct me if I'm wrong, do most of these people here. So if I did indeed say I'm sorry, you would find it disgustingly revolting and horrible. The SA does amazing things, so perhaps the problem isn't with them, it's with your attitude towards them. What an amazing testimony to anyone else but you, that a group of like-minded people would care enough to apparently waste their time and send you a card, only to be dissed here, when you simply expect them to do what the world would do...nothing.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and about the tactless way in which you were offered comfort. I can only imagine your pain, and how such a lack of tact or consideration for feelings - even when offering comfort - can only make a bad wound sting all the more. D::hug:

Let me ask, do you know the OP? If not, were you lacking tact or consideration for feelings? This posts makes me feel disgustingly revolting and horrible, does that mean it's your fault?

Just asking, not really believing it, only want to ask the question. I think we need to be careful about painting such a nice act, or a nice post, in such bad light.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.