United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Holyrokker said:
What is "metal"? - What one person calls metal, another will call screamo, etc.
Hoharloth said:
gah seriously ...
Skillet is not metal,
it's not because we're talking about distorted guitars we're talking about metal.

second, breakdowns are core, not metal (unless when talking about 'metal'core)

third, genres do not get redefined every 5 years, seventh angel, tourniquet, deliverance, vengeance rising, they all were thrash in the beginning of the 90s and their albums are STILL thrash metal.

Mortification (scrolls era), Obliteration, Discencumberance, Incubus, all were death metal in the beginning of the 90s and are far from something else.
Once again, thank you for proving my point.

"Heavy Metal" was a term first used 40 years ago descibing the music of Led Zeppelin.

So, accordingly, Skillet would fit in that same category.

Upvote 0

kategra

Jun 24, 2007
Romania, Cluj
Visit site
✟15,160.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're just too old.

The fact is that you guys are both to young (and sorry for my impoliteness) :p and you dont seem to understand something: Heavy Metal ... is an old style appeared in something like 70's Iron Maiden, Led Z, so on ... ok.
In that period of time came the Metalheads they were devoted fans of this genre and in their circle of friends instead of saying Heavy Metal they would simply call it Metal. So ... my point is: There is no genre called Metal (only if you refer to heavy metal). I know that in our times we like to say about every band that creates music by distortioning guitars and a strong voice that they are singing Metal .... but its not true.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Once again, thank you for proving my point.

"Heavy Metal" was a term first used 40 years ago descibing the music of Led Zeppelin.

So, accordingly, Skillet would fit in that same category.

The fact is that you guys are both to young (and sorry for my impoliteness) :p and you dont seem to understand something: Heavy Metal ... is an old style appeared in something like 70's Iron Maiden, Led Z, so on ... ok.
In that period of time came the Metalheads they were devoted fans of this genre and in their circle of friends instead of saying Heavy Metal they would simply call it Metal. So ... my point is: There is no genre called Metal (only if you refer to heavy metal). I know that in our times we like to say about every band that creates music by distortioning guitars and a strong voice that they are singing Metal .... but its not true.

Looks like you said the same thing I had said earlier.

I was joking with TheThrill when I said that he was too old.

I'll be 48 at the end of the summer. I remember the latter part of the 1960's and some of the 1970's.

Upvote 0

BUCKFANDAN

Metalhead in Training
Mar 2, 2007
Tampa, FL USA
Visit site
✟15,508.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All That Remains, Angel 7, Antestor, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Balance of Power, Becomming The Archetype, Divinefire, Extol, Fearscape, Frost Like Ashes, Haste The Day, Holy Blood, Immortal Souls, Jacobs Dream, Living Sacrifice, Mortification, My Silent Wake, Narnia, Pantokrator, Savior Machine, Seventh Star, Still Remains, Devil Wears Prada, Lo-Ruhama, Underoath, Vaakevandring, Vanguard, and Zao are my faves

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Lately I've been listening to Demon Hunter. Not 100% which genre they fall into....but I don't care. I like them and I like the CD of theirs I got last weekend (Storm The Gates of Hell - comes with a DVD and stuff too)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lately I've been listening to Demon Hunter. Not 100% which genre they fall into....but I don't care. I like them and I like the CD of theirs I got last weekend (Storm The Gates of Hell - comes with a DVD and stuff too)
Nu Metal. And no, I'm not a hater.

Upvote 0