Christian men tempted by breastfeeding in public? (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can go and look at this site where this was posted. It shows a perspective that just shouldn't be dismissed, and it is a great shame for any with whom it is dismissed.

My Daughter Talks to Her Dad About Modesty
Gary Thomas

My Daughter Talks to Her Dad About Modesty | Gary Thomas

My youngest daughter Kelsey is strong-minded, as a college editor-in-chief (which she is) needs to be. That has led to some fascinating discussions on what it’s like for a 21 year old woman to sit in evangelical churches. Rather recently, she challenged the way modesty is often handled in local churches. In a follow-up email, she added some thoughts that I’d like to share with you (with her permission), to start the discussion on the best way we can teach this important biblical principle to today’s generation.

Dad,

So I never really got to finish my thoughts on why I thought the way the church has approached modesty in my experience is harmful. I pulled out a few thoughts from my journal and added to it here. This is really long, so if you make it all the way through I will be grateful.

In all honesty, there are some things that as a man you will never be able to understand.

You don’t get whistled at walking down the street. You don’t experience the feel of men’s eyes helping themselves to your body on a regular basis. You don’t get cat calls walking out of a coffee shop that only get worse when you put your head down, ignore them, and walk quickly. I’m sure you’ve had a girl whistle at you a few times in your day, but the fact is this isn’t a constant reality for you. And for me, and most women, it is.

I can’t think of the last time I went more than several weeks without receiving an unrequested comment or call from a stranger about my body. What you then, as a man, also probably don’t know is that it makes absolutely no difference how we dress. The type of comment might change (“why so covered up, pretty lady?” is as offensive to me as whistling at my sundress), but the frequency doesn’t. Men are able to objectify women with little provocation. In some cultures, seeing a women’s hair or ankles is considered tempting and evocative. Men can undress a woman with their eyes whether she is wearing a bikini or a burka.

The world tells women on a regular basis that they are objects. If they dress “modestly” and are virgins they’re called a prude. If they wear slinky tank tops and sleep around they are called a ... harlot. Either way, women are objectified and considered a sex object.

When women are constantly having this degrading message beaten into them all day out in the world, it would be wonderful if they could come into a church and find refuge from objectification. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Growing up, I went to my share of modesty talks and was told it was my responsibility to cover up my body so that I did not lead boys into temptation. I went to a private middle school that walked around handing out oversized (and smelly) t-shirts to girls supposedly not covered up enough. I have a vivid memory of sitting between Willy Hanson, who was sporting a cut-off, and a girl in a spaghetti strap tank top, when the head of the school came in with her bag of t-shirts and made the girl put one on and completely ignored Willy. In high school I got a rash from having to wear a shirt over my two-piece swimsuit at a church camp while all the guys were allowed to run around without a top at all.

This way of approaching modesty gives women the exact same message as the rest of the world: your body is a sex object. You are a sex object. Your body is dirty and needs to be covered up.

Telling women to cover up for men holds women responsible for men’s lust. And that’s rape culture. It’s no large leap from that to telling women it’s their fault they were raped because they were wearing a short skirt.

My freshman year at Baylor, I went to a seminar for all freshman women on basically how to not get raped. The whole time I was wondering why the freshman boys weren’t forced to go to a seminar called how to not rape girls. And you know why? Because it’s seen as my responsibility. It is my job to cover up my breasts so they don’t lead men to lust, and it is my job to not attract or flirt with a man in case this leads him to have sex with me against my will. At their nature, these two responsibilities are not such different things.

I dress modestly because I have known my entire life that I am loved and I have worth and I am valuable, but it is increasingly rare for women to grow up with an intrinsic sense of self-worth like I did (thank you!). Far more beneficial than telling girls to put on a t-shirt to cover up their bodies is to tell them they are loved. They have worth. They are valuable. They are more than a sex object. Because the world isn’t telling them that.

It is even more crucial for men to hear the same thing: Women have worth. They are valuable for far more than their breasts. No type of dress gives a man license to objectify a woman. It is men’s responsibility to change the way women are talked about and looked at by men.

Basically, I believe the church is objectifying me as much as the world. Yes, the church is giving women a different solution: modesty as opposed to parading their bodies around for men to enjoy. But a different solution is not good enough. It’s time the church stopped obsessing over the length of my skirt and changed the message all together.

This is me (Gary) again. This post is already pretty long, so I’ll refrain from making any other comments except for this short one: what Kelsey hits on that the church might be missing is that whenever Paul addressed relations, he spoke to the men first. He doesn’t tell wives to submit to their husbands until he tells husbands to become sacrificial living martyrs for their wives. Have we missed this with our youth? Have we made young women (rather than young men) bear the burden of dealing with lust?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can go and look at this site where this was posted. It shows a perspective that just shouldn't be dismissed, and it is a great shame for any with whom it is dismissed.

My Daughter Talks to Her Dad About Modesty
Gary Thomas

My Daughter Talks to Her Dad About Modesty | Gary Thomas

My youngest daughter Kelsey is strong-minded, as a college editor-in-chief (which she is) needs to be. That has led to some fascinating discussions on what it’s like for a 21 year old woman to sit in evangelical churches. Rather recently, she challenged the way modesty is often handled in local churches. In a follow-up email, she added some thoughts that I’d like to share with you (with her permission), to start the discussion on the best way we can teach this important biblical principle to today’s generation.

Dad,

So I never really got to finish my thoughts on why I thought the way the church has approached modesty in my experience is harmful. I pulled out a few thoughts from my journal and added to it here. This is really long, so if you make it all the way through I will be grateful.

In all honesty, there are some things that as a man you will never be able to understand.

You don’t get whistled at walking down the street. You don’t experience the feel of men’s eyes helping themselves to your body on a regular basis. You don’t get cat calls walking out of a coffee shop that only get worse when you put your head down, ignore them, and walk quickly. I’m sure you’ve had a girl whistle at you a few times in your day, but the fact is this isn’t a constant reality for you. And for me, and most women, it is.

I can’t think of the last time I went more than several weeks without receiving an unrequested comment or call from a stranger about my body. What you then, as a man, also probably don’t know is that it makes absolutely no difference how we dress. The type of comment might change (“why so covered up, pretty lady?” is as offensive to me as whistling at my sundress), but the frequency doesn’t. Men are able to objectify women with little provocation. In some cultures, seeing a women’s hair or ankles is considered tempting and evocative. Men can undress a woman with their eyes whether she is wearing a bikini or a burka.

The world tells women on a regular basis that they are objects. If they dress “modestly” and are virgins they’re called a prude. If they wear slinky tank tops and sleep around they are called a ... harlot. Either way, women are objectified and considered a sex object.

When women are constantly having this degrading message beaten into them all day out in the world, it would be wonderful if they could come into a church and find refuge from objectification. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Growing up, I went to my share of modesty talks and was told it was my responsibility to cover up my body so that I did not lead boys into temptation. I went to a private middle school that walked around handing out oversized (and smelly) t-shirts to girls supposedly not covered up enough. I have a vivid memory of sitting between Willy Hanson, who was sporting a cut-off, and a girl in a spaghetti strap tank top, when the head of the school came in with her bag of t-shirts and made the girl put one on and completely ignored Willy. In high school I got a rash from having to wear a shirt over my two-piece swimsuit at a church camp while all the guys were allowed to run around without a top at all.

This way of approaching modesty gives women the exact same message as the rest of the world: your body is a sex object. You are a sex object. Your body is dirty and needs to be covered up.

Telling women to cover up for men holds women responsible for men’s lust. And that’s rape culture. It’s no large leap from that to telling women it’s their fault they were raped because they were wearing a short skirt.

My freshman year at Baylor, I went to a seminar for all freshman women on basically how to not get raped. The whole time I was wondering why the freshman boys weren’t forced to go to a seminar called how to not rape girls. And you know why? Because it’s seen as my responsibility. It is my job to cover up my breasts so they don’t lead men to lust, and it is my job to not attract or flirt with a man in case this leads him to have sex with me against my will. At their nature, these two responsibilities are not such different things.

I dress modestly because I have known my entire life that I am loved and I have worth and I am valuable, but it is increasingly rare for women to grow up with an intrinsic sense of self-worth like I did (thank you!). Far more beneficial than telling girls to put on a t-shirt to cover up their bodies is to tell them they are loved. They have worth. They are valuable. They are more than a sex object. Because the world isn’t telling them that.

It is even more crucial for men to hear the same thing: Women have worth. They are valuable for far more than their breasts. No type of dress gives a man license to objectify a woman. It is men’s responsibility to change the way women are talked about and looked at by men.

Basically, I believe the church is objectifying me as much as the world. Yes, the church is giving women a different solution: modesty as opposed to parading their bodies around for men to enjoy. But a different solution is not good enough. It’s time the church stopped obsessing over the length of my skirt and changed the message all together.

This is me (Gary) again. This post is already pretty long, so I’ll refrain from making any other comments except for this short one: what Kelsey hits on that the church might be missing is that whenever Paul addressed relations, he spoke to the men first. He doesn’t tell wives to submit to their husbands until he tells husbands to become sacrificial living martyrs for their wives. Have we missed this with our youth? Have we made young women (rather than young men) bear the burden of dealing with lust?

Why are guys allowed to be shirtless at church camps, but girls have to wear a shirt over a 2 piece swimsuit? Why is the female back and belly viewed as immodest and sexual, but not on men? Personally, I could totally understand if they told both genders that they had to wear tops, but having different modesty rules for different genders seems hypocritical to me.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why are guys allowed to be shirtless at church camps, but girls have to wear a shirt over a 2 piece swimsuit? Why is the female back and belly viewed as immodest and sexual, but not on men? Personally, I could totally understand if they told both genders that they had to wear tops, but having different modesty rules for different genders seems hypocritical to me.

Well, you're not the only one. The church camp we go to in Maryland requires girls and women to wear "modest one-piece swimsuits", and any lady not suitably attired is given a T-shirt to cover themselves further (for what good it does - I guess these people never heard of a wet T-shirt contest). A small percentage of the guys also swim wearing T-shirts in addition to baggy trunks.

Of course, the correctness of any action is NOT determined by how many people do it.

My family and I usually spend a few days at our favorite nudist resort after a week at the Christian camp. We all wear our other "modest one-piece swimsuits" there (nothing). :p

The funny thing is...both experiences are "decent" and spiritually fulfilling! Go figure...

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, you're not the only one. The church camp we go to in Maryland requires girls and women to wear "modest one-piece swimsuits", and any lady not suitably attired is given a T-shirt to cover themselves further (for what good it does - I guess these people never heard of a wet T-shirt contest). A small percentage of the guys also swim wearing T-shirts in addition to baggy trunks.

Of course, the correctness of any action is NOT determined by how many people do it.

My family and I usually spend a few days at our favorite nudist resort after a week at the Christian camp. We all wear our other "modest one-piece swimsuits" there (nothing). :p

The funny thing is...both experiences are "decent" and spiritually fulfilling! Go figure...

How come you dont think they tell guys to wear T shirts? For some reason, why is a male back and stomach modest and non sexual, but not with women?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How come you dont think they tell guys to wear T shirts? For some reason, why is a male back and stomach modest and non sexual, but not with women?

Because people are nitwits and sexualize body parts in non-sexual situations.

A man's back and stomach are sexual to a lady who loves him enough to have sex with him...

To the rest of us...NAH!

Same with women's backs and stomachs (and other parts).

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Why do you have an issue with a part of a woman's chest exposed and not a man's?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why do you have an issue with a part of a woman's chest exposed and not a man's?

Because, with a few exceptions, men dont have breasts. And for thousands of years in human society, (the bible even speaks of it in the Song of Solomon) female breasts are sexual. You cant compare a simple STOMACH to breasts.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because, with a few exceptions, men dont have breasts. And for thousands of years in human society, (the bible even speaks of it in the Song of Solomon) female breasts are sexual. You cant compare a simple STOMACH to breasts.

Are you kidding me? I am all about them abs. Abs are to me what breasts are to you.

Regardless, it sounds to me more like you find breast feeding gross than sexy, and if you don't find it sexy, then lust isn't an issue.

Upvote 0

taxreliever

taxreliever
Oct 16, 2011
Maine
Visit site
✟8,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, apparently you find it acceptable for children to see breasts while they are young and being nursed, but after that it is no longer acceptable. Care to explain exactly why a two-year-old wouldn't get "weirded out" by breastfeeding but a four-year-old would?

That doesn't really answer the question of why a kid who was breastfed would have a problem with seeing another kid being breastfed.

For me, it would be because the children become more aware of these things. A two year old taking a bath with his mom is quite different than, say a teenage boy showering with his mom and yes, I'm using an extreme example to prove a point....there is a point where my wife and I would start to feel uncomfortable when it comes to nudity around our small children as they grow older.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For me, it would be because the children become more aware of these things. A two year old taking a bath with his mom is quite different than, say a teenage boy showering with his mom and yes, I'm using an extreme example to prove a point....there is a point where my wife and I would start to feel uncomfortable when it comes to nudity around our small children as they grow older.

Unless you are a practicing nudist, I would say that there is a big difference between a two year old male baby bathing with mom and a nine year old boy bathing with mom. That would involve exposure of genitalia. Breastfeeding does not involve the exposure of genitalia.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unless you are a practicing nudist, I would say that there is a big difference between a two year old male baby bathing with mom and a nine year old boy bathing with mom. That would involve exposure of genitalia. Breastfeeding does not involve the exposure of genitalia.

Yes, but it does involve the exposure/contact of another body part that is usually private and hidden. That's why the comparison makes sense to an extent.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, but it does involve the exposure/contact of another body part that is usually private and hidden. That's why the comparison makes sense to an extent.

Except that the various state laws that I have cited make it clear that women are free to expose their breasts in public while breastfeeding.

In addition, it has been pointed out on this thread that men were required to keep there chests covered at one time. Times have changed. Men are now free to go topless at pools, beaches, while doing yard work. Why should that not change for women.

Upvote 0
S

Sectio Aurea

2d9wa6x.png

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Except that the various state laws that I have cited make it clear that women are free to expose their breasts in public while breastfeeding.

In addition, it has been pointed out on this thread that men were required to keep there chests covered at one time. Times have changed. Men are now free to go topless at pools, beaches, while doing yard work. Why should that not change for women.

Legal doesnt always mean right. Think of the children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Legal doesnt always mean right. Think of the children.

And exactly how are children harmed by seeing a mother breastfeeding her child? If anything it would do them good to be exposed to a breastfeeding mother.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And exactly how are children harmed by seeing a mother breastfeeding her child? If anything it would do them good to be exposed to a breastfeeding mother.

How would it do them good? Some parents dont want their kids to see things like that.

Upvote 0

taxreliever

taxreliever
Oct 16, 2011
Maine
Visit site
✟8,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yup, I understand the difference (not the best example) but like Sam said, the premise is the same.

What bad would happen to the children?

How would it do them good? Some parents dont want their kids to see things like that.

Right, some parents (whether it's right or wrong, culturally acceptable or not) just want to parent that way. They do not want their children exposed to any nudity until they feel it is appropriate to teach/discuss in a setting set aside just for that talk.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.